HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

what if i drive around with the lid off my air box

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 PM

what if i drive around with the lid off my air box

like the title says, what if i drive around with the lid off, it makes the spool sounds soooooooooooooooo goooooooood and the diverter valve sounds amazing! but my buddy says its really bad for it, is he right?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

If the air is bypassing the filter with the lid off, of course it's bad for it. But if your air is still being filtered, it shouldn't be a problem (until it starts to rain).

But then again, I may be totally wrong. :)
Old 09-09-2011, 02:57 PM

i still have the air filter in, i just dont have the lid on it. i think in really heavy rain there is a problem but besides that i think it will be too
Old 09-09-2011, 03:47 PM

The air will not be as "cold" as from the fender well.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:09 PM

i have been curious to see how this effects the fuel trims. is taking the lid off letting more air in, or less air? if the lid is off the box is no longer pressurized per say so exactly how does that effect the airflow? the stock ecm is only calibrated for stock so either way the fuel trims would be effected i would think. i have never seen actual data posted for this.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Sounds good huh?? It is close to what "moon" did just using warmer air, folks say my intercooler is too big anyway. If its not throwing codes it is prolly sucking close to the same air. Moon said you can hear the BOV a block away was he exaggerating or not ?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM

one thing i have learned with this car is things can be very wrong and not throw a code. right now i have a boost leak...no code. my fuel trims are +/- 20% as a result and still no code. i am running so lean it is dangerous....still no code. that is why i ask.

what intercooler are you running? and without the muffling and restriction of the stock intake box, the turbo whistle and the bypass valve are very audible. a block...maybe not but probably pretty close if it was real quiet outside.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
i have been curious to see how this effects the fuel trims. is taking the lid off letting more air in, or less air? if the lid is off the box is no longer pressurized per say so exactly how does that effect the airflow? the stock ecm is only calibrated for stock so either way the fuel trims would be effected i would think. i have never seen actual data posted for this.
Pressurized? I don't think that is a good desciption. It's a box with an open tube to the fenderwell. I may be wrong.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Pressurized? I don't think that is a good desciption. It's a box with an open tube to the fenderwell. I may be wrong.
yeah im not sure if that's what im trying to say but cram air through the tube in the fenderwell into the airbox with the lid closed and there is in my theory more of a suction going on...take the lid off the box and it is trying to suck the air from two different places...or maybe just the one that provides more air....im not sure....that's part of what i think has not been determined.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Guess we will have to wait to see what ChevySSguy says when he gets back from driving it around. It would be handy to have a Aeroforce on it to ask. Maybe Asanti will try it both ways and tell us how it comes out.

Quick Reply: what if i drive around with the lid off my air box