HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

What's next

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM

The way it is now days I'm gonna buy some tires for my bike. I'm goin' for the human powered transportation mode.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by russruth
If GM is to survive then they have to do as you mentioned, add the european and Holden platforms.

Lately, I've been to the chevy dealer 3 times and nothing on the lot or showroom is exciting. The cruize is a bore, The Malibu is not ugly but not exciting, the Camaros are mostly yellow or orange and makes me feel like I should get a job at a Burger King, lots of corvettes, (every dealer seems to have a zo6 on the floor) and every dealer has about 20 billion tahoes on the lot.

I own three gm cars and want all American cars to succeed, but go to Europe, look at the Opels, the Fords in Europe and you go wow, those are exciting cars.

I know Americans are loathe to drop over $30,000 on a small car, but like the HHR has proven if packaged right a small car can do the work of a larger car, get better mileage, offer a better driving experience and not burn through $100 of petrol every time you pass a shell station.

As far as not having money for advertising, well I'm biased because I'm in advertising, but you can't sell anything world wide without top drawer marketing.

As far as advertising not moving any hhr ss's to make them profitable, then do the math. An added 10,000 sales of a discounted $25,000 car is 250 million dollars.

That's nothing to sneeze at considering the R+D had already been completed and the investment spent on the SS.

Really is it that difficult to keep the line open for 4 more months?

Why not sell some more?

IMO

JR

P.S. It would help if GM spent some money on dealer training, especially in Sales. While waiting for my car the other day, the things the sales person tells me about cars is frightening and so wrong.

If I was going to buy a car I would have left the showroom screaming.
Is I have stated the dealers have not yet gotten anything that was designed, Planned or styled post Chapter 11 yet.

As for Euro cars at GM ...I hate to tell you we already have some. The Regal is a Opel. In fact for this year they are even from Germany. The Cruze has been sold in Europe and China for a year and half already. Little was changed on either car.
Chevy is getting the RWD Hoden sedan first in a LWB police car and then a SWB sports sedan. They also are looking at the Holden Ute again but this time as a Chevy El Camino.

Platforms and cars will be mulit market from here on out. Only some of the Cross overs and SUV will be market specific.

Not a lot of R+D was spent on the SS. For the most it was a cheap car to create for the most. It had a shared engine and the work was already done on the suspension for the Cobalt. THe Bumpers and wheels were the greatest cost not shared.

GM would have done the marketing but you can't pay an advertiser if you don't have money. I assume since you are in advertising you like customers with money not ready to file bankruptcy?

The companies that have been making money did it on the backs of boring cars. Toyota made it mark with the Camry and Honda the Accord. Neither are fun are really that stunning in looks but they bring in most of the money.

Performance cars are not profit centers. Yes they make money but not much in the big picture. THey never have.

The few that do are the Camaro and Mustang. Say what you like the big engine heavy cars make a lot of money. Since they often share engine parts with trucks it just make it that much more profitable.

GM and Chrysler both have yet to show their cards. You will be suprised at what is coming. Just don't expect it by this summer.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 PM

I for one , Am excited and can't wait to see what will be on showroom floors in 5 years.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 AM

I will warn there will be some fun and great cars but!

With the pending CAFE laws and other issues by the goverment there will be some small underpowered cars out there.

Turbo's will become more common even in smaller lower powered engines. Most cars will lose weight and size. GM has a great Twin Turbo V6 ready for a while now but they needed the money to bring it to maket. It has been shown a few times at 420 HP already.

But we all need to understand not all cars are going to be AWD SS. They never will be. It is the plain average cars that carry the profit load and GM needs to get this on track. These are the cars that carry the load that let them spend the money on the fun cars. Along with Pick up sales.

The news of these cars will not leak out till GM is ready. When things happen it will happen fast.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I will warn there will be some fun and great cars but!

With the pending CAFE laws and other issues by the goverment there will be some small underpowered cars out there.

But back to the original topic. I do like driving my SS, and think it had great potential, but the more I drive it the less I really trust it. That's a bummer and when it comes time to replace it I'll probably look elsewhere, unless that Opel Sportswagon comes over.

(just please don't call it a Buick).

IMO

JR
Old 01-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by russruth
But back to the original topic. I do like driving my SS, and think it had great potential, but the more I drive it the less I really trust it. That's a bummer and when it comes time to replace it I'll probably look elsewhere, unless that Opel Sportswagon comes over.

(just please don't call it a Buick).

IMO

JR
Get over the name stigma. If you don't you will miss some very good cars. Most new Buicks will be Opels and Opels will be Buicks. They will not be the same cars they once were.

As for trust for everyone who has had problems there are many more that have not. Just the luck of the draw. The same thing could be said for most makes.

Buick is the best place for a better car with AWD to be placed. They will be in a price range that will suport the extra features. Chevy as a value leader just can't support vehicles with all the extra.s except for the Vette.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 AM

95 Impala SS
Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 AM

[QUOTE=THE BATMAN;516170]I for one , Am excited and can't wait to see what will be on showroom floors in 5 years. [/QUOTE

You should buy an early 2000's Trans AM WS6 Ram Air and do your mods to it. Would look like even more of a batmobile than the SS
Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by stranger
The way it is now days I'm gonna buy some tires for my bike. I'm goin' for the human powered transportation mode.
pllllllbbbtttt
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
I for one , Am excited and can't wait to see what will be on showroom floors in 5 years.
Yeah maybe then I'll be looking again... MAYBE

I don't care to replace my HHR, I just got it in May.