HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Took my 16-year old daughter driving....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM

You are correct Hill. No kids, and the woman I love has only driven it once. I wasn't around for it, which is probably for the best.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 PM

My wife has also only driven the SS once , The 5 speed was the smart choice.
18 year old daughter drives her accord or the wifes mazda 6s . She won't mess with the 5 speed. Yes , Dad finaly wins. I rule !
Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 AM

My brother let me learn on his 63 Corvair Monza four speed in a cemetary. I even took my road test in it, in the winter and never got out of third gear. Parallell parked etc. I've been driving ever since.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
My daughter turned 16 recently, and she's going to go driving with the driving school in a couple weeks prior to taking her learner's permit. Being as she has never been behind the wheel, I took her to a large empty parking lot yesterday and let her drive my SS. It was a little nerve-racking, especially when I had her pull into a parking spot. I had visions of my front skirt being smashed up on the curb. The only good thing was that I had my hand on the e-brake at all times in case she lurched out of control (like hitting gas instead of brake).

The SS is not the best car to learn on. The throttle is VERY responsive, and the steering is very stiff, especially at low speeds (less than 20 MPH). But she didn't wreck the SS, so all in all it went well.

Anyone else let their kid drive their SS?
As a matter of fact, my daughter is 16 also. I have recently been taking her for lessons with my S10 4x4, which has an automatic transmission. I offered to take her for lessons with the HHR SS, but mine is a 5-speed. She is sharp enough to realize the power it has and is pushing me to let her drive our Suzuki Samurai first, just to get acclimated to shifting a manual trans. She WANTS to drive the SS at some point and has the same anticipatory smirk on her face as her dad. Sensible girl...

Meek torque; Friendly for kids learning to drive manual trans.

And no Ralph Nader BS here; the spring rate is much more progressive, provides vastly more travel and extremely more forgiving than the stock units. This is a Trailmaster suspension inclusive of re-radiused springs, nitrogen filled shocks and steering damper. 3' minimum lift via suspension components only.

I am the original owner...
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM

I let my sister drive my 5 spd SS at the local elementary school before she got her license. Before she drove my car she didnt know that manual cars have a third peddle but she did alright. Only stalled it when she stopped. That was enough for me.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 AM

Best to learn to be afraid of power under controls in an empty lot than to let them use all the power solo!!!! Props!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
...Anyone else let their kid drive their SS?
I don't have kids but I do not even let my wife drive my SS (unless it is an emergency or something). I am not sure she could handle the 290HP. She has a lead foot on the gas and brake. She slams them right to the floor every time.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by bobiroc
I don't have kids but I do not even let my wife drive my SS (unless it is an emergency or something). I am not sure she could handle the 290HP. She has a lead foot on the gas and brake. She slams them right to the floor every time.
Best to learn in an empty lot then!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by bobiroc
Thats from driving all those underpowered cars for all them years......!!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Fortunately my SS is an automatic. I can't imagine my daughter handling a stick shift. I know my wife can't.

I wanted a stick, but I drive so many NJ commute miles that it didn't make sense.

Quick Reply: Took my 16-year old daughter driving....