Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Hello

I am Blaine Anderson and I live in the Phoenix, AZ area (Queen Creek). I am building an airplane and I will be using an auto conversion. This is a GM Ecotec LSJ 2.0L supercharged engine with 205 hp and 200 ft lbs of torque all in between 3000 - 4000 rpm. With a PSRU at 1.6 reduction, this will give a prop rpm of 1875 to 2500. In about 6 weeks I will have performance figures for another configuration similar to mine. I am not at liberty to release them yet, but they are outstanding. I can tell you that fuel gph are at least a 30% improvement over an O-360 with fuel injection. Anyone can contact me at blainepga@q.com or 480-463-7365.

I am going to use the GM Ecotec LSJ supercharged 4 cylinder engine. The Ecotec line of engines is bullet proof. They have a forged crank and piston rods. They use a main girdle instead of main caps. With an aluminum block, this supplies additional stability. It has a 7 qt oil pan and comes stock with an oil cooler. It has 205 HP and 200 ft lbs. of torque. All of the torque is in between 3000 and 4000 rpm. This is ideal with a PSRU. This is a prop rpm between 1875 and 2500 rpm with a 1.6 reduction. The engine also comes with an intercooler for the supercharger. I like the supercharger because of the additional heat issues with turbochargers. The ECU either has to be modified or you can replace it with the MEFI5 (Marine Electronic Fuel Injection) ECU. It does away all of the car sensor points that are not needed with a boat or airplane. It does need slight modification but not a big deal. This engine comes in many flavors from 142 hp to 260 hp. Firewall forward with the supercharger; it weighs right at the same weight as an O-360.

A brand new crate engine can be purchased from just under $2000 - $4000. Low mileage motors (5000 - 10000 miles) can be found for a very reasonable amount. I got a LSJ supercharged motor with everything including the ECM and harness for $3800. The harness and ECM from a dealer would cost about $1700. My motor has 391 actual miles. A young man bought a new Cobalt SS and promptly rolled it. The car was totaled but the motor doesn't have a scratch. Me 1, youth 0. I am building a jig so that I can build the engine mount. I will be using 1" chromemoly tubing with a .090 wall thickness.

I was off to a good start but I have had to backoff for awhile during my treatment for T1C (stage 1) prostate cancer. I have just 13 radiation treatments left. Needless to say I have had more specific issues to address. I am very fortunate to have found my cancer very, very early. Don't believe the BS about not needing those unnecessary PSA tests (as stated by the current administration). I went in for a totally different reason that led to saving my life.

I have had my 6 month blood work. Normal PSA is .50 and I was .43. I guess I am now sub human. I am getting my PSRU (prop speed reduction unit) from Air Boat Gear Drives. It can be used with any Chevy big/small block v8 or 90 degree v6. It has 2.0 reduction ratio and has had no failures in twenty five years of use on airboats. They get more use than any airplane. It is a very stout unit with a reverse rotation. No different than using a low time certified reverse companion from a twin. They're only $2195 and you supply the flex plate for attachment to the engine. They will attach their resonance absorbing coupler to the flex plate. I am using the Ecotec 2.0L supercharged engine and am fabricating and adaptor plate for this combination. My PSRU is on the way. I'll have pictures of my adaptor plate and the PSRU attached to my engine in the cradle I am building with a mockup of my firewall so that I can build my engine mount.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Deceased

to the forum Blaine!

Fascinating project you have going there, do keep us posted.

I helped build an Evans VP-1 Volksplane, but that is a Model T compared to what you're up to.

Great prognosis with your illness, early detection is everything.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome- & good to hear you are doing well.. Agree PSA testing is important.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 AM

Thumbs up

welcome to the forum and from virginia