"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by tmcdaniels
I've tried re-locking the vehicle then restarting it but to no avail. Whats the magic trick?
Read through this entire thread the answer is here somewhere, but to recap:
After the first “Remote Start” 10-minute period of operation has elapsed press and hold the remote start button again just like on the first activation. If by chance you reactivate the remote start during the first 10-minute period while the engine is running the second 10-minute period starts and you do not get the full 20 minutes.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 PM

OK, I have a 2010LT fleet/rental sans AP3 code on the glovebox sticker but that appears to have the hood ajar switch (behind the hood latch mechanism) and wired in properly. The DIC does not have the REMOTE START option. I have purchased a couple of remote start capable fobs (not programmed yet), so I think i have everything I need from a hardware side. Does/can the BCM need to be reprogrammed to add the remote start capability? If this can be done (and I can find some dealer willing to do it without raking me over the coals) what other features or functions would the new firmware code get me,if anything? Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Ship
OK, I have a 2010LT fleet/rental sans AP3 code on the glovebox sticker but that appears to have the hood ajar switch (behind the hood latch mechanism) and wired in properly. The DIC does not have the REMOTE START option. I have purchased a couple of remote start capable fobs (not programmed yet), so I think i have everything I need from a hardware side. Does/can the BCM need to be reprogrammed to add the remote start capability? If this can be done (and I can find some dealer willing to do it without raking me over the coals) what other features or functions would the new firmware code get me,if anything? Thanks!
First check were you bought it, they might pay for the programming. You would need a GM dealer or a competent locksmith to do the programming. It is possible that you will need to have GM dealer reload the computer program, nobody seems to know for sure what GM did with the 2009- programming on the AP3.

I am still not sure if the TPMS is still connected to the Remote Start. Can you reset the TPMS positions? If not you may be able to bully someone into "fixing" the situation. goes like this "don't you remember Ford/Firestone that's why we have TPMS to begin with, what if some soccer mom sees that the RR tire needs air and then she puts a bunch of air into the RR tire, but wait... the tires were rotated so it is really the RF that is flat... now she has an overinflated RR and an underinflated RF......CRASH! BANG! LAWSUIT".
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM

If you are referring to the item mounted on the hood latch mechanism that has two wires connected to it (TAN/ORG & YEL), I'm sorry to let you know that is NOT the HOOD AJAR-HOOD CLOSED switch, which has three wire on it (PNK/BLK, PUR, BLK). The two wire devic eis the Front End Crash Sensor. 8-(
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM

tmcdaniels:
One thing I have found by trial and error, using a three button remote (Requires the LOCK/PANIC simultaneous press) is this process:

(1) assume the vehicle is already locked
(2) press and HOLD the lock button
(3) immediately press the PANIC button

That seems to work consistently, but BE ADVISED. After two (2) attempts (ie what the HHR Computer decides is "an attempt") no more RVS (Remote Vehicle Start) sequences will be honored until a normal keybased ignition cycle has been executed.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Not for the manual

The manual transmission has a lockout where the clutch has to be depressed to start the car, even if the shifter is in neutral. You'd have to do something to fake-out the control module to believe that the clutch is depressed before a manual car could be started remotely. Plus, you would have to park it out of gear, which is not advised due to the risk of the car rolling (even if being held by the emergency brake). In short, I wouldn't try it if I were you.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 PM

For a safety discussion of this modification see:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/%2A%2A%2A-kinda-urgent-remote-start-mod-danger-35019/
Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 PM

So ive been scanning this post for a definitive answer and perhaps I missed it...is it possible to reprogram the bcm (2011)to allow for remote start in a non rpo:ap3? Also...has any non ap3 cars been successful in hooking up an aftermarket 2way remote start? Thanks!!!! My ls as base as she was had remote start...she ruined me...i have to have it!!! :) ps this mod is waaaaaay above my paygrade so I will be taking it to a shop. Gmpartslink says adding oem remote is possible contacting gm just gives me the bs warranty speach. Grrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Deceased

Well ma'am I re-read the whole thing myself and it kinda looks like you are out of luck being that you're lacking the magical AP3 on your 2011. Honestly I've ignored this thread because all of mine have the remote start and I'd be lost without it, so old fashioned having to use the key to start something.

It does look like the best bet in your case is an aftermarket system, and some of them seem pretty nice. Hopefully someone will point out something we both missed and save the day, and some money for you too.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by myrockabillykitty
So ive been scanning this post for a definitive answer and perhaps I missed it...is it possible to reprogram the bcm (2011)to allow for remote start in a non rpo:ap3? Also...has any non ap3 cars been successful in hooking up an aftermarket 2way remote start? Thanks!!!! My ls as base as she was had remote start...she ruined me...i have to have it!!! :) ps this mod is waaaaaay above my paygrade so I will be taking it to a shop. Gmpartslink says adding oem remote is possible contacting gm just gives me the bs warranty speach. Grrrrrrrrrr
You didn’t miss anything and yes this thread is confusing.

This thread is not about “reprogramming the BCM”, but about getting Remote Start to work on 2008 & prior vehicles where the safety “Hood Closed Switch” is missing. This thread’s solution of grounding the one wire, only works on vehicles that have the option in the “DIC Programming” of turning on and off the “Remote Start”.

If I am reading “my…kitty” correctly she(?) is going to ask a dealer to reprogram the BCM in the 2011 to allow Remote Start – this has not been addressed in this thread and is what some owners of 2009 and later have been asking for. If a dealer solution is found I believe others may be interested in her outcome. As to if a dealer or GM would be interested in doing so, one can only ask! It may take asking several dealers, as some can be real lazy. I personally would word the question as to why a 2006 had the feature and a 2011 does not.

As for the aftermarket question - I would see some car alarm dealers for the answer to that.

Quick Reply: How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3