HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Transmission question(Comp Mode)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Transmission question(Comp Mode)

My 09 has been doing an odd thing ever since I bought it. My dealer thinks it's normal.....I dont. Maybe you guys can help?
When I am in comp mode and I start from a stop(normal driving,no nailing it)when it shifts from first to second, the tranny slips. Sometimes if I do hammer it, it will slip too. It happens randomly. I cant see this as being normal because if you are racing, it will lose you time. Once the slip starts, you can hammer it and it will rev up and then shift. Dealer claims it is normal so the tranny wont blow apart.
It seems to do this only in comp mode. Again, I dont find this to be normal because sometimes it shifts nice and hard into second and sometimes it slips badly? I dont think that is normal by any means.
I hope I described it ok. Anyone?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:15 AM

Is this a 5speed? Or auto?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Auto.....
Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 AM

i have noticed this on my ls, more in I gear. It revs up a couple hundred rpm between shifts.
I was thinking of taking a drive in another hhr to compare.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:20 AM

What exactly is ‘comp mode’ I can not find a reference in my owners manual.

Do you mean manually shifting an automatic transmission as in a competition mode like drag racing?

I’ve never raced my HHR but I have stood on the peddle a few times from a standing stop just to see how well it will getup and go.

The shifts have been very crisp for me but I do not move the shifter manually, I just leave it in the drive/overdrive position.

The first time I did so I was actually shocked that it broke traction on dry pavement. I really did not think it would.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Mine is a 09 automatic as well, and doesn't slip at all. I have never had that happen to me, so I would say it isn't normal.

Last edited by Tyler Harvey; 10-14-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
What exactly is ‘comp mode’ I can not find a reference in my owners manual.

Do you mean manually shifting an automatic transmission as in a competition mode like drag racing?

I’ve never raced my HHR but I have stood on the peddle a few times from a standing stop just to see how well it will getup and go.

The shifts have been very crisp for me but I do not move the shifter manually, I just leave it in the drive/overdrive position.

The first time I did so I was actually shocked that it broke traction on dry pavement. I really did not think it would.
It,s an SS only option. Turned on it disables the TCS(traction control system) but leaves on the ESC(electronic stability control). This setting also activates the "Launch Mode" which is a rev limiter (approx.4200 rpms) that kicks on when vehicle is stopped but running(as in the starting line).
Old 10-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man

Mine lays down 5 feet of rubber if I want it to....
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
It,s an SS only option. Turned on it disables the TCS(traction control system) but leaves on the ESC(electronic stability control). This setting also activates the "Launch Mode" which is a rev limiter (approx.4200 rpms) that kicks on when vehicle is stopped but running(as in the starting line).
IDK, my 2LT has it also, & shifts fine in comp mode..
Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
The auto doesn't have a launch mode. I tried hundreds of times to "stall" my auto SS. I could never get past 2200rpm before it roasted the tires. Even above 1800rpm, all I would get is tire spin. It doesn't work! It only works in the five speed SS's. The sticks also get the nifty "no lift shift" as well. I did notice a little more aggressive shift points in comp mode however.

On a auto SS, there is no launch/Comp mode!

Dave

Quick Reply: Transmission question(Comp Mode)