"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

All New HHR Owner's Check This!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:36 PM

Just got mine the end of April (LOVE IT!) Went on 4000 mile vacation, saw this when I got home and most all were loose.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Founding Member

Welcome welcome welcome!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:19 AM

So I *FINALLY* Checked mine, and sure as poop they were a little loose, I can see how it happened though, probably some robot pushing the fuses/breakers in and just didn't seat them all the way.

But I do have a Question:

If you look at Mike's picture of the fuse box, clear on the left side toward the passenger compartment (Up from the big + Terminal) is this little post dealy-ma-jigger, on mine it's covered with a orage plastic cap and is under the fuse cover...

What is that thing?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:30 AM

jayras...I just went out and looked at mine and don't see what you're talking about that's orange. Maybe you have a cover over the post connection there, that I don't have on mine. Can you take a picture of it and post it, if someone else doesn't know what it is?

Last edited by courthousedeb; 07-04-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:17 PM

Sorry for the confusion Deb.
In Mike's picture he didn't have a cap on it, so yo may not either..

But here's some pics to help guide you:

Old 07-04-2006, 03:09 PM

That's just the negative battery connection in case you want to hook cables up in the front instead of accessing it from the rear cargo area of the car where the actual battery is. Yours just has some sort of little cap over it. I would presume that is just something to prevent arcing (sp?) from occurring if you have the fuse cover off and happened to drop a metal tool on the post that it covers. Wonder what happened to mine?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:17 PM

Bizzare...
So you have to remove the fuse box cover to give someone a jump?

...that's just wierd.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
That's just the negative battery connection in case you want to hook cables up in the front instead of accessing it from the rear cargo area of the car where the actual battery is. Yours just has some sort of little cap over it. I would presume that is just something to prevent arcing (sp?) from occurring if you have the fuse cover off and happened to drop a metal tool on the post that it covers. Wonder what happened to mine?
I've got to disagree with you Deb. The jump start positive terminal is covered with the red cap next to the fuse box. The fuse box cover does not have to be removed to access. The negative "post" is a bolt on the strut tower to the right of the fuse box. Has a small "neg -" sticker attached. I'm not sure what the orage cap at the back of the box is used for.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:26 PM

OK...TX-HHR...I went back out and looked for what you said...and found it. Sure is in a weird place. Pulled the fuse cover off again and followed the wiring connected to it. It's a red wire hooked to that post that appears to be encased in plastic flex tubing that heads back to the firewall. Now, I am guessing that it is probably bringing power from the rear cargo area where the battery is up to the front end of the car and it's probably positive, rather than negative.

I'm sure Mike from SoCalHHR's, CH or one of those techno guys will stop by and see what we're talking about and set all of us straight. Thanks for the info...I'm learning something new every day here on the forum.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 PM

I feel like the odd man (or should I say person) out. I checked and all my fuses and breakers are nice and tight...nothing lose. Maybe it was done at the dealership if it is a known problem.

Quick Reply: All New HHR Owner's Check This!