Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm going to read the "2.0 issues speak up" thread then look for an SS.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Deceased

Good luck with your hunt, be sure to let us all know when you find one.

P.S. Post plenty of pics.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Welcome! as for the "SS" specific issues, there aren't too many. There is HHR issues in general. However, most people will tell you that the LNF is a darn good engine that has taken a beating and keeps going...The only thing that rings a bell is a timing chain issue that has been popping up recently on the forum. when it comes down to a percentage, its not a lot of people on the forum. Anyhow it seems like the common preventative maintenance is to replace the timing chain at the 100,000 mile mark, and then your good(but I don't know from experience)...At the same time, there ARE NOT very many high mileage SS's (like 125k+) to report a lot of problems...Low mileage is your best bet(like was said above), but also communicate with members here if you have any small issues..
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM

Do any of you SS owners install catch cans on your motors. I know technology has progressed along ways but I'm very unfamiliar with these modern turbo engines.

Sorry to bore some of you with this question.

For example engine shutdown. Has modern technology and GM's oiling system good enough to prevent turbo bearing seizure?? On the old school turbo motors (surpas and 300zx) it was always advised you let the engine come down to idle for a minute or two then shut the car off to ensure the bearings in the turbo are lubed. Hence why people installed turbo timers to hopefully prevent bearing seize.

I ask this because I personally havent owned a turboed vehicle. I would think that technology is good enough now that you can just park and shut your motor off without worry.

Sorry if I rambled
Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ZR2nit
Do any of you SS owners install catch cans on your motors. I know technology has progressed along ways but I'm very unfamiliar with these modern turbo engines.

Sorry to bore some of you with this question.

For example engine shutdown. Has modern technology and GM's oiling system good enough to prevent turbo bearing seizure?? On the old school turbo motors (surpas and 300zx) it was always advised you let the engine come down to idle for a minute or two then shut the car off to ensure the bearings in the turbo are lubed. Hence why people installed turbo timers to hopefully prevent bearing seize.

I ask this because I personally havent owned a turboed vehicle. I would think that technology is good enough now that you can just park and shut your motor off without worry.

Sorry if I rambled
I am not sure of the exact name of the parts or technology...but its not necessary to wait to shut down.

Just for peace of mind I always let her cool for a minute or so. also, I always wait until the rpm's drop down on cold starts before I go anywhere.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
I am not sure of the exact name of the parts or technology...but its not necessary to wait to shut down.

Just for peace of mind I always let her cool for a minute or so. also, I always wait until the rpm's drop down on cold starts before I go anywhere.
Thanks for the reply
Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 AM

Welcome to the site from The Volunteer State and I'm with badassbowtie. While it may not be necessary to do so since I bought my Volvo I always just for added peace of mind let the car idle for a minute or two before shutting it off and wait for the rpm's to drop on cold starts before leaving to go anywhere. My dad also does the same thing since he traded in his Cobalt for a Mazdaspeed 3.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM

SS Panel

Welcome

There is a member on the forum who has an SS Panel with only 45,000 miles. Do a Search for it. He is asking $15,000 and they only built about 216 Panels with the SS option. In my opinion this is the one to buy if it is still available.

Boydie Back in the Saddle...................

Originally Posted by ZR2nit
Just wanted to jump through the usual hoops and say hello. I'm seriously thinking about buying a manual 08-10 SS with the optional Brembo brakes and LSD. I could use something fun to drive that, better fuel economy than my truck, and a lot more storage as well. Not to mention that these cars are getting cheap.

I'm going to look around to make sure the LNF isn't a PITA to wrench on first before I buy it. A family friend owned a PT Cruiser and I reguarly got volunteered to work on it. Put a few sensors in it and man did it suck.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site , happy hunting!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM

I appreciate all the insight. I think the panels are cool but this would be a people mocer so having no rear windows wouldnt work out well. Okay so I have a few more questions

I'm leaning towards a 2010 with the factory wide band setup/DIC. My question is will I miss that extra storage space in the dash? Do the SS models have the same storage bins in the back seats as the LT models? I'm talking about the storage bins in the seat backs of the rear fold down seats

Also what is the real world fuel economy of the SS?

Finally I'm leaning towards a black SS. However I have found other SS models in Dark Blue and Silver with the Stage 1 GMPP Turbo Upgrade. Is it worth me settling on a color I don't prefer in order to get the extra power and torque?

Thanks for the help everyone