"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM

Hey thanks for the information. as you may have guessed, my '06 HHR LT 2.4 autobox is having the hard shifting symptom, but only after hiway rides, and not every time. there are no other driveability issues. the is no CEL lit, or T/C (which I asume means traction control). rading thru I got the idea that this malfunction does not always cause the CEL to illuminate, but that a code will show when accessing the OBD II software. is this true? I have a code scan tool. Oh, BTW, where's the OBD II connector on the HHR?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Robb
Hey thanks for the information. as you may have guessed, my '06 HHR LT 2.4 autobox is having the hard shifting symptom, but only after hiway rides, and not every time. there are no other driveability issues. the is no CEL lit, or T/C (which I asume means traction control). rading thru I got the idea that this malfunction does not always cause the CEL to illuminate, but that a code will show when accessing the OBD II software. is this true? I have a code scan tool. Oh, BTW, where's the OBD II connector on the HHR?
From my experience I would agree that it can be intermittant, and will not necessarily illuminate the CEL, and generate a code and prior to the t/c light it starts shifting extra firmly. When the t/c light comes on then it shifts very hard and abruptly. When that happens, the first thing I would do is check the oil level, and if it is reasonably full I would to a oil and filter change if it has not been recently changed.

The solenoids rely on oil to do their thing - meaning they use oil pressure, and also seem to be picky on having clean oil, as they can get contaminated with "crud" (scientific term :-) ).

Generating the code requires a number of instances of the problem determined by the software built into the system. So, you may not find a code generated yet if it is not a hard failure. A code may get generated down the road, so to speak, dependant on the problem getting more severe, or frequent.

There are other problems that can cause the tc light and hard shifting, so one cannot assume it is the actuator solenoids. However, they are definately suspect, until you can get a code generated which will help pinpoint the problem.

Does all that make sense?

If I was you, I'd check the oil level, and top up if necessary, or do an oil and filter change if it has been a while since last done, and see if that resolves the issue.

The OBD plugin port is under the dash, directly under the steering column - which is pretty much the standard location for most vehicles.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 AM

thanks, Whopper. I bought this car on 5/13, and the dealer should have changed the oil and filter, or so they'd mentioned. I'll check it today and see. as far as the OBD II connector, thanks, though I've had a couple V-dubs which located them in other places than under the steering column. On both my old MK III Jetta and the ford Focus I had before this the connector was behind a cover on the face of the dash.

I figured rather than hunting around I'd just ask here ;-)
Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM

Whopper thanks again! Fortuitously the car lit up the CEL on the ride home. Broke out the scan tool and found P0011 "intake cam over-advanced" sweet!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

P0011 cool - time to replace that intake camshaft actuator solenoid. Glad the code finally popped up for you.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Thumbs up update...

Got the unit out (it was easy thanks to instructions from Whopper) and took it down to Autozone. They don't have it listed in their database. Went across the street to PepBoys - they don't have it either. The guys there said that it was a dealer item. Stopped by the Chevy dealer and they had one on the shelf. ($50). Got it in no problem. No CEL yet.

To add to the solenoid or sensor confusion: the box the unit came in says "valve". I looked over this thing and still don't know how it works. I have a picture; just don't know how to post a pic. The term "valve" indicates something that moves to alter a flow of a fluid... hence the name "solenoid" would seem to be appropriate.

thanks.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 PM

What they do is control the variable valve timing by some sort magic. So maybe valve is accurate. I have no idea how the valve timing is controlled, but the solenoids/valves/sensors are involved.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 PM

Is this the same process on the 2.2L?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by red3737
Is this the same process on the 2.2L?
Pretty much - start reading about page 22 onward of this thread for some info.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14