"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I become confused? How is it possible that a 2009 model sold in the US is not capable of programming RCDLR? Okay, so it is sold as "not installed", it is a software problem that takes "1 hour" shop labor to reprogram/install new, right? Do 2009's have a completely different Computer Program from previous years? It is hard to believe that GM spent money in that year, just to screw with us! Why in the world would they pay Computer Gurus to separate the Remote Door Locks from the Tire Pressure Monitoring System? Stranger thing have been documented.
Amen. Since the time of purchase, I was lead to believe these options could be added with simple BCM flash. For the keyless, I just buy a couple used key fobs off ebay. For the remotes start, I just add the missing hood pin switch.

I think I will be very happy with this Viper system. According to the customer reviews, the remote start range is excelent. the key fob tells me if start was successfull, status of door locks, cabin temp. More can be added to it in th future like power window control. It has the starter fail safe so it can't be cranked while running by remote start like the factory system. Since car lot is paying big percentage, what I pay is prolly less than what I'd pay to buy factory key fobs and pay dealer to flash bcm.

It was ordered today, so if it ships in time, install is this Tuesday. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Simple Question

Does anyone have a 2009 without the “Remote Start” capability; yet have the ability in the DIC to turn it on and off?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:10 PM

I am making a wild guess that somebody at GM realized that having the on/off option in the DIC when the program was not installed was confusing people. Come to think, are the door locking options in the DIC when the option is "not installed" in 09's.

But in Kevin09's case I don't get the no remote DOOR LOCKS, unless they also changed the RCDLR/TPMS relationship. Maybe they DID spend money downgrading the program.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I am making a wild guess that somebody at GM realized that having the on/off option in the DIC when the program was not installed was confusing people. Come to think, are the door locking options in the DIC when the option is "not installed" in 09's.

But in Kevin09's case I don't get the no remote DOOR LOCKS, unless they also changed the RCDLR/TPMS relationship. Maybe they DID spend money downgrading the program.
The only door lock/unlock options in my DIC was pertaining to taking the vehicle out of and back into Park. The horn honk option in the DIC which I thought had something to do with key fob, turned out to by the delay lock (wait till last door closed to lock) which has turned out to be handy since no keyless entry. I can press lock on the drivers door panel, close the door, then open the hatch and get stuff out, close hatch and walk away.

I have not taken the rear quarter panel interior trim out to look for the RCDL module. Since this was a prior rental vehcile, It doesn't conform to rules of what base models did and did not come with.

After this I want to add the driving lights and then just enjoy the mpg.
I believe it still has the factory tires on it, so when its time for them to be changed I may look at alloy or chrome rims for it instead of its current steels with hub caps. Prolly put winter tires on the steels.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin09HHRhappy
I have not taken the rear quarter panel interior trim out to look for the RCDL module. Since this was a prior rental vehcile, It doesn't conform to rules of what base models did and did not come with.
The RCDL is above the head liner near the rear view mirror.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
The RCDL is above the head liner near the rear view mirror.
Yes to that, it lives in that bump in the headliner at the rearview mirror mount, unless they changed that too.

Hnmm I remember the first time I went in to Mr.Goodwrench, he referred to the RR quarter panel whilst looking for the RCDLR. If you had the "extended/2-way" Remote option, the ANTENNA would be mounted inside the RR window. Perhaps GM documentation is the fault? Could it be?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin09HHRhappy
I think I will be very happy with this Viper system. According to the customer reviews, the remote start range is excelent. the key fob tells me if start was successfull, status of door locks, cabin temp. More can be added to it in th future like power window control. It has the starter fail safe so it can't be cranked while running by remote start like the factory system. Since car lot is paying big percentage, what I pay is prolly less than what I'd pay to buy factory key fobs and pay dealer to flash bcm.

It was ordered today, so if it ships in time, install is this Tuesday. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Install of the Viper 5301 Keyless entry/Remote Start was done Tuesday. I've always done my own work, so it killed me to sit out front while the installer was having all the fun. It took 3 hours to install. He took the interface and plugged it into the store desk top computer and went to the Directed website and told it what model vehicle it was going into and it downloaded the correct program. The guy said there was only a couple wires to be spliced and soldiered. The interface plugged into vehicle computer with the serial bus cable. i asked about options like the rear defrost trigger and headlight on with unlock and the guy said that depended on what the vehicle specific program already had set up. After install was done, I noticed that the keyless operates similar if not exact as factory remote. Headlights and dome light on with unlock etc. Parking lights on with remote start. The 2way remote is nice, it tells me if the signal was received by the vehicle. It tells me if remote start time is about to run out and option to extend run time. The distance is advertised as 2000 feet. I haven't tried to find the distance it doesn't work yet, but it has always worked since install. Last night I was in the electronic section of Super Walmart which is at the back of our walmart, and the remote started the car.

At first it would only unlock the drivers door. Pushing the unlock button a second time would just honk the horn and unlock the drivers door again. I was more than upset after reading owners manual and not finding anything about it unlocking the rest of the vehicle. I couldn't believe they had installed a keyless entry system that only unlocked the drivers door. Well today I tried again and pressing the unlock a second time unlocked the rest of the doors. I guess it took a couple of times for it to learn what it was supose to do??? There are options that only installer can change with a bitwritter. I'm prolly gonna take it back and have them turn off the horn honk with unlock and lock, its driving me nuts. I like how factory remotes only honk if you press the button a second time. It blows the horn twice on some remote functions and I don't want that in church parking lot or my quiet neighbor hood. I tried the "silent unlock" pressing function and then unlock or lock, and it doesn't blow the horn for unlock, but it still blows the horn (but only once instead of twice) with lock. I suspect it may have something to do with the delayed exit lock of the HHR. I'll go into the HHR menu and turn off horn honk and see if that lets the Viper key fob "silent lock/unlock" work correctly. So only two things I'd change are the horn honks and the interior cabin temp detect. The 2 way key fob always shows the interior cabin temp above 95 dgrees, and its 20 degrees outside here, lol.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Extending run duration with remote start.

does anybody know if it's possible to extend the duration of the remote start option before it times out and shuts down the vehicle. It's wicked cold where I am and this morning the car barely warmed up before I had to drive it. Plus, we all know that it takes a short minute to warm up of vehicles with all that cold air in the cab room.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by tmcdaniels
does anybody know if it's possible to extend the duration of the remote start option before it times out and shuts down the vehicle. It's wicked cold where I am and this morning the car barely warmed up before I had to drive it. Plus, we all know that it takes a short minute to warm up of vehicles with all that cold air in the cab room.
In a word NO.

You do have two ten-minute periods available.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM

does No really mean no?

I've tried re-locking the vehicle then restarting it but to no avail. Whats the magic trick?

Quick Reply: How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3