Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hello From Bisbee!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Hello From Bisbee!

Hi There. Glad I found this forum as I own a '09 HHR that I've had to modify the tail lights on. As a volunteer firefighter, I need flashing rear lights, both the stop/turn signal and the backup lights in order to warn drivers behind me not to follow. Also comes in handy on low-visibility days. I also have two radios in my HHR, one CB radio and the other is a 2 meter "ham" radio I use for emergency communications.

I'm 69 years old, but am in good physical shape and spent 12 years in the U.S. Marine Corps with a year in Vietnam (Yech!).

I do have one question - After wiring the flasher for the rear lights, I haven't been able to find a diagram for the final connection from flasher to the backup lights. Those lights have a brown wire and a green wire and the instructions that came with the flasher a pretty clear, but now my backup lights don't work and the flasher doesn't operate them, but does work with the turn/brake lights.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Can't help with wiring, but welcome and thanks for serving.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Welcome to the forum!

"I do have one question - After wiring the flasher for the rear lights, I haven't been able to find a diagram for the final connection from flasher to the backup lights. Those lights have a brown wire and a green wire and the instructions that came with the flasher a pretty clear, but now my backup lights don't work and the flasher doesn't operate them, but does work with the turn/brake lights".

and as for the lights I can't really help. I would have wired all the flashers separately with their own switch because I'm not all that experienced with electrical, and wouldn't know exactly what to do with the factory wiring
Old 11-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site. From one firefighter to another:
Modifying the wiring system kind of means you're on your own. I've done a lot of wiring work before(even on some firetrucks). With out seeing exactly how you setup is, it's just hard to say. Maybe some of your volunteer firefighters who have their POV's wired for lights can help you out.
I've never wired lights in a POV since I am on a paid dept. We can't respond in a POV. Sorry, that's all I got.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM

Welcome to the site and Thankyou for your service.. I was USN 71,Gator Navy and took you guys to and from the beach!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome, AZhumbird. Thanks for your service, in a terrible war.

Great town you live in. Visited many times. In fact, was there about 2 weeks ago. Took some pictures of my HHR in front of the old bank.

Hey, just a question for you. Isn't showing white lights (other than the license plate) to the rear of a vehicle illegal in Arizona?

Last edited by Snoopy; 11-17-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Hello , TICITRD, badassbowtie, firemangeorge, Radco, Snoopy and ThatChevy and thanks for posting your replies.

For Snoopy, no it isn't illegal to have the backup lights flash, as long as they still function normally otherwise. They and the stop/turn lights are wired separate from the OEM flasher with a rocker switch mounted on the console and our local (Sierra Vista) DMV says good to go. The only stipulation is that I can't run the lights on the highways, just local roads.

Radco, thanks for getting us on the beach. The Amtracs were a lot of fun but, ouch, rough! Especiallly running the Cua Viet River banks.