"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Yup, the intake is definitely bad - replace it. You will be good to go.

The FSM manual says a reading of between 8 and 12 Ohms is what is desired. Your 13.5 Ohms is within the tolerances of both your meter and the solenoid. No need to replace it.

No, not over thinking, it is just hard to communicate sufficiently to each of our desires.

What is interesting about this circuit is that the solenoid moves something within the engine and then a “sensor” detects if the adjustment is proper and the computer(ECM) re-adjusts the commands to the solenoid. So the computer will correct a slight error, such as your 13.5 ohms, and the parts do not have to be of NASA quality.

The electrical test is by far the easiest way to test this solenoid and if it fails the electrical test it is indeed bad and needs to be replaced, such as yours. However, the electrical test is by no means conclusive as to whether it is good, only bad. There are other things besides the electrical portion of the solenoid that can go bad.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Yup, the intake is definitely bad - replace it. You will be good to go.

The FSM manual says a reading of between 8 and 12 Ohms is what is desired. Your 13.5 Ohms is within the tolerances of both your meter and the solenoid. No need to replace it.

No, not over thinking, it is just hard to communicate sufficiently to each of our desires.

What is interesting about this circuit is that the solenoid moves something within the engine and then a “sensor” detects if the adjustment is proper and the computer(ECM) re-adjusts the commands to the solenoid. So the computer will correct a slight error, such as your 13.5 ohms, and the parts do not have to be of NASA quality.

The electrical test is by far the easiest way to test this solenoid and if it fails the electrical test it is indeed bad and needs to be replaced, such as yours. However, the electrical test is by no means conclusive as to whether it is good, only bad. There are other things besides the electrical portion of the solenoid that can go bad.
Good stuff Sir, thank you for clarifying. Will update when I replace the solenoid.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Good info from snoWhite. If you got 0 ohms reading, it means the circuit is open (meaning it is broken) - it is supposed to be a circuit so yeah, toss that one away. A new intake actuator will fix it up for you.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM

As I was backing out of a driveway Friday the check engine light came on. I immediately took it to the local dealer and the problem turned out to be the camshaft position actuator solenoid. I mentioned this website and thread to the service writer and he said "Oh we replace them all the time in all Chevys."

Luckily my Equinox is still under warranty. And here I thought this problem was limited to HHRs. My HHR is fine (knock on wood). I just thought that the irony would be appreciated. Seriously, if this is a routine problem and happens across the line of Chevys then Chevrolet and possibly GM have a problem that they need to address.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Whopper

Originally Posted by whopper
Good info from snoWhite. If you got 0 ohms reading, it means the circuit is open (meaning it is broken) - it is supposed to be a circuit so yeah, toss that one away. A new intake actuator will fix it up for you.
Sorry, but a 0 Ohms reading would be a direct Short, not an Open. An Open measures as infinity or in many Ohm Meters as “no change” in the display.

From your post I know you understand this, but for the sake of a mis-education to others - corrected.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sno White
Sorry, but a 0 Ohms reading would be a direct Short, not an Open. An Open measures as infinity or in many Ohm Meters as “no change” in the display.

From your post I know you understand this, but for the sake of a mis-education to others - corrected.
DUH me!!! LOL Yeah I blew it totally. You nailed it. thanks for posting the correction. (muttering under my breath....... damn I hate digital VOM's - still prefer the old ones)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 PM

GMPartsdirect.com has a further update (at least for '09 2.2L Flex):

Exhaust 12628348 = 12646784 = 12655421

Intake 12628347 = 12646783 = 12655420

I'm getting intermittent CEL, rattling sounds, some sputtering on start up, and P0010; no Traction Control Light and no shifting problems. Into the dealer tomorrow under the 5/100K power train warranty. Thanks for the great threads; I can return the 02 sensor I thought was the CEL problem.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by walterpalmer
As I was backing out of a driveway Friday the check engine light came on. I immediately took it to the local dealer and the problem turned out to be the camshaft position actuator solenoid. I mentioned this website and thread to the service writer and he said "Oh we replace them all the time in all Chevys."

Luckily my Equinox is still under warranty. And here I thought this problem was limited to HHRs. My HHR is fine (knock on wood). I just thought that the irony would be appreciated. Seriously, if this is a routine problem and happens across the line of Chevys then Chevrolet and possibly GM have a problem that they need to address.
When the ones on my 2009 HHR went under warrantee-I found out the reason that GM made an update to them with a new part number because the Equinox's were eating them up faster than out HHRs. Very bad run on them not too long ago.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM

Just want to update everyone and let them know that I got the part today and replaced it. Unhooked the battery before hand and replaced the solenoid. Problem is solved now. Before the car had a wicked idle and as soon as that new solenoid was in the erratic idling ceased.

Also, this car also seems to surge under light throttle. Only does it a couple times then its gone until the conditions are right for it to happen again. I saw a thread that was about this and the fix was a parameter change in the code of the computer for the transmission. Can someone point me to that thread. I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM

My update: Took it into the dealer today (Gentillini in Woodbine, NJ) with the P0010 code; CEL wasn't on, but it was sputtering a little this morning. They changed the intake solenoid under the 5yr/100K warranty and all is well again.

Off topic but...
I've always been very pleased with this dealer. I went to them and a local Chevy dealer when I was looking to buy. The local dealer strung me along for two weeks saying they were setting up a dealer trade. I finally asked for my $500 check back. Gentillini called that afternoon and said they had a white one just coming off the truck. They wouldn't even take a deposit. Salesman said "A handshake's enough."

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14