HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Transmission question(Comp Mode)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
My 09 has been doing an odd thing ever since I bought it. My dealer thinks it's normal.....I dont. Maybe you guys can help?
When I am in comp mode and I start from a stop(normal driving,no nailing it)when it shifts from first to second, the tranny slips. Sometimes if I do hammer it, it will slip too. It happens randomly. I cant see this as being normal because if you are racing, it will lose you time. Once the slip starts, you can hammer it and it will rev up and then shift. Dealer claims it is normal so the tranny wont blow apart.
It seems to do this only in comp mode. Again, I dont find this to be normal because sometimes it shifts nice and hard into second and sometimes it slips badly? I dont think that is normal by any means.
I hope I described it ok. Anyone?
All newer factory automatic transmissions slip! That is now a fact of life with newer auto's. The newer transmissions, can and do slip, to maintain durability. It's really a catch 22. A trans that doesn't slip but produces hard shifts will last longer than one that slips gently into each gear. Most people don't want neck breaking shifts during their driving. Automakers try to please the common person with smoother shifts. The transmission must "slip" for the smooth shifts to happen. Those "smooth" shifts generate alot of heat and can destroy a transmission. After all, the number one killer of auto transmissions is heat. Sorry if I couldn't be more of help to you. I've downed a couple of ****tails tonight.

Dave
Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
IDK, my 2LT has it also, & shifts fine in comp mode..
Sorry Sleeper. I was just semi-quoting from the 2010 Owners Manual.
Pgs. 5-8 ,5-9. Both these pages have it listed as (SS Models Only).
Old 10-15-2011, 10:29 AM

@Grizzly old man, what is the year and trim level of your HHR?

I am just going to put this out there in hopes that it is close to what you are seeking. I was digging around in the 2009 Chevrolet HHR owner's manual and I see on page 3-52, there is a section that reads about Competitive Mode.

I just thought I would throw that out there, but once I get your model year I will be able to research in more detail.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2010SilverIceSS
The auto doesn't have a launch mode. I tried hundreds of times to "stall" my auto SS. I could never get past 2200rpm before it roasted the tires. Even above 1800rpm, all I would get is tire spin. It doesn't work! It only works in the five speed SS's. The sticks also get the nifty "no lift shift" as well. I did notice a little more aggressive shift points in comp mode however.

On a auto SS, there is no launch/Comp mode!

Dave
???? It doesn't have a launch mode??? I beg to differ as I've raced mine at the track many times and have launched the car anywhere from 1800 rm's to 3500 rpm's while in comp. mode. When launched anywhere above 2500 rpm's, launch mode in an auto SS will spin in 1st, "bog", then kick 2nd gear in hard then scoot like a bat outta hell (well, mine does anyway). From my experience the best lauches are had when stalling anywher between 2K and 2.5K rpm's, depending on track prep. If you want to get the tranny to shift better then hold down the trac button for 10 seconds to disable TCS and ESC. While in this mode (and leaving the tranny in I gear) I've noticed in casual driving that the tranny shifts smoother in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. SilverIceSS, push your trac button 2x quickly and tell me what your DIC says... it'll say LAUNCH MODE! Now hold that button down for 10 seconds until "ESC OFF" is diplayed and you'll disable most of the nannies. Another way to do it is to get a tune and remove the torque reduction parameters which are what many experience as 'tranny slip'.

Later
Allex
Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

What he said, Alex has it figured out. all three settings seem to act differently in different situations. If I'm serious about going some where quickly I turn it off.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by asanti
???? It doesn't have a launch mode??? I beg to differ as I've raced mine at the track many times and have launched the car anywhere from 1800 rm's to 3500 rpm's while in comp. mode. When launched anywhere above 2500 rpm's, launch mode in an auto SS will spin in 1st, "bog", then kick 2nd gear in hard then scoot like a bat outta hell (well, mine does anyway). From my experience the best lauches are had when stalling anywher between 2K and 2.5K rpm's, depending on track prep. If you want to get the tranny to shift better then hold down the trac button for 10 seconds to disable TCS and ESC. While in this mode (and leaving the tranny in I gear) I've noticed in casual driving that the tranny shifts smoother in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. SilverIceSS, push your trac button 2x quickly and tell me what your DIC says... it'll say LAUNCH MODE! Now hold that button down for 10 seconds until "ESC OFF" is diplayed and you'll disable most of the nannies. Another way to do it is to get a tune and remove the torque reduction parameters which are what many experience as 'tranny slip'.

Later
Allex
I think there is more "abuse management" in the 2010's than the earlier ones. Even with the TCS system turned off.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:47 AM

@ Spozo: yes that's what it's called. Abuse management is in the '09s as well, but aside from that I've been tuned to have the torque output reduced (i.e. torque reduction) in 1st and 2nd gear to reduce wheel spin and help save the tranny (Factory settings are 100% torque delivery in all gears BTW!). The way abuse management works, if you're on the highway and floor it, the ECU will see if you're trying to "abuse" the tranny and if it deems it so, will cut timing to 'save' the transmission. Sometimes you can feel it as the car will feel 'held back' in a sense until you back off the throttle.

Later
Allex
Old 10-15-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
@Grizzly old man, what is the year and trim level of your HHR?

I am just going to put this out there in hopes that it is close to what you are seeking. I was digging around in the 2009 Chevrolet HHR owner's manual and I see on page 3-52, there is a section that reads about Competitive Mode.

I just thought I would throw that out there, but once I get your model year I will be able to research in more detail.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Mine is an ‘06 LT kinda pumpkin orange in color it has aluminum 16” wheels, it evidently came with the six disk CD changer but no subwoofer. Other than that I think it is a standard options package. {that’s an oxymoron there}
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM

To alleviate confusion it will say Launch Mode when you are stopped only. Great fun to point it out to your passenger when coming to a stop.
My tranny will sometimes slip 1st to 2nd when in Comp Mode. Can be quite unnerving.
Asanti, thanks for the launch tips! I am considerng HPtuners to clean up the shifts and add a little more up.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 PM

My 09 SS is a auto, Trifecta tuned, and so far tranny has'nt slipped in any mode, and under some pretty hard driving.
I tested all the modes under different conditions, and traction control off, launch control on, and ESC on works the best for me.
One thing I caution anyone not to do[unless you want some serious drama] is on a autocross course, or twisties, do not turn ESC off. ESC off is just asking for trouble[with a tune], as it lights the tires hard, pushes the front end, and gets almost uncontrolable in turns. A real handful. Been there-done that! ESC was put there to save your bacon. "Moon"

Quick Reply: Transmission question(Comp Mode)