Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hello everyone! This my first post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 01:23 PM

Hello everyone! This my first post!

And naturally it is because I have a question. But first, a little about me..

I'm Larry B and I live in Washington, DC, but I am originally from a little town on Long Island no one has ever heard of called Amityville.

I bought my HHR LT in 2006 after my 1996 Blazer caught fire and burned, (a long story) and for the most part I have had very few problems in the 118K miles.

The other day after having the control arms replaced, the car began to have trouble starting. It will start but it cranks slowly and laboriously. I took in to have it looked at and was assured it needed a new battery. After nine years that seemed logical so it was done.

However, this morning, with a brand new battery, the baby still cranks slowly.

So before I jump to conclusions I thought I might get some advice from someone who may have had the same experience.

Anyone had a similar experience? Thanks in advance for any information!

Larry B.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:36 PM

Welcome!

What a horror!

I can't think of any direct connection ; however, it is possible that a ground wire got jiggled. There is one directly on the starter . also on the driver side top of The transmission and driver side radiator support.
Also check The positive wire on The Underhood fuse box.

Last edited by donbrew; 05-14-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: auto correct is stupid!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, check the ground cable in the back near the battery ensure it is clean and tight. We've also seen sometimes the new battery is incorrect or just faulty!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the info!

I just purchased a new starter and tomorrow morning I'll lift the car and go through all the recommended actions. If it turns out to be a loose ground or if the battery wasn't installed correctly than I'll make the called for adjustments and return the starter for refund. On the other hand, we are talking nine years and 119K so maybe a little proactivity is called for and I'll go on and switch out old for new and make sure all connections from back to front are correct and corrosion free.

Thanks for all the information! Greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:47 PM

One thing leads to another

Hi everyone!

I posted the other day about purchasing a new battery because the car (2006 HHR LT) was cranking slowly. The next morning the car barely cranked before starting, it took several attempts. Changed out a new starter with little trouble but once I started the car the starter kept running. I was told it was a problem with the ignition, which is a recall problem. So I drove to the nearest Chevrolet dealer (because getting through on the phone proved impossible) and when I got there the battery light had come on. I made the appointment for Monday AM and drove to the parts store from where I had purchased the starter. Told them of the situation and they said, "Sounds like your alternator!"

Yeah, great.

By the time I got home the power steering had gotten balky and the air bag and power steering alerts had come on. By the time I parked the car the battery (two days old) was totally spent.

What the hell? My buddy is bringing over a battery charger tomorrow and I priced a replacement alternator but in order to replace it I understand you have to remove all kind of stuff to even get to the alternator, (motor mount, etc.)

Does anyone know of any instructional video or diagrams for replacing the alternator?

This started with me having my control arms replaced and new brakes and rotors installed. That repair made the car run smooth and true but it seems to have led to a series of unfortunate events.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Just about any auto parts store will do a free check of your charging system.

Courtesy of a quick search on youtube for "hhr alternator":

and there are a few others - those are just the first two I found.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Administrator

I would still double check all ground wires.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 AM

Sound more like the New solenoid is bad, or the starter was installed so that the gear is sticking, or the starter relay is bad, or a shorted ground.

The starter is what killed the battery, the run down battery caused the errors.

The charging system cannot be tested with a dead battery in the car. DO NOT buy a new alternator until you prove it bad!!!!!!!!!!

Why didn't you go ask whoever did the control arms? They evidently did something, since the symptoms happened immediately.

Stop throwing parts at the problem, find out what is wrong and fix it. Sometimes paying for diagnosis is cheaper than asking bozos on the street for advice.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Administrator

So, I'm on the street now, or just a Bozo? LOL.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:57 PM

I meant the guy at the auto parts store and the dealer.

But,"I think we're all Bozos on this bus"! Firesign Theatre.