"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

All New HHR Owner's Check This!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:52 PM

Looks like SoCal decided to take down the how-to's, etc afterall.

Glad I captured the stuff I needed when I did
Old 08-24-2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
I posted about this a while back, but since it's so important, I figured it should probably be a "sticky" in the Tips section:

Underhood Fuses Tip

Every new HHR owner should check this out.

There are also several other helpful tips on our "How-To's" page HERE.

Hope it helps,
Thanks for that info!! I actually stumbled on this myself.......being a mechanic, I was just getting familiar where everything is and whatnot, I pulled the fuse box cover. Just by chance, I was seeing if everything was seated and they sure weren't!!! I read this thread about 2 days later. You all have some great info here and let's keep it up!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 AM

Recheck the fuses now and then..I have found a couple that have become "loose" and needed to be reseated. Nothing major, just needs to be rechecked

Goose

Last edited by Goose; 08-24-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Goose
Recheck the fuse now and then..I have found a couple that have become "loose" and needed to be reseated. Nothing major, just needs to be rechecked
Good idea to add this to the checklist when doing oil changes.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM

I believe that red wire with the little cap on it is just used to bring power from the fuse box under the hood to areas inside the car that need power. Do not use this little stud to jump another car or your own. The cap is on the post simply to prevent any accidental arcing like mentioned before. The larger cable towards the front of the car on the fuse box is power from the battery in the rear of the car to the main fuse box. This cable is fused and should be okay to use as a jump point. One of the strut mount bolts on the driver side strut is used as the ground or negitive terminal when jumping (it is marked).
Hope this helped
Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Banned

Does anyone know why this thread even still exists? Nobody has ever proven that the fuses seated in the stock so-called "loose" seating cause any problems whatsoever. I think all this thread does is serve to make new owners needlessly nervous about the reliability of the vehicle.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Does anyone know why this thread even still exists? Nobody has ever proven that the fuses seated in the stock so-called "loose" seating cause any problems whatsoever. I think all this thread does is serve to make new owners needlessly nervous about the reliability of the vehicle.
I'm glad you asked this crafty.....

On my recently completed vacation I had an opportunity to speak with some old friends that still exist at the Milford Proving Ground and GM Tech Center. In speaking of the HHR they laughed at the "histeria" that had developed over the "loose fuse" issue. They were concerned because many people complained of having this problem......but NOBODY EVER had a fuse pop out to cause an electrical failure in any area (from researching dealer complaint issues in 100,000 consumer vehicles and over 4,000,000 test miles). They informed me that the lid of the fuse cover, under the hood, was specifically designed to prevent this. And, sure enough, after a couple of "beverages" we returned to my HHR and they demonstrated and displayed the design issue.

If you look closely, the inside of the fuse cover is honeycombed (under the drawing stickey) and provides only about and 1/8 inch clearance between the top of the large fuses and the honeycomb.......making it IMPOSSIBLE for the LARGE fuses to pop out.....check it out, guys. The smaller color coded fuses may pop out, but again, there is no record of it, and most of this discussion/concern seems to be centered on the larger fuse near the front of the holder.

An additional note.......

they did trace the unfounded and unsubstatiated claim to this and one other site dedicated to the HHR (after several dealers "clued" them in on customer concerns). It tends to slant our credibility in the wrong direction.

I also discussed several other member/owner concerns with them. But I'll limit my comments to when those issues are mentioned here.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Tight fuses make more backpressure!

Comments, Snoopy?

Hey, welcome back!! Hope you had a great vacation!
Old 09-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Joe....

I did have a great vacation in this wonderful and beautiful country . And, I had a great experience with the HHR......mileage, comfort, performance, handling, radio reception, etc. etc.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:24 PM

Great, Snoopy!!

Now quit skirting the question about tight fuses and backpressure!

Quick Reply: All New HHR Owner's Check This!