HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Took my SS on Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM

Took my SS on Vacation

I had set cruise at 72 and that lasted for half the trip form Binghamton Ny to Massanuten Va.

What I can say is it was very comfortable! My Wife agreed . (in my trans am she has the cat pipe issue in the floor). We had JUST enough room for us and the 2 kids plus our bags and a cooler that held about 8 bottles of wine on the way home!

We got 30.25 MPG going down, half with cruise and half doing almost 80 with traffic. 23 MPG through the mountains and 25 MPG half way back home doing 80+ with traffic. (we spent a day in DC).

Our kids did well without the DVD player in the van.

it was a great trip over all and have no REAL complaints about the car save for it's idle issue I posted in the issues forum.

I was very impressed with the long term comfort. We drove 2.5 hours before our first stop for lunch, another quickie 2 hours later for a kids potty break (4 and 7 years old) and then all the way there. 6.5 hours driving time).
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 AM

I've done some trips in mine too and I must agree...comfy and smooth.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 AM

Did you go down to the time share facility in Massanutten? We went with our friends a few summers ago and stayed at their time share. It was a really nice facility. I forget the name of the development, but it has the ski area and water park, golf courses, etc.

My only problem with long trip comfort is my left leg and foot get uncomfortable due to the fact that I can't stretch all the way out. My left foot rests on the dead pedal, which sticks out a ways from the rest of the floor boards. And there isn't enough room to tuck the foot next to the brake pedal. So recently I have been placing a small pillow under my left thigh, which lift the leg up slightly, taking the pressure off my lower leg and foot.

I find this all odd since I am only 6' tall and have the seat all the way back, and as high as far as possible. I'm not sure why they needed the dead pedal to protrude like this.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 AM

Sound's like you had a good trip!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sneezy
I had set cruise at 72 and that lasted for half the trip form Binghamton Ny to Massanuten Va.

What I can say is it was very comfortable! My Wife agreed . (in my trans am she has the cat pipe issue in the floor). We had JUST enough room for us and the 2 kids plus our bags and a cooler that held about 8 bottles of wine on the way home!

We got 30.25 MPG going down, half with cruise and half doing almost 80 with traffic. 23 MPG through the mountains and 25 MPG half way back home doing 80+ with traffic. (we spent a day in DC).

Our kids did well without the DVD player in the van.

it was a great trip over all and have no REAL complaints about the car save for it's idle issue I posted in the issues forum.

I was very impressed with the long term comfort. We drove 2.5 hours before our first stop for lunch, another quickie 2 hours later for a kids potty break (4 and 7 years old) and then all the way there. 6.5 hours driving time).
Sounds like a good trip, I have driven longer distances (without the kids along) and my only complaint on the SS was the lack of armrest. Is yours an auto?

Hum.... Cooler with wine.... Must have been white
Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Jersey, yes it was the time share. We exchanged to go there. we had a Villa in the mountains. Essentially half a house.

Esmarkey, Mines a stick. the lack of arm rest I have gotten used to. 5 bottles of red and 1 of white. The cooler was used to bring them home since we had no room anywhere else!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Sounds like a nice vacation in a great car. You're treating your family way too nice (jking)