Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hello... Introduction... First post ^_^

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 PM

Hello... Introduction... First post ^_^

Hi... just picked up an 09 LT "half panel" in october... been waiting around to say hi for quite some time... now that my account has been authorized i spose "HI" is in order :)

few years ago i seen the HHR for the first time and thought that somebody had beat up a pt cruizer and made it for men LOL j/k anyway... long story short 6-7 months ago i was in the market for a new vehicle and decided the HHR was the way to go... i seen that there was a panel version out along with the standard 8 window version and being a fan of the grave digger monster truck i opted to get the panel version. that is until i found out last september that the panel versions dont and WILL NOT come with seats/belts and was informed by many various dealers that installing seats/belts would void possible chassis and interior warrenties, as well as most of the insurance companies i talked with said that these kind of custimizations are mostly frowned upon which is what led to the demize of the "conversion" van era and most likely if i were to get into an accident and someone was sitting in the back seat, that they most likely would not be covered if something were to happen to them... so i waited...

early october i seen online a picture of an HHR with the very back windows absent like the panel model but the rear doors were there with windows.. after much searching and searching and you guessed it searching some more... i finally found a dealership that knew exactly what i was talking about (bill kay in lisle il) and suddenly a plan developed--- ill get the "half-panel" model and put panel rear doors on it-- cheat the system MUA HAHAHAH ^_^

since i plan on doing much custom work to my HHR, i opted for the LS model half panel since theres no point in paying extra money for something thats probably going to be removed anyway.

so here i sit with the best of both worlds in terms of hhr's go... i have the awesome look of an hhr panel with the comfort and convienence of a 4 seater wagon. the only problem i have is that i was blindly hoping that chevy in an act of cost cutting, used a single style wire harness and just tied off unused options (NOT THE CASE IN THE LEAST) after i installed the panel rear doors, i found that theres dozens of different harnesses and relays and switches that ill have to purchase in order to get the key fob to remotely open the rear doors... small inconvienent detail as to how cool it looks having a smoothed out ride (btw.. i found the panel rear doors in a boneyard up in rockford ($975) off of an 06 in such good condition, even a body shop had to look real long and hard to spot the difference... the white is just a split hair different)

sorry this post is so long but ive been waiting a long time to post ~_~ lol

like i said, im doing lots of custom work to this vehicle, one of which is removing the stock radio (i know it contains the onstar system so its going to be relocated) and installing a 7"-8" touch screen computer (i do all the custom work), since my version doesnt have steering wheel audio controls and most dealerships are less than helpfull, if theres anyone out there that has a panel model hhr or a model with some things that come from the factory, that wouldnt mind looking up some tags on the wire harneses and part #'s for me, it would be greatly apreciated...

what i need:
1) engine wire harnes # :
the one that is under the hood that leads to a small relay box just to the right side of the main fuse box (its attached to the driver side front fender and contains 2 relay units- non panel vehicles have the same box but only 1 relay which control the door locks- the other relay controls the solenoid that opens the rear panel doors)

2) steering wheel radio controls:
i dont know how elaborate these get or how many buttons they decided to include but at minimal i need (volume up/down) (track selection up/down) and if there is such a creature (play/pause) so basicly, the more elaborate the assembly the better, i guess i need:
switch assembly # (the button assembly itself with circuit board)
switch cover (the silver plastic piece)
wire harness # from inside behind the wheel airbag leading through the steering column (it looks like a "Y" upside down)

3) rear door harness #'s
from what i understand from what the dealerships have told me theres one for the left and one for the right

4) the switch assembly on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel that has the door open functions for the rear doors

the reason i would like to use OEM parts for that is to keep that portion of it as factory as possible, after talking with several dealerships, i found out that as long as i use GM parts to make the mod's, then the original OEM equipment would still be under warenty, just the stuff i add wouldnt be covered.... in a nutshell if say the factory harness under the dashboard didnt contain the wires i needed after a connector, and i added a harness that plugged into the under dash harness then the warrenty would only cover devices upto that first connector and anything after that would be at my own risk (good enough for me)

so umm... yeah i guess ive said HI long enough :) hope i get to meet some of you hhr customizers sometime here in the future :)
Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 15
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! There are some threads around that can answer some of your questions. You can search for them using the Search tool at the top of the screen or you can wait and someone will answer eventually
Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM

Wink You have successfully defended your dissertation

Welcome from (snowy) SoCal and welcome to the HHR familia!

What color and we like pix!

@ngelita
Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome , A home made full panel, sweeeet. you will find that this site is quite addicting. Weres the pics ?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 PM

One thing I've learned (the hard way) is YOU CAN NOT TRUST A DEALER EMPLOYEE to speak for GM corp. There are ones that visit this site that know whats what.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM

I beleive thats the longest first post I have ever seen ......
Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 PM

HI!

(I was gonna respond with a post as long as your but didn't want my hands to cramp up!)
Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 PM

to the best place for anything
Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by 08BlkSS
I beleive thats the longest first post I have ever seen ......
X2 .. good way to get your foot in the door though.
this site is amazing and were all here to help each other
just use the search tool first , then post up second for help
and good luck
Old 12-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Welcome from another Illini panel owner (with back seats). Think I spent about $350 putting factory seats/belts in the back, very easy conversion. Not sure if you're aware or interested, there is an open switch on the passenger side (dash) for the right rear door.

Quick Reply: Hello... Introduction... First post ^_^