HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

what if i drive around with the lid off my air box

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Victory Red SS
*Update*

Seems my car just isn't happy with ANY changes to airflow. Fabricated 1/2" teflon spacers at work and installed them last week. Sounded awesome! Followed by 4 days of intermittent CEL and limp home mode. Gave up yesterday and removed them.
Maybe your sensors aren't working properly, that you get codes on anything you try.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Keep in mind he has an '08 which was the 1st year SS model for the HHR. 1st year models always have their quirks worked out by the 2nd or 3rd model year. My guess is that his ECU calibrations are on the "safer" side from GM vs a say '09 or '10 model. Again, just my guess as I'm sure others with '08's have had better success w/ the K&N filter. Personally I never threw a code for the filter alone in the 19 or so months I ran it before I got my tune. I DID notice that my STFT and LTFT were whacked out though. But no codes for the MAF.

Later
Allex

Last edited by asanti; 09-19-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by asanti
Keep in mind he has an '08 which was the 1st year SS model for the HHR. 1st year models always have their quirks worked out by the 2nd or 3rd model year. My guess is that his ECU calibrations are on the "safer" side from GM vs a say '09 or '10 model. Again, just my guess as I'm sure others with '08's have had better success w/ the K&N filter. Personally I never threw a code for the filter alone in the 19 or so months I ran it before I got my tune. I DID notice that my STFT and LTFT were whacked out though. But no codes for the MAF.

Later
Allex
I do have the GMTU. HPTuners someday...
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Victory Red SS
I do have the GMTU. HPTuners someday...
Hmm, interesting. Try this out if you want and let me know if this helps with the CEL's coming on: re-install the K&N filter if you took it off, but make sure that the metal "rib" on the filter is facing down (i.e. the 12:30 position). Little trick I picked up from the Cobalt guys. Seems that rib causes enough turbulence to skew the MAF trim and throw the CEL. I'd also suggest taking a look at the MAF and cleaning it w/ MAF cleaner just to play it safe; then unplug the battery and let it reset itself. I pray that works for you!

Later
Allex
Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Hmm, interesting. Try this out if you want and let me know if this helps with the CEL's coming on: re-install the K&N filter if you took it off, but make sure that the metal "rib" on the filter is facing down (i.e. the 12:30 position). Little trick I picked up from the Cobalt guys. Seems that rib causes enough turbulence to skew the MAF trim and throw the CEL. I'd also suggest taking a look at the MAF and cleaning it w/ MAF cleaner just to play it safe; then unplug the battery and let it reset itself. I pray that works for you!

Later
Allex
I'll try it. Already have the MAF cleaner from the first go around with a K&N.
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM

whats CEL? im just leaving the box off and its still amazing! no problems what so ever
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM

Later
Allex
I have this filter on an otherwise stock '08 SS, and I just turned it 180* away from this position after cleaning it. It WAS in that spot before, but I decided to turn it to help even things out, even after a cleaning. No problems so far. That just seems REAL touchy to me. Will keep all this in mind if something pops up, though.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyGuySS
whats CEL? im just leaving the box off and its still amazing! no problems what so ever
check engine light
Old 09-19-2011, 12:42 PM

ohhh, ya, i dont have a check engine light
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 PM

what code is the CEL? it will let you know where the issue is. Stop at any auto store ask to use their datalogger for 5 minutes. I did often for my cars at times of tuning till I bought my innova 1360

Quick Reply: what if i drive around with the lid off my air box