"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you already reprogram the DIC to remote start enable, can you reset the TPMS positions, did you disconnect the battery.
If you can reset the TPMS positions using the fob method, then you should not need GM intervention. If you cannot reset TPMS positions then the key words are "I wanna be able to rotate my own darn tires, without having to go to a dealership everytime and spend half a day and $79.95 to reset the TPMS".
Remember, after you ground the wire you still have to tell the DIC to enable remote start....and follow the instructions for remote start i.e. you MUST re-lock the doors first!!
I don't have an option in the DIC menu for remote start enable. I have previously changed TPMS settings when I made the dealer swap my hubcap wheels to actual polished wheels....but I didn't use the remote for that.

I just need to find a dealer willing to re-activate that deature on a former fleet HHR....right?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Putter
I don't have an option in the DIC menu for remote start enable. I have previously changed TPMS settings when I made the dealer swap my hubcap wheels to actual polished wheels....but I didn't use the remote for that.

I just need to find a dealer willing to re-activate that deature on a former fleet HHR....right?
Since I don't have a 2009, I want to make sure. I mean DIC in programming mode, like were you reset the oil counter, not were you see the odometer. If it's not there, they must have changed since '08 so don't know.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Since I don't have a 2009, I want to make sure. I mean DIC in programming mode, like were you reset the oil counter, not were you see the odometer. If it's not there, they must have changed since '08 so don't know.
Same as my 2010, remote start option not there.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:10 PM

Same here no remote start option on the DIC so i guess 2010 cant be done.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by tmcdaniels
Where did you pickup the fob with the remote start option and how much. Also, did you try using your original fob by pushing panic/lock at the same time.
A little late but I just got a fob w/remote start (case & rubber only) at EbayMotors. They had many at Best Offer 7.99+5.99 shipping, they accepted 5.00+5.99 shipping. It is listed as 2009-2010 Chevy Malibu Keyless Remote Case Brand New. In the listing they list every Chevy except HHR.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Founding Member

After re-reading this entire thread it appears nobody has ever gotten this to work on a 2009 and newer vehicle, due to the option not being visable in the DIC.

If I am wrong on this please post how you got your 2009 or newer HHR to work using this method or any method.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Had to log into the site again to confirm this worked for me on a 2008 HHR!

Removed the plug on the lower right of the BCM, popped out the blue plastic cover with a small screwdriver to verify PIN3. It was the only purple wire in the harness.

Used a 3M wire tap with a short lead to a screw half way down the left side of the opening for the BCM/fuse box plastic panel.

Held down the INFO and return key for a few seconds on the steering wheel to access the DIC settings. Turned remote start on.

Closed the doors, press lock twice and held the circular remote start button until it started right up!

5 minute fix for what GM locally claimed would be "Probably too expensive to be added after the fact!" But of course they were willing to "look at it" for an hours worth of labor.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by e_leska
Had to log into the site again to confirm this worked for me on a 2008 HHR!

Removed the plug on the lower right of the BCM, popped out the blue plastic cover with a small screwdriver to verify PIN3. It was the only purple wire in the harness.

Used a 3M wire tap with a short lead to a screw half way down the left side of the opening for the BCM/fuse box plastic panel.

Held down the INFO and return key for a few seconds on the steering wheel to access the DIC settings. Turned remote start on.

Closed the doors, press lock twice and held the circular remote start button until it started right up!

5 minute fix for what GM locally claimed would be "Probably too expensive to be added after the fact!" But of course they were willing to "look at it" for an hours worth of labor.
Great, glad you were successful.

For anybody else who would like to do this I recommend making the first step turning on “Remote Start” in the DIC programming. If you cannot do this step you will never get Remote Start to work and there is no reason to perform all the other stuff.

AND above all, remember just what the grounding of the purple wire is doing – it is disabling the “Hood Closed” function and the vehicle can be started with someone working under the hood. Not a safe or courteous thing to do.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM

Also, it has been reported to me that GM changed the style of the FOB to:
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Che...1%5Btype%5D=gm
Starting with the 2010 MY.

Can anybody confirm this? I thought the above FOB was an expensive option in 2009?

OR the vehicle was sold by the dealer with this extra fancy FOB.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Also, it has been reported to me that GM changed the style of the FOB to:
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Che...1%5Btype%5D=gm
Starting with the 2010 MY.

Can anybody confirm this? I thought the above FOB was an expensive option in 2009?

OR the vehicle was sold by the dealer with this extra fancy FOB.
Just 2 cents, I think that was for the "2-way, extended distance" option. You would notice an antenna mounted on the rear right window.

Quick Reply: How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3