"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

The front one. Best of luck.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Question intake sensor part number for 2.2L???

Great writeup...

I went to Autozone.com and the part listed for a 2008 2.2L looks different than what is in the writeup. Can anybody here verify that the 12655420 (intake) also fits the 2.2L engine?

I spent a few minutes at GMPARTSDIRECT.com and found the crankshaft position sensor but not the camshaft position sensor... so I don't know what the part number is. I know that the people at the local store can look it up, but I like to know what it is before I go in (just to be sure).

Much thanks for any help.

- Jimmy
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Different manufacturers use different colors. As far as I could find all 4 cyl Ecotec are the same parts. Why are you looking for sensors in the actuator/solenoid thread? Is that why you are getting wrong parts, the precise names make a difference.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by macarchie
Great writeup...

I went to Autozone.com and the part listed for a 2008 2.2L looks different than what is in the writeup. Can anybody here verify that the 12655420 (intake) also fits the 2.2L engine?

I spent a few minutes at GMPARTSDIRECT.com and found the crankshaft position sensor but not the camshaft position sensor... so I don't know what the part number is. I know that the people at the local store can look it up, but I like to know what it is before I go in (just to be sure).

- Jimmy
Oh No! I can see the headlines now. "Whopper has stroke while reading ChevyHHR.net forum!!!"

P.S. Jimmy. Read the whole thread. You're chasing down the wrong part or the wrong name.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM

X3

I’m going to SHOUT this out:

A SENSOR IS DIFFERENT THAN A SOLENOID!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM

To all that have done thanks to Whopper, if we all sent him$1.00 he would be a rich man I am ready to send my $1.00.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Great writeup...

- Jimmy

First off, can you confirm what the CEL code(s) you are trying to resolve. Always, always, always post the codes you are working on - it saves everyone a whole lot of duplicated questions, and misinformation.

If you do not have the CEL codes - go get them, then come back and post them.

Cause if it is not p0010/11/13/14, you are in the wrong thread totally.

Secondly, as others have stated already, this thread is about the camshaft position actuator SOLENOIDS, and nothing at all to do with the camshaft position sensor.

Yeah guys - I am getting tired of this going round in circles over and over again. LOL

and Jay - you keep that $1 - I know you had to pick a lot of cans from the side of the road for that buck!!

.......... solenoids, sensors, solenoids, sensors, solenoids, sensors.......
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 PM

Funny Funny but I still owe you $1.00
Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by whopper
First off, can you confirm what the CEL code(s) you are trying to resolve. Always, always, always post the codes you are working on - it saves everyone a whole lot of duplicated questions, and misinformation.

If you do not have the CEL codes - go get them, then come back and post them.

Cause if it is not p0010/11/13/14, you are in the wrong thread totally.

Secondly, as others have stated already, this thread is about the camshaft position actuator SOLENOIDS, and nothing at all to do with the camshaft position sensor.

Yeah guys - I am getting tired of this going round in circles over and over again. LOL

and Jay - you keep that $1 - I know you had to pick a lot of cans from the side of the road for that buck!!

.......... solenoids, sensors, solenoids, sensors, solenoids, sensors....... http://youtu.be/bd2B6SjMh_w
Yep... solenoid is not a sensor. got it. Code read was P0010. Code reader said "camshaft position sensor - actuator A bank 1" Question: what does this unit do? A solenoid is a device which (when energized) creates a physical motion (i.e. a starter solenoid slides the engagement gear down to connect the starter motor to the flywheel.) A sensor detects some event (i.e. the passing of a magnet) to signal when the event has occurred. Does this component actually move something or does it just detect the placement and/or location of the cam? Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing. Maybe it is the cheap code reader I'm using.

The picture I saw had a 90-degree bend and a 3-prong connector. After work tomorrow, I plan to take the cover off the engine and take the unit out and look at it.

Not trying to cause a fuss... I really appreciate the info from the forum and the help you guys provide.

thanks,
-Jimmy

Where do I send the $1?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM

Yep... solenoid is not a sensor. got it. Code read was P0010. Code reader said "camshaft position sensor - actuator A bank 1" Question: what does this unit do? A solenoid is a device which (when energized) creates a physical motion (i.e. a starter solenoid slides the engagement gear down to connect the starter motor to the flywheel.) A sensor detects some event (i.e. the passing of a magnet) to signal when the event has occurred. Does this component actually move something or does it just detect the placement and/or location of the cam? Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing. Maybe it is the cheap code reader I'm using.

The picture I saw had a 90-degree bend and a 3-prong connector. After work tomorrow, I plan to take the cover off the engine and take the unit out and look at it.

Not trying to cause a fuss... I really appreciate the info from the forum and the help you guys provide.

thanks,
-Jimmy

Where do I send the $1?
That is the Camshaft Position Sensor. It lives on the front driver side of the engine just above the oil filter. One screw and an O-ring.

BUT, The name of a code does not always mean what it sounds like!!!!!! They are called DIAGNOSTIC codes because they are used to diagnose, not definitively point to a part.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14