"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM

thought I could go the cheap route and only replace the intake... well after replacing the intake perfectly (great write up) It still bucked like a champion I got the exhaust code this time...so i'mma replace that today.

Also for someone who has 0% mechanical skills and just googled his way here, there are a couple of things i want to mention about the guide (which is GREAT!)

1. I didn't know how to take the big ugly plastic piece off of my engine (turns out thats what step 1 actually is... but i didn't know it)
2. I never could find my battery. Supposedly autozone said its in the trunk.
3. I think you added disconnect battery but its gone now?
4. Also since i didn't disconnect my battery, I got all kinds of duplicate codes Auto Zone guy said... and he knew it was because i didn't disconnect my battery.

So this needs to be said, for types like me anyway..

Going to get the exhaust part today, and will let you know how it goes.

Currently as of writing this I still don't know where my battery is, haha. I'll google that too.

Thanks so much I hope everything works out for me.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

1phone1world.
If you don't know where your battery is, then you also have never seen your spare tire.(hint: they're in the same place)

When you disconnect the battery, remember, the negative(black) terminal only needs to be removed. Stay away from the positive(red) side.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM

oh wow okay... maybe i do remember it being off to the right of the spare tire...

I did find my spare tire one day...but i also did use the appropriate icon right?

haha
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Just before step 1 is the reference to disconnect the battery. I never bothered, and it didn't cause any ill effects at all. If I did it again, I would not disconnect the battery, but it is probably good advice anyways.

Documenting something like disconnecting the battery makes me rather uneasy, as if you just say "disconnect the battery", and the reader tries to disconnect the positive post, causes a short, and his battery blows up in his face, or gets his hand burnt badly by the red-hot wrench - guess who they get mad at? And when someone asks about the danger of getting electrocuted in disconnecting the battery, I step far away from offering any advice, other than "˙ou better take it to a dealer".

I better not comment on documenting the location of the battery. :-)

Now you have taking it apart down to a science, see how quick you can replace that second solenoid. Best of luck, and please keep us posted.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Ah Thanks so much Whopper is sounds like you've been down that road a few times. and i do understand..

Hey well if i can do this repair... everyone can! I hope all the google'ers of the world google HHR service traction and save themselves a couple of hundred bucks!~

Everything is great.. (found my battery!) and all lights are off... I only drove it around the block but the bucking seems to be gone.

Awesome post!
Awesome Thread!
Awesome everything... thanks so much!

Also

to my 2 year old Arianna.. now Daddy can go drive and get you a present and a card!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Ahhh man - you made my day!!! :-)

Glad it worked out for ya. Happy motoring to ya!!

And a HAPPYBIRTHDAY to the little one. Psssssssst if daddy REALLY loved you, he'd get you ice cream!!!! ;-)
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by whopper

I better not comment on documenting the location of the battery. :-)
I just looked under my hood and my battery seems to have 2 red wires going to it. Which one should I disconnect?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I'd remove them both, bolt them together, and then attach them to one of the bolts on the strut tower. That should then give you enough light to read the Owners Manual!! ;-)

(noobs, no, don't ever do this)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM

Qusetion..Sorry if this has already been asked but which one is the intake and which one is the exhaust? Is the front one the intake?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by partsgirl43
Qusetion..Sorry if this has already been asked but which one is the intake and which one is the exhaust? Is the front one the intake?
Read the entire thread, it's in there multiple times.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14