Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Ben-HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:21 AM

FYI,
These are the answers that I have come up with, please let me know if there are any corrections necessary:

1) No difference except for engine. Any part fits any model in any year with no issue as the electrical harness is the same for all versions so its all plug and play. But get the 2LT anyway...
2) There are no 'general' issues that affect this GM design. You may have individual concerns based on your specific machine and its specific history. Just make sure you are up to date with service bulletins/recalls.
3) Same as any other car to mod, personalizations mainly or customizations for small niggles. Nothing special on the HHR. (really?)
4) Nothing wrong with the plastic. If you want to change it you're on your own. (no one has a carpet queen/show car?)
5) Personal taste...there is no best, factory is tight but soft, sport suspension is firmer, after market drops the car messing with the wheel settings and damaging the ride with negligible gain in real world handling outside a track. Stay away from different rim sizes if you value your warranty or keep your old ones for when you go for service.
6) If you want to start ripping body panels and putting in dynamat go for it, but don't be surprised if something rattles afterwards that you can't find eliminating the purpose of the exercise to begin with - and extra soundproofing adds weight hurting mileage/handling.
7) It's not like you can add the police package to your civilian crown vic, and this isn't the 90's where you could put infiniti parts on your nissan. Aside from the cobalt, you're out of luck trying to use other GM parts on your Chevy as there is nowhere to improve.
8) SOL here. Unless you want to rip open a 5-series headlamp and custom drill your own projector setup.
9) No difference in cushioning. Cloth is better in the heat and grips better, leather looks and smells nicer.
10) Go for it - just don't put spinning blades on your wheels.

Thanks,

Seth
Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 15
Size:  38.2 KB

Maybe we could meet up sometime, I'm just only a few miles south in Kendall.

Originally Posted by sethwas
[B]1) what are the definitive differences between the LS, 1LT and 2LT besides the engine, that are not bolt-on options. In sum can I upgrade to basically a 2LT with an LS as a start?
As stated before, the suspension is different for the 2LT, and the LS is only available w/ the 2.2.

2) what are the known issues with components that are prone to fail/engineering cost cutting? Places that wear out first? I hope by 09 they got the bugs out but there is always something. What are common issues? Does the paint hold up?
Thin sheet metal makes for easy "Beauty Bar Dents", just make sure you use the cup handle in the rear hatch to close it and avoid pushing on the beauty bar.

What maintenance regimen......
Oil changes at 3k or 5k or when the computer says so? front or rear brakes prone to wearing early?
Big debate on this one. Lots of people will swear by the 3K rule. It's your money, but I follow the on board computer. Don't know if they ever changed the front brakes, but warping of the rotors is real common.

3)Lens for windshield to see traffic lights?
Being that I'm 6'4", I think I'm going to break down and get one of these myself.........traffic light prism.

8) Superficially, one of the only places I feel the HHR styling gets ‘lazy’ is the headlights. I have not seen any actual headlight changes save for some masks which do not aid in the design. Are there any headlight mods at all, or do people basically leave it alone (besides smoking the lens or going HID).
I've gone to the Premier Edition headlamps.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 AM

to the Site
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
...answers....
Thanks,
I hadn't seen that about the rear hatch in my searching - good to know, and I'm with you on the premier version headlamps (the darker chrome surrounds).

My above answers were really somewhat sarcastic, this is what I really found out (relevant for 09 model year):

1) LS has smaller engine (smaller turning radius) and softer suspension. LT has the same but you can option up. LS/1LT 16" ,2LT 17", SS 18" rims. The LS does not have the USB as an option. LS has a manual transmission and taller axle ratio. LS does not have fog lamps. LS comes with steelies and hubcaps and no chrome but grille. 2LT has running board standard. LS and SS do not have remote vehicle start standard. No sunroof on LS. No power seats on LS. No heated seats on LS. No leather on LS. No lumbar support on LS. No 'premium' sound on LS. Bluetooth is not on LS, an option on 1LT, standard on 2LT/SS. No 'entertainment' system on SS. Leather wheel not on LS, option on 1LT, standard on 2LT. No auto dim rear mirror on LS/1LT. No rear disc except for SS.
Otherwise there is no difference between trims. When I say 'no' I mean it can't be done by plug and play.

2) Issues across all models (ignoring tsb's) are: Dent prone body panels. Noisy steering. Leaks in sunroof and at base of windshield near wipers. 'soft' rotors. Anything else is your specific issue.

3) most people stick to the tried and true - rims, suspension, body bolt ons, paint, and interior dash stickers. A slight up in complexity is audio systems. Some are more adventurous by adding rear discs. Others like to carpet the trunk.

4) no consensus.

5) no consensus. Aftermarket is softer than OEM SS. LS is softest, with LT a bit stiffer and most 'european'. Sway bars is personal preference.

6) no answer.

7) no one does this.

8) 3 choices: tint/mask, buy special edition pieces, custom

9) no answer.

Seth

Last edited by sethwas; 08-14-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:36 PM

Welcome!
My 2 cents worth: 1 - GREAT NAME!
2 - You're right, interior plastic scratches easily and is
tough to touch up (open to suggestions??).
3 - Have had several herniated discs over the years and
find cloth seats very comfortable; longest straight-
through trip of 2200 miles and could still walk after.
4 - I think Hharry looks good in a mask...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Good to hear about the seats - that's actually the single most important thing for me, as I am feeling the sting just writing this in my office chair (desiccated disc between l4 and l5)

Thanks,

Seth
Old 09-02-2009, 11:42 AM

So,
I finally got some of the manufacturers build information breaking down the differences in the LS, 1LT, and 2LT and got a chance to compare the numbers, for the sake of this discussion, there is no financial advantage to going with the 2LT used 09 for the following reasons:

First and foremost, the 1LT's are selling used for approximately half the cost of a 2LT
i.e. you're looking at 13-19k depending on state of damage for a 2LT and down to $8500 for a comparable 1LT, of course these numbers change all the time [8500 is half 17k]

-You can get a 1LT with the 2.4 but 2.2 and save in gas if engine size is not important.
-You do not get the FE suspension in the 1LT but if you are dropping your ride/adding a sway bar this is irrelevant as you are spending money on suspension regardless of trim, and you can just get the 2LT suspension after the fact.
-You can get leather or cloth in either, and its better to get the cloth and go katzkins for a custom interior anyway for less money.
-You can get steering wheel controls on the 1LT and leather, and if not you can just buy the wheel outright.
-You can get the fancier radio in the 1LT
-The chrome exterior options are a personal choice and if you are going with custom rims or like the smoke trim you can always just get the mirror caps and don't need the shiny pieces.

So, to sum:

1LT lets be fair and go $10k
katzkins leather $1200 installed
Sport suspension/sway bar $1000 installed
Rims/Tires $700 installed
If you need the OEM MP3 pioneer USB setup and steering wheel with buttons, figure another $500.
Exterior $0

Worst case it seems to be a 2LT stock is $15k lets say you can find one for $13k
A 1LT with a nicer interior and ride and looks is $12,900.

Am I missing anything else that you get with a 2LT? Interior trim? The drive trains are identical, as is the exterior appearance minus the chrome. There is no extra soundproofing or fancier glass or tint in the 2LT correct? Rocker panels?

Thanks,

Seth
Old 09-02-2009, 12:05 PM

sounds like you got it nailed down pretty good, now go get one!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I am going to have to research this, but they may be the longest first post ever. Answers may take a while, but you will get answers. Welcome!
This first post is just a bit longer, but includes pics so, the jury's out!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/new-guy-my-new-hhr-ss-arm-rest-mod-part-s-pics-15404/

BTW Seth...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
This first post is just a bit longer, but includes pics so, the jury's out!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15404

BTW Seth...
If it's not the longest it's gotta' be the most thorough!