HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

what if i drive around with the lid off my air box

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Guess we will have to wait to see what ChevySSguy says when he gets back from driving it around. It would be handy to have a Aeroforce on it to ask. Maybe Asanti will try it both ways and tell us how it comes out.
i could do a comparo but my trims are off right now anyway. once i get the leak fixed...assuming that eliminates the problem....maybe i will do a comparo and post the data if nobody else does so first.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ChevyGuySS
like the title says, what if i drive around with the lid off, it makes the spool sounds soooooooooooooooo goooooooood and the diverter valve sounds amazing! but my buddy says its really bad for it, is he right?
Dirt is always bad for any engine.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Sounds good huh?? It is close to what "moon" did just using warmer air, folks say my intercooler is too big anyway. If its not throwing codes it is prolly sucking close to the same air. Moon said you can hear the BOV a block away was he exaggerating or not ?
well ive been doing it all night and i have not even had a check engine light, im not sure if it is sucking in more air or what, the BOV is SO LOUD! its all stock, i just took off the lid and im leaving the lid in the cargo area just incase. but the spool is just amazing and its really loud. its not boosting any higher or lower. my coolent is at the right temp and everything is normal. except the amazing sound of the spool and BOV. when i took it off i was just expecting the spool to be a little louder, thats it. so i drove around and i was amazed! its definitly worth doing, its not a permanent solution but for right now, its perfect
Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Dirt is always bad for any engine.
i still have the filter on, just not the lid
Old 09-09-2011, 07:10 PM

My 2 cents on this debate, from first hand experience.
I am trifecta tuned[almost two years now] and running a custom made CAI.
Airbox lid removed, custom made lid plate, cutout for filter area, big hood scoop[hood cutout] delivering lots of cool air to engine compartment and filter. Setup is forcing lots of cool air into engine compartment, which is forcing hotter air out[along side the hood, and out the back of the engine, and supplying cooler air to filter. No codes and no problems.
Yes it is loud and yes you can hear it a block away [tested].
I have run it with the lid off[before CAI], back on, and could'nt tell much difference. With present setup, makes a lot of difference, since SS is running like "Jack the Bear" and I'm putting out all the power that I can hook up.
Airbox is not pressureized , and will suck air from easiest source. With lid off, the incomning air[at speed] does'nt have time to heat up much, before it's sucked into the intake[depending on cold day vs hot day ect.].
Lid off probably does'nt help much, except louder[much louder], but probably does'nt hurt anything either. Untuned, may affect fuel trims, but doubtful at best.
My recommendation would be to figure out what CAI setup you want, do that, then get tuned.
I know first hand that my setup works, and real good. I'm real happy with it, and have all the power I can hook up anyway. "Moon"
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM

moon, what cai would you recommend for me? im planning on getting the GMTU in a little while and i want to hear that spool, i love how it sounds now, i do wish i was a little louder, that spool that is.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 PM

Well, I have a couple of things on this that may help you. First, note that the cover HOLDS the air filter in place on the housings attachment nipple by locking it down on the locking boss located under the closed end of the filter. It does that by pressing the cartridge down and fixing it's position so that it can't come off the nipple. Running without the cover, your filter will eventually work free and come off letting the motor suck in unfiltered air, bugs, sand etc. If the cover is removed, how are you preventing this? Did you add a clamp? As for the engine getting more air, that may be a toss up as the suction box gives you cooler air (more power), and yes there may be some flow restriction there from the connecting piping. However, cover off eliminates the minimal restiction of the piping, but it also takes away your cooler input air leaving you with the warmer air of the engine compartment. Sure, maybe a speed on the interstate that may not be much on an issue but in traffic, at a light getting ready to trounce that PT Cruiser next to you, you are sucking in hot air and that will cost you off the line. Biggest concern is keeping that filter in place.

The couple of times I have changed the filter, I have found sand, grit, insects etc inside the housing and/or stuck on the exterior of the filter.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

K&N has a clamp
Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 PM

I have scan gauges which show codes and clear them on the fly.

But there are , for lack of a better term , Phanthom codes

driving on highway, no problem but only boost to 17 psi, i know thats not right, so i use the gauge to clear codes, it says codes cleared , And now will boost to 25 psi
for a few min. then clear the no code again.
If the gauge says no faults found , Your good , If it says codes cleared. You know theres an issue.
The stg 1 or factory tune will NOT alow you to F with any air intake changes'
without throwing p1010 sensor codes, Which will shut off the turbo.
It does with my SS any way, And i have tried about 15 diff ways to utilize the scoop for fresh air, And they all throw codes on the gm tunes.

If i would have only had 200 cash at CED 2011 , i would'nt be typing this.

BartSS is one of two peeps that got that .
Dam. lol

Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 PM

I have Trifecta tune, and I'm not throwing any codes, and showing steady 24 lbs. boost at WOT.
As for sucking hot air at idle[at stoplight] then romping it. I already have enough power than I can hardly keep the car hooked anyway, so the hot air sure is'nt hurting anything. Once I get rolling I'm getting lots of air under the hood. Faster I go the more outside air I'm getting.
If you have'nt tried it, don't knock it. "Moon"

Quick Reply: what if i drive around with the lid off my air box