"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 PM

I'll be surprises if it takes me that long :-)
Old 05-05-2012, 11:13 AM

17 min hood up to hood down. It took me longer to charge the compressor to clean out the dirt/debrit than anything else. No cel and all seems to be well. I have noticed a drop in mpg lately, so hope this fixes it.

On that note, has anyone else noticed a mpg drop when they also have one of these 4 codes? Seem to recall I had the same issue last summer with the intake actuator.

Another side note....I don't remember noticing that the valve cover had the "exh" and "int" stamped into them before. Takes any guess work out of the equation.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

17 mins - nice!!! At this rate we should open up an HHR Camshaft Postition Actuator Solenoid Replacement Boutique.

We'd make a killing!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote from ChevyguySS -

I just checked Service Information for you and it says to change Exhaust CMP Actuator Solenoid Control

Circuit/System Description
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator system enables the engine control module (ECM) to change the timing of the camshafts while the engine is operating. The CMP actuator solenoid signal from the ECM is pulse width modulated (PWM). The ECM controls the CMP actuator solenoid duty cycle by controlling the amount of solenoid ON time. The CMP actuator solenoid controls the advance or the retard of each camshaft. The CMP actuator solenoid controls the oil flow that applies the pressure to advance or retard the camshafts.

Conditions for Running the DTC
• The engine speed is greater than 520 RPM.
• The engine control module (ECM) has enabled the CMP actuator.
• The calculated engine oil temperature is between −48 and +180°C (−54 and +356°F).
• The engine coolant temperature is between −48 and +143°C (−54 and +289°F).
• The CMP actuator is steady for 2 seconds.
• DTCs P0011 and P0014 run continuously when the above conditions are met.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ECM detects that the difference between the desired CMP actuator angle and the actual CMP actuator angle is more than 8 degrees for greater than for 20 seconds.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 AM

It would be fun if people noted which side their solenoid failure was happening on. I played the odds with mine and bought just the Intake solenoid but the problem didn't go away. I just lived with it for awhile since it didn't happen very often, until finally it started happening every time I drove the car. I bought the Exhaust solenoid and now all is well.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by css9450
It would be fun if people noted which side their solenoid failure was happening on. I played the odds with mine and bought just the Intake solenoid but the problem didn't go away. I just lived with it for awhile since it didn't happen very often, until finally it started happening every time I drove the car. I bought the Exhaust solenoid and now all is well.
????? And just how would that help you? Come on man, think about it. Without getting the codes read, it's a total crapshoot. The principle here is very elementary.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
????? And just how would that help you? Come on man, think about it. Without getting the codes read, it's a total crapshoot. The principle here is very elementary.
Hmmm, that's a good point. I was certainly guessing wasn't I LOL. I didn't go get the codes read because I've had poor luck getting them read previously; Autozone does it for free but for some reason half the time the store either doesn't have the scan tool or the guy can't figure out how to make it work (my own tool is OBD I only).

Oh well. Anyway, it would still be interesting to know which one fails more often, or if its 50/50.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Lol - right on. I bet if someone took the time and came up with stats on the failures and said 75% of the time it was the exhaust solenoid - and it turned out it was the intake - they would be complaining here. So I ain't gonna post no stats -

Hey guy, get yourself a newer code reader - they are so handy and are indispensable with today's vehicles. And handy on friends and relatives vehicles too. Glad you got it resolved anyway.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
whopper- Didn't VVT get added in '09 on the 2.2 ?? IDK ?
Just wanted to add to the hive mind. Yes the 2009 2.2 has the camshaft position actuator solenoid. a.k.a. VVT. And I'm throwing the P0013 code (exhaust).
Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Solenoids VVT

I bought both at the same time and changed both, it has been over 3 years and no more coded or hard shifting, thanks to Whooper, I owe tou 5 quarts of you know what as I dont want to mention THAT WORD.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14