HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

what if i drive around with the lid off my air box

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by PaulChristenson
they have a very serious point, people loose the thought that a filter is there to filter, they are so concerned about getting air in their motor that they dont think about making it clean air, i mean it does not pertain to all cars but for the majority, yes

Moon, that looks SO GOOD, thats how it should have came out of the factory, it is very tastefully done, none of that cheap Walmart stick-on ****. it looks really good, i mean look at the mazda speed 3, it has a hood scoop, why shouldnt we? the best part about it… its functional!

oh and i put one of those metal screw ties around the filter, just incase. its on there pretty tight now
Old 09-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by RobSSTurbo
you know if you want the sound of bov and want to keep you lid on. just put a spacers on the lid like i did on the stock setup.
Thought about that or a couple of cutouts with mesh screens. No water issues? What height spacers?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyGuySS
its like 60$ i mean. is it louder with the K&N on it? i go to a GM ASEP school so im sure if i get codes i can just clear them at school
If you're lucky you get no codes. If you are unlucky (like my car) you get codes followed in short order by a cut to 5psi boost (limp home mode). The filter resides on my laundry room floor now. NAPA sells our filter for a good price and I'll stick with that.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Victory Red SS
If you're lucky you get no codes. If you are unlucky (like my car) you get codes followed in short order by a cut to 5psi boost (limp home mode). The filter resides on my laundry room floor now. NAPA sells our filter for a good price and I'll stick with that.
oh thats terrible, how much is the filter at NAPA? i think i will do the 1 inch spacers, it looks like it will fit
Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 PM

The spacer I used was 1/2 fender washers.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM

ill try that, well i drove 30 miles in the HEAVY rain and everything is dry :)
Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Got to watch what washers you use. I used about 3/4" nylon spacers, and still got a little rubbing on the lid against the hood. I ran this setup for a few months during the winter here, during some real good rain, and had no problem, with the lid being raised in the front.
Not sure if there is any gains, but WTH, might as well try it, and see if you like it. "Moon"
Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyGuySS
oh thats terrible, how much is the filter at NAPA? i think i will do the 1 inch spacers, it looks like it will fit
NAPA Gold Air Filter
Part number FIL 9459
$33.99
Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 AM

For those concerned about a K&N running with no air box, I have a 15 year old '96 Chevy K1500 that has been running for 250K miles. First thing I did was remove that crappy airbox. Still running, nothing ever done to the engine. It's outlasted 2 transmissions so far. (tweaked for performance: drilled butterflys, throttlebody spacer, tuned chip, etc etc)

The '95 AWD Eclipse GSX turbo 2.0L, same thing, and it has too many mods to list. This turbo setup is where ours gets its roots.....the DSM.

Last edited by JeramieJJ; 09-18-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Victory Red SS
*Update*

Seems my car just isn't happy with ANY changes to airflow. Fabricated 1/2" teflon spacers at work and installed them last week. Sounded awesome! Followed by 4 days of intermittent CEL and limp home mode. Gave up yesterday and removed them.

Quick Reply: what if i drive around with the lid off my air box