Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Looking to buy my first HHR, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM

@Misfire,

If you are thinking about purchasing this vehicle through a dealership, you can request information about the service history. You will need to have the VIN of the vehicle to see about getting this information.

I would have to agree with 843de, request a Carfax printout of this used vehicle.

As you can see, you will read a lot of information about what people are experiencing here, but you will want to do what is best for your situation.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
@Misfire,

If you are thinking about purchasing this vehicle through a dealership, you can request information about the service history. You will need to have the VIN of the vehicle to see about getting this information.

I would have to agree with 843de, request a Carfax printout of this used vehicle.

As you can see, you will read a lot of information about what people are experiencing here, but you will want to do what is best for your situation.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Carfax doesn't show all maintenance records. Definitely get the dealership service records-do NOT put any stake into what the Carfax shows you as far as what major repairs the car has received.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
Maybe you are getting OLD and tired,
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Misfire
thanks everyone, im happy some people want to be friendly lol. Neons do suck that's why I want something new :)

Welcome man !

I own a 2011 black panel and LOVE it ... "Vampirella" shes a bit of a princess as I only take her out occasionally and on long hauls for like Vacation but I also Drove one for work ...a 2008 and ran the holly livid crap out of her for 6 days a week ... loved it my man. Like my man said above there are SSooooo many Mod options that to be honest I have Issues figuring out which ones I want! and often second guess myself

Last edited by SindyDix; 08-12-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 AM

I'll pass on my info for my 06 model that was purchased new back in Sept 06.

The 06's had what was commonly known as an A/C growl, fixed under warranty. Odds are you won't hear of this too much. It usually happened early on.

My blower motor went south back in 2008, also replaced under warranty. The early model HHR have a plastic butyle patch under the cowl and most leaked after a while. It's an easy fix, but this would cause the blower motor to go early. Odds are, this also has been fixed. Not sure what year GM updated this.

Had to do the first front brake job at 47K. Could have had the rotors turned, but the way I saw it, at that mileage it would only be time before they would be below specs and just need to be replaced.

At 65K miles, I started to get the famous brake studder again. Rear brakes were not properly adjusted. Fixed that, cleaned up the rotors. Like glass again. Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea on the HHR to just use some brake cleaner on the rears every year or so just to help them stay adjusted. Only time will tell me if I'm right.

The body on mine has no dents (other then one door ding that was repaired by PDR a while back). Those that have dents on the rear hatch, must not use the handle supplied. I feel it's there for a reason. Dents in the hood from the latch supports? That's a new one for me. Hood closes so effortly, I don't see how that would happen.

I'm now at 66K miles. I have a very slight rattle in the dash that I hear on very rough pavement. Can't quite track it down.

Here's a suggestion, look at modifications someone has listed and then compare it to the complaints they have. Some may be self explanitory. I drive mine daily, in Atlanta. So it's definately not babied, but not abused either.

Last edited by SindyDix; 08-12-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM

My 2006 2lt bought 3 year lease turn in, had 32,000 miles replaced the cam solenoids because of hard shifting 20 minutes of my time and $110.00, replaced bushings and links not vbecause they needed to be butbecause of mileage and they would need it sometime, my mileage is just over 51,000 and love the HHR more each day so they will have to BURY me in it, unless I win the LOTTO.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks again for the technical information! When looking for a new vehicle it's nice to know the common problems so when you "hear that noise" you have an idea what it is.

I received the car fax from the dealer and the driver fender was replaced replaced. $900 repair according to the fax. After examining the car I noticed an uneven gap between the door and fender, and the top of the fender and the hood. Also, near the bottom of the door it catches on the fender when the door opens. $900 is not a lot of damage as body shops are criminal, but the quality of the repair is shady and gives me a lack of confidence in this particular vehicle.

I will think this one over, I'm sure it was just a poor installation but I rather have one with a clean slate and no accidents.