"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM

We are rocking remote start now !!!! Simple as following the instructions and pushing the buttons on the steering wheel .
This forum rocks !!! A gold mine of information. My wife could not believe that I was able to locate this information on here and simply chose the option to turn it on .....

Greg
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 AM

What is the best aftermarket remote start system for 2011?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 AM

You have a vast amount to systems to chose from . But be aware that they will mostly consist with a harness and control module . You will still have to purchase the relays with the install ...... And possibly an interface ...
To point you in the right direction look at these systems and pick a qualified installer .
Alphabetical order .....
(1) AvitalŽ 4103 Remote Start with Keyless Entry http://www.avital.com/Products/RemoteStart.aspx
(2) Code Alarm http://www.audiovoxproducts.com/code-alarm/remotestart/
(3) Viper http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...tegoryCode=103
Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 AM

The "best" is the one you purchase. "Everyone's got one".
Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 PM
arp

07 HHR without Enabling Auto Start On/Off Option in DIC

Hello! I recently purchased an 07 Chevy HHR LT that started out as a rental car. I was interested in grounding the wire and enabling the Remote Start option. I do not have the AP3 code in the glove box and also doesn't have the Remote Start options in the dic. Is that possible? I thought all HHRs up to 08/09s had remote start options. Is there any other possible way to get remote start even if the option doesn't show up in my DIC?
Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by arp
Hello! I recently purchased an 07 Chevy HHR LT that started out as a rental car. I was interested in grounding the wire and enabling the Remote Start option. I do not have the AP3 code in the glove box and also doesn't have the Remote Start options in the dic. Is that possible? I thought all HHRs up to 08/09s had remote start options. Is there any other possible way to get remote start even if the option doesn't show up in my DIC?
Thanks!!
NO.

You MAY be able to get a dealer to re flash the BCM to a software version that include the TPMS reset, which also includes the RS. If you don't have TPMS, it won't happen ever.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM

When I bought my 06 HHR, 2.4L, auto, 11 days ago, it only came with one key and no FOB. I went to the local dealership and got a second key made and programmed into the car. Only cost me $43.00, taxes included. I thought it was going to cost me more, I was pleasantly surprised. Anyway, to get to my point, I asked why the vehicle's alarm went off when I unlocked and opened my door, until I started the car. He said that the door had been locked previously with a FOB and if it was unlocked with a FOB, that it would not do this.
He told me the price of one($150.00), but also gave me the number on the back of the FOB, (15114374). He said I could find a used one cheaper at a local scrap yard or on Ebay. He also said that whichever way I went, that it would still need to be programmed, ( at a cost of $67.00). And by the way, I live in Ontario, Canada, if that makes a difference.
My questions are: Does all this sound right to those of you experienced guys? And how do I know if my HHR came with factory remote start?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Look on the glove box cover for the RPO codes If your car was a 2011 rental then no remote start... I read on here the older models had them and a minor mod to the FOB got it to work. Ill see what I can find, But Im sure the gearheads will chim in
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=12674&page=2

Also you can go through your D.I. C. to see what accessories you have.

Found in the how to section hope it helps
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28551
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM

Panic + Lock = RS

If you have AP3.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 AM

HOLY CRAP!
Last year, after purchasing the car, I had to replace the (nonexistent) remotes. At that point, I was told by GM that my Non AP3 2008 car would cost more than a grand to add remote start. I passed on that idea. This morning, I finally come across this thread, run out in the rain to find that the DIC DOES contain "remote start" AND it's already set to on. Push lock and panic.. and the lights flash. It's a bit early in the am to get out there and start hunting purple wires, but if I understand correctly, once I ground that pin 3 wire.. I should, in theory, have a remote start car? WHERE IS THE FACEPALM SMILEY??? I love this forum.

Quick Reply: How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3