"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganMarty
Also noted was the fact the solenoid has been leaking engine oil up through the top and into the connector cavity. It then spilled down into the valley between the two camshafts and collected dirt there. That's a nice feature.
Okay, sorry it took me so long to get these photos up, but here they are. Click on the photos to enlarge.

This is the bad actuator solenoid after removing it. Note the engine oil in the connector cavity on the actuator and the road dirt surrounding the connector:

This is the new "Dorman" Solenoid after it was installed. Note all the grunge due to the fact the solenoid was leaking oil up through the connector cavity. Yes, the leak was from the original factory installed solenoid.

Since these photo's were taken (the day the solenoid was replace) I have sprayed the engine with engine degreaser and sprayed it off with a power washer.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Wow - now that's a first for this forum I am sure. That looks nasty - and glad you got it fixed up. LOL at reference to "feature" - the self-lubricating actuator solenoid!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Ok - thanks for the clarification. I'd throw the code reader back on, and see if there is any related code in storage. I don't remember having a rough idle when I encoutered my solenoid related CEL codes (only the hard shifting and I think the T/C light).

Oh, did you disconnect the battery for a short while during the replacement of the solenoids? Doing so, will clear the codes and start it fresh so to speak. And maybe double-check to ensure the MAF sensor on the intake is plugged back in securely, and that the intake plenum clamp is nice and tight.
Thanks whopper,

I cleared the code by disconnecting the battery. And made sure the MAP sensor was connected well. So far so good. I appreciate the advice.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 PM

Be aware that you MUST disconnect the battery for 10+ minutes to reset the entire computer after changing out the solenoid(s). I didn't know that and after changing both solenoids, I just reset the codes using the OBD2 reader and was frustrated that I still got the CEL and the reduced power a little while after driving. After disconnecting the battery, all was back to normal.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Good deal. Even a momentary disconnect of the battery worked for many of us, including me, But good to know of your experience with it.

Not a hard job at all was it? Kinda fun to dig out the tools and rip stuff apart.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Good deal. Even a momentary disconnect of the battery worked for many of us, including me, But good to know of your experience with it.
It's possible that a moment is all you need, but the all-knowing internet , claims at least 10 minutes to be sure.

Not a hard job at all was it? Kinda fun to dig out the tools and rip stuff apart.
Yes, if only all car repair jobs could be so easy. I'll tell you, though, without this forum (and this thread in particular), there would have been a whole lot more uncertainty and apprehension and I wouldn't have enjoyed it at all.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by HWD510
06 HHR LT2 with 86K miles and I'm having the same issues as you guys. My mechanic is going to replace the intake and exhaust solenoids tomorrow morning. Might as well have him change the spark plugs, they have never been replaced. Let you all know what happens.
Just wanted to let everyone know that my problem was fixed after replacing both solenoids. Runs better now!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Did the trick for me. Thanks for the how-to!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the info. Worked on our 06 2.4 also.

Just a heads up. 3 years ago had same problem, but no check engine light. Took dealer a long time to figure it out. They replaced one of the computers under emissions warranty and problem solved.

3 years later and no warranty I was sweating it. lol

But $90 for both of them and maybe 30 minutes of work and so far so good a couple weeks later!

Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Good to hear people are still finding this thread helpful. :-)

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14