"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 PM

Whopper, you are indeed the man. Had the P0013 on my '07 HHR, followed your illustrious instructions to the T and it did the trick. No hard shifting and the CEL light went off after about 6-7 start ups.

Last edited by LarryLarry; 08-18-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: wrong error code
Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 PM

We should take up a colection foe Whopper as he has savid a lot of us money not going to stealers for service, solved my problum about 2 years ago with his how to. $105.00 and 20 minutes of my time,
Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Oh I could use the money with all the oil changes I've done due to the ongoing flurry of "when do you change oil - when should I change oil - what oil should I use" which is the prompt for me doing my oil changes!!!

Glad it helped a few people out. :)
Old 08-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Wink

Originally Posted by LarryLarry
Whopper, you are indeed the man. Had the P0013 on my '07 HHR, followed your illustrious instructions to the T and it did the trick. No hard shifting and the CEL light went off after about 6-7 start ups.
Quick tip for you: rather than wait for a few drive cycles to clear the CEL, you can disconnect the battery under the rear floor for a minute to clear the code. Just make sure you disconnect the Neg terminal, as grounding out the Pos terminal with a wrench can be an electrifying experience, and we would then give you the nickame Sparky!!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:41 PM

The same problem but on a 2.2

Hi all. I am having the same problem even went and got the parts getting all ready for the job. Yeah the problem is I have a 2.2 NOT a 2.4 and guess what, yeah you know, their not the same.
Mine is starting to buck and stall at lights and when I take off. Now, the CEL is still on but the hard shifting has stopped again. The reason I got the parts is because I am pulling the same codes having the same issues but mine is a 2.2 so, does anyone know if there are these same parts, different place maybe ?
Mines is a 2.2 Automatic. Or , something else I can look at ? Thanks all !
Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by CincyHHR
Hi all. I am having the same problem even went and got the parts getting all ready for the job. Yeah the problem is I have a 2.2 NOT a 2.4 and guess what, yeah you know, their not the same.
Mine is starting to buck and stall at lights and when I take off. Now, the CEL is still on but the hard shifting has stopped again. The reason I got the parts is because I am pulling the same codes having the same issues but mine is a 2.2 so, does anyone know if there are these same parts, different place maybe ?
Mines is a 2.2 Automatic. Or , something else I can look at ? Thanks all !
They were the same parts on my 2.0 turbo installed in the same place, so it's a good chance they are the same on the 2.2.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 PM

No I wish

No I wish it was the same but, mine looks nothing like the 2.4. That would be an easy fun job compared to most I have had to do. No, my injectors are not there like that nor are those easy to see solenoids. I know I was puzzled when I started the job, I even took the laptop to the car to make darn sure I was in the right place. Maybe somebody knows someone with a 2.2 that has had the same issues with the camshaft actuator solenoid. But thank you for your help anyway !
Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Since nobody has successfully answered your question re: 2.2 vs. 2.4 actuators, I'll offer a suggestion on how you MIGHT determine this.

Go to something like GMpartshouse.com or GMpartsdirect.com and look up each part for the respective engines. If the parts are exactly the same price for each engine, there's a good chance they are the same. If there is a difference in price, they are different parts. Note: neither of these suppliers provide part numbers on their sites.

You might also look at Rockauto.com. Don't know if they have the part, but if they do, they DO supply part numbers.

Good Luck
Old 09-05-2011, 03:31 PM

No I wish it was the same but, mine looks nothing like the 2.4. That would be an easy fun job compared to most I have had to do. No, my injectors are not there like that nor are those easy to see solenoids. I know I was puzzled when I started the job, I even took the laptop to the car to make darn sure I was in the right place. Maybe somebody knows someone with a 2.2 that has had the same issues with the camshaft actuator solenoid. But thank you for your help anyway !
You say "injectors". You should be looking near the "spark plugs", in quotes because they are really the coil packs. Just clearing up terminology, and possible mis-interpretations.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 PM

I checked my service manual CD. The camshaft solenoid procedure listed here does apply to the 2.0L and 2.4L engines. However no camshaft solenoid replacement procedure is listed for the 2.2L engine. The 2.2L appears to use a camshaft balancer instead. Knowing what year your car is and the fault codes would help. I could look it up on the CD and post the results.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14