HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Towing with an SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 04:18 PM

Towing with an SS

I'm considering buying a 700-900 lb. Lil Guy teardrop camper. The only threads I found were from 2008-2009. I learned that the Curt hitches were most popular. Some say that you would loose 10 mpg by towing a 1000 lb. trailer! Is this true? Has anyone pulled a 1000 lb. trailer that could tell me how it works with an SS? They say that GM doesn't recommend towing any thing with an HHR SS. But I have read that towing with a Cobalt SS-SC is all right. Looking for ideas before I buy a camper... Thanks ,john
Old 06-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

People will PROBABLY tell you it "IS ALRIGHT" towing with the SS also. But for safety and longevity sake, I would say it would depend on what the manufacturer says ( I wonder what the Owners Manual suggests for the Cobalt SS/SC).

The SS is a different suspension and "cradle" set up. Then you would need to cut the bumper to accommodate the hitch or have a lowered hitch extension.

But anything can be done....just depends on the variables, money, safety, risk.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 PM

I don't know so much about the trailer itself, but, SS or LT model of the HHR has the hitch attaching directly to the "frame" of the HHR with 4 half inch bolts and serious looking square washers. I'm about to install a hitch on the wife's 2LT, and this should be more than enough to pull the trailer. As for tongue weight, and of course the cutting of the back panel on the SS models, LT's you don't, I should think you're good to go.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

From the owners manual:

Towing a Trailer
(Manual Transmission)
Do not tow a trailer if the vehicle is equipped with a
manual transmission.

So. If you have a SS with a 5 speed, then that's a double no-no in the eyes of Chevrolet.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
From the owners manual:

Towing a Trailer
(Manual Transmission)
Do not tow a trailer if the vehicle is equipped with a
manual transmission.

So. If you have a SS with a 5 speed, then that's a double no-no in the eyes of Chevrolet.
I know, Firemangeorge, What I've learned on older threads it's all right with a Cobalt SC/SS. And it's out of warrantee and I own it ,not GM. And doesn't the SS's have a more heavy duty trans than the LS/LT HHR's? I'm more worried about gas mileage...john
Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry about the way I worded the post above. Wasn't saying you shouldn't do it, just thought it funny that GM was so negative about the towing thing.

Yes, the SS has a beefier trans. The MU3(RPO code) or F35 Saab 5 speed. The regular HHR's got the F23 Saab.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Clutch?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:24 PM

The more I think about weak links or problems that might happen, the heat from the turbo would be my concern.
I drive a semi truck-a 2007 Peterbilt with a Cat C 15 twin turbo 550 hp. On a big hill , grossing 97000-100000 lbs ,the pyrometer will climb to well over 1000 degrees. When I down shift the temp will drop to 900 degrees. I don't know what temp the SS exhaust builds, but on a 3-4 mile pull through the hills with a 1000 lb trailer behind it , it's probably more than it's designed for.
As for as the clutch and trans ,I'm sure they are beefier that what's in a HHR LS-LT ,that's better for towing per GM's wishes.
I still welcome anyone's ideas or experiences towing with an SS before spending $3-4 grand on a teardrop camper. Maybe my 08 HHR LT 2.4 auto would be better? ...john
Old 06-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, I'll bring up one more area........

You will probably by borderline/questionable related to weight. Trailer 700-900 pounds (per your statement) then add just a few items and you rapidly approached or exceeded the 1000 pounds recommendation of the HHR underlings. But then you need to add 2 adults, clothes, sport gear, food, water, etc. etc. and you will probably exceed the underlings GVW also.

Now please understand, I may appear to be negative on this topic only because I would hate to see you on the side of the road someplace. It's a terrible inconvenience.....been there, done that.....so I learned a long time ago.

Besides you have an SS, why tow with a great handling, great performing, great looking, great car. It just SEEMS wrong.

Oh, and a search here might yield a couple of threads related to this topic. I remember someone with a tear drop who traveled the country and had no problems in an LT, I believe. Also saw it up in a Michigan G2G, although he was from another state, also.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks Snoopy, I welcome any advice . I definitely looked through old threads the other night. Most were from 08-'10 when these SS's were still new. I'd like to hear from people who sucessfully towed with an SS.
In my little mind, I think that that more Hp, 4 wheel disc brakes, bigger sway bars ,great looking car, would be the way to tow a neat retro teardrop to Van Nationals and other van-in's several times a year. I don't plan to use it daily as a trailer toter. thanks...john

Quick Reply: Towing with an SS