Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

new hhr owner from southern cali

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 AM

new hhr owner from southern cali

hey guys i just picked up a 2010 chevy hhr lt last thursday for a daily driver since fuel in my diesel 250 is killing me.i picked it up for 12300 and some change otd with 3 year warranty.sticker on it was around 15999 iirc.

here it sat at the stealership
Name:  IMG_0097.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  54.9 KB

they were trying to get me into a chevy aveo with roll up windows and i saw this car and told them i want this one or no deal so they ended up doing it for me.

so far i have blacked out the grille,the rear badge,and corner lights.i have on order front clear lights since the stock ones were broken and also rear reflectors for the rear bumper(i broke one)
Name:  new-2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  43.1 KB
Name:  new1-1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  27.1 KB
i painted the stock steelies as well.i tried painting the hub cabs to run those for a bit but i used a different kind of paint this time and it didnt stick it just bubbled like there was grease on it.yet the primer layed down just fine.anyways that paint when in the trash. so i ordered up some wheels.staying with 16s as the tires are literally brand new and i got this as a dd so im not dumping a ton of money into it.340otd

Name:  wheel-4.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  19.0 KB

i already ordered 55w 5000kelvin hids for it.and also all white leds inside and out so just waiting for those in the mail as well

also i shaved rear emblems

plans are:
put new wheels on
get it closer to the ground(just cant find a kit thats low enough for me)
either get an ss grille or get this one actually colormatched(also rear bowtie)
black out windows
havnt decided if i want to do a small system or not,although i do miss driving my 250 for that exact reason
and that should be it.just drive the hell out of it i guess

and yes it is disgustingly dirty. it keeps raining one day then sunny two days then raining again here so i was going to wait till my day off on monday and clay it and buff all the scratches and try to get the swirl marks out
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM

Welcome & enjoy the ride!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Deceased

to the forum GR$$N$, and congrats on your new ride!

Had it less than a week and already modding like mad, yup...you've got the fever.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

welcome to the family, sounds like you are well on your way on mods here is one I liked.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 AM

thanks guys.and the fever is always there with me. i build offroad trucks and bagged trucks on the side. this would be my first car modding that ive owned. my wife has an 08 scion xb but she keeps scraping her hubcaps so i wont buy her wheels.dropped it and did a bunch of other things to it though
Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by GR$$N$
thanks guys.and the fever is always there with me. i build offroad trucks and bagged trucks on the side. this would be my first car modding that ive owned. my wife has an 08 scion xb but she keeps scraping her hubcaps so i wont buy her wheels.dropped it and did a bunch of other things to it though
Have you thought about getting her some curb feelers?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Mine is lowered 2 inch front and 2 1/2 in the rear Eibach used my 2006 2lt to redesign new springs for the HHR, Progress in Anaheim, calif. is where I got my springs, they also make the rear sway bar for the HHR, you may want to look into socalHHRs we get together. enjoy your HHR.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Mike, a Rat Rod?

Congratz on your new ride bud.. Yours looks about how I am looking to take mine..

Question, what kind of paint did you use on the grille and what process? I am thinking of painting mine..
Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 PM

shes only hit the curb twice.once before i sprayed them.once after and i told her if she doesnt hit a curb in 6 months ill buy her wheels.lol.

jay is your car level with 2/2.5? my rear is 1.5" higher in the rear it seems and since im sticking with 16s i'd like to get it as low to the tire as possible.once thats all squared away ill look into a rear sway bar and also look into poly bushings up front.

meijer thanks.its taking too long for me though.it'll be a week tomorrow and i want it done already
as far as painting goes i use only rustoleum i pressure washed my grille first.then scotch bright padded it.then rustoleum grey primer. then for paint i used rustoleum professional gloss paint.its a different black then the oem black but you can hardly tell.

as for the paint i mentioned earlier that bubbled was just rustoleum gloss. so make sure when you get the paint you get the professional(chrome can and larger bottle)

also when the hids come in im thinking of doing the same thing i did to my wifes scion. splitting the headlights and doing black background. ive done this to numerous cars but still havnt decided if i want to do it to this one or not.also removing the amber lens inside for when i run my leds. whats your opinions?
Name:  2011-08-06_18-24-03_806.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  32.5 KB

and no this doesnt affect light output.as you can see in the picture above i taped off the chrome part that the light actually touches(for the highs at least). i love the look of tinted lights but where i live it'd be a constant ticket.they cant bust me for black backgrounds tho
Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM

My car sits levelfront to back, it just rides harder than stock but I like the looks.

Quick Reply: new hhr owner from southern cali