HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

What would you be willing to pay? Reconstructed Title

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I'm adding a separate thought.......

Even if it is under GM Warranty, this vehicle apparently sustained major front end damage. It's essentially 2 years old and had enough of this damage to be "totaled" by the insurance company. My experience with most vehicles, especially front drive.....they are NEVER fixed backed to normal, when extensive repairs are made. If you desperately need a vehicle on a daily basis, I would be hesitant to purchase because of the possibility of CONTINUAL service/repair problems, IMO.
I have to agree with Snoopy. The only time I've see an FWD even close to normal after a total was one that received a TON of TLC from a body/collision guy who wanted it for himself. For this car to be a DEAL it has to be a STEAL! Get feedback from your insurance agent and work up from there, else go find another HHR.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I think GM Warranty is forfeited when it is a "salvaged" vehicle and title.

ChevyMgr. would know for sure, since he would handle something like this.
If it's salvaged it will not have any warranty from GM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi
In PA once it's classified "reconstructed" it's been fixed and passed inspection........... classified safe and rebuilt.
I wouldn't bet the "paycheck" on that.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Founding Member

My opinion on buying this vehicle is DON'T DO IT.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 PM

I haven't bought a car from this place (Ferretti), but a few years ago I was on their lot looking around. I can't really explain it, but I just got a bad vibe from the place. I don't think anyone came out to greet me on the lot but there were plenty of employees around. Aside from the issues with a salvage title, you might steer clear of this place. My .02.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Most likely some type of front end impact IMHO as the hood bumpers are way off from OEM. The passenger side bumper is extended and the driver side is retracted. Also, the engine compartment side rail on the passenger side is not flush like the driver side indicating to me replacement.

If the OP can negotiate a price that he is happy with understanding that any and all repairs would be customer pay. Go for it. I add, this body style is Notorious for water leaks in the cowl and "A" pillar area. If front end impact causing salvage title in all likelihood the seams have been compromised and could cause issues in the future.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 PM

In general, I agree with not buying a salvage vehicle. In New York, you have to bring the car into a larger city and they inspect it for stolen parts and make sure it is safe. I did purchase a Toyota Solara last year with a salvage title and was very impressed with the guys that did the work and sold it to me. Mine was a 2007 in which they replace the hood, front bumper, driver side fender, lights, etc. It had no "frame damage". I've been driving it for over a year and have had no issues whatsoever.
For me, it allowed me to pick up a car worth around $23-24k for $15k and it had only 13,000 miles. It is my wife's summer car and I'll keep it for at least 10 years. Believe me - I thought hard on this one and am truly glad I did it - but there certainly was risk involved.

I believe I'm the exception to the rule. Buying a salvage vehicle should really be done very carefully including: before pictures, so you can see what the damage was. The company shouldn't be sleezebags. There is such a thing as someone having a specialty in this area - but you really can sort of "smell" the attitude or coverup potential of the people.

Finally, it should be for someone who intends on keeping the car for years - like 10! Previous poster had it right - resale is very poor. The car should be a hi-line car where you can actually see the risk/reward. What good is it to buy an HHR and save a couple of thousand if you get a lemon and can't dump it. And again, if you're planning on trading it in three years, don't bother.

And yes, your warranty is gone. I think it's safe to say you should be saving a good 40% off used retail if you're going to do this.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:27 AM

I rebuilt an S-10 4x4 myself years ago that was hit in the nose. pulled the sheet metal, had the frame straightened, then put a used front clip on it. total investment $1500 and drove it for 4 years.

I think if you are going to do salvage, it is best to do it yourself. I had to save all receipts and have it inspected by the state. they only checked it for stolen parts and put it on the lift and looked at it to see if anything was obviously wrong.

Thats one of the problems with rebuilds there is no sure way to make sure the job was done properly unless you do it yourself.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by stranger
I wouldn't bet the "paycheck" on that.
I've owned both "salvage" and "reconstructed" vehicles. In PA once you go through the proper inspection process and the state issues a reconstructed title, you can insure and drive it like any other car on the road. Only problem is, the "inspection" can be performed by any licensed state inspection tech. So if the place that is fixing and selling the car is having their own tech do the inspection you can be sure that they aren't being real tough on them. From what I remember, the state requires 4 pics (1 front, 1 rear, 1 for each side), a copy of reciepts for repaired parts and/or labor, and a licensed inspection tech needs to fill out the proper form. That's it...pretty easy to get a title issued as reconstructed after it's been considered totalled or "salvage". Last car I did this to was a 1990 honda CRX back in 2000. The car was clean and only had 42,000 miles on it, even with the "reconstructed" title I still got $5,400 for it. Botton line is...check it out REALLY good and if you can get a good deal on it do it but don't expect to make money on it if and when you go to sell it.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 AM

And for $3,500 more you could buy mine with only 6,000 miles and not worry about it being totalled before . . .

Seems and aweful lot of money for a once totalled car . . .

Quick Reply: What would you be willing to pay? Reconstructed Title