Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

HHR Redux

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:21 PM

HHR Redux

I guess I have really stepped in it now. Just bought my second HHR. Did I screw up?
Some quick background: called up TireRack on Oct. 28 and ordered up a set of Hankooks for the better half's 2006 HHR. We get up early on the 31st and the better half and I leave to go on vacation. That night we get the call no parent ever wants: my step-son, who was left at home with the HHR has totaled it whilst coming home from the local convenience store. Airbag deployed when he hit a tree to avoid hitting a deer but other than being a bit addlepated he's mostly OK. The EMTs check him out thoroughly but he refuses to go to a hospital.

So, what to do with these tires? It'll be another $52 on top of the $52 spent to have them shipped here-plus UPS charges 7.50 per package (and of course, tires can only be shipped in pairs or one package) so tack on yet another $15. Plus, on top of it all the missus has to have another vehicle.
After going to several dealers and looking at nearly everything out there we came home and looked at everything on the 'net. We really looked long and hard but still could not find anything to satisfy her so I finally ask "well, what about another HHR"?

Turns out it's the best idea I've ever had(according to her). Plus, she just what she's always wanted: a 2011 inblack with tan interior and 17" chromies so I'm making out like a bandit! Dunno what I'll do if this one gets wrecked or wears out.

That's it for my first post.
Thanks much to whomever put this place together and to the rest of you that keep it going. I'll try to get more involved after we get the new addition home and settled in-ha!

Later y'all,
Snuffy
Old 11-10-2014, 04:04 AM

Welcome to the site I moved your post to the introductions.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

Welcome! Glad your loved one is OK! Keep safe, and enjoy your HHRs!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Welcome to the forum and you really did make the right choice... There really isn't anything else quite like the HHR :)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Deceased

aboard!

As a guy with four of them, you made the right choice!
Old 11-16-2014, 05:12 AM
Deceased

and aboard
Greetings from Texas
Old 01-30-2015, 03:12 PM

Well, turns out the salesman on that car was a real tool and we wound up not getting that one. He had mentioned a big chip on the rear fender but did NOT mention how badly the paint was shattered on the rear bumper-until I made him send me more pics. Told him how dissatisfied I was with him and to then take it to the dealer's body shop and get an estimate on how much to fix it. Once we knew what the estimate was we would then decide on whether to let them fix it or take it as is-less the estimate amount-and have it fixed when it got here. Strangely, he would not call me back after that (imagine that!) After about two weeks the idiot finally calls back (I wasn't home) and asks the wife if we still want the car as he now has someone else interested in it! When she asks about the estimate and why hasn't he called before now he acts like it's the first he's heard. Needless to say she told him what to do with the vehicle and hangs up on him. Bad enough when salesmen screw up but then try to act like a dumba$$ it really takes the cake. When I got home I called the used car sales manager and gave him hell about it but I highly doubt it did any good.

So the search started over again. All whilst we were in process of moving about 225 miles north of where we were living. Finally found another CPO we both liked close to New Orleans but they wanted more than we were willing to pay. Finally get most of the move over and the fighting over having only one vehicle got to be almost constant and quite tiresome. Went back to checking Auto Trader and the one we liked was still on there and they'd finally dropped the price. So I call them and once again I get another tool for a salesman. Tells me he'll check on this and that and call me back but never does. After about 3 times I call his manager and REALLY unload on him for hiring such a male reproductive organ! He's apologetic as can be and assures me he'll get his best guy on it. He then pulls the work order on it himself, along with the Car Fax and we both go over it all with a fine-toothed comb. At the end I offer him a grand less than advertised and he thinks it over for a minute and says well, it's been here too long, I'll accept that. Twenty minutes after the call ends his guy calls me back with all the info needed to start the purchase and a week later I drive over with Pop and buy it after a long test drive.

So we now own a really nice 2010 Claret Red HHR LT2 with tan interior (why is that color interior so hard to find?) with just 43K on the clock along with just about every option save the dash screen and the locking rear seat back storage compartments-which I've only ever seen in an owner's manual. Got the heated leather seats, sunroof, remote start, back up cam-more goodies than the black one had and the missus is now happy as can be with it! Decides to names it Sassy.

I should have taken pics when it was clean but soon as it warms up enough to give it a good bath and wax it I'll post a few. Oh and the new Hankook tires work wonderful here on the mountain roads - they're soooo much better than the Firestones that were on it. It ain't no sports car but it sticks good enough for me! I was a bit concerned about buying Korean-made tires but not anymore. And to think when me and the wife first got together I hated her 2006 HHR...
Old 01-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Enjoy