Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New Member of the HHR SS Owner's Family

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 AM

Thumbs up New Member of the HHR SS Owner's Family

I'm very happy to be a new member of this forum, and even more happy to be a new member of the HHR SS owners club!

I was actually planning on waiting until Spring 2011 to consider the purchase of an HHR SS (my current car is almost 9 years old with 170k miles) but I happened to be reading some articles and did a search and found out that the SS was not going to be continued. I then did another search and came across this forum where I found out that not only are they not making SS's any more, but all remaining stock was already at the dealers.

So I told my wife that if I was going to use the earnings from my GM Credit Card (I had accumulated $3300 over the years) to buy an SS (it was really the only GM car I would consider buying) it was going to have to be now.

So we get the family in the car (I have two daughters 8 and 11 years old) to go down to the Chevy dealer to take a look at the SS that they had in stock. The salesman confirmed that the SS was done and there were not a lot of them remaining.

Well, the entire family fell in love with the car, including my wife. We also test drove a Mazdaspeed 3 as the competition right after test driving the HHR SS, and we all preferred the SS overall. This wasn't something that I expected, as I usually like small lightweight vehicles ( I also own a Lotus Exige S).

This SS is really cool. I am impressed with how Chevy got this one right. Very good handling for this type of vehicle, yet the ride quality is smooth, but still tight. And the Mazdaspeed3 didn't seem much faster than the SS. Plenty of power, and it is amazing that they get 260hp out of a 2.5 litre 4 banger (and up to 290 with the kit)!

I wanted a Victory Red one, with the performance package....and I wanted it bad!

Turns out that only two existed in all of southern california. One dealer that shall remain nameless was ridiculous, telling me that they really wouldn't take anything off sticker price!

I drove 100 miles to Escondido Quality Chevrolet, and in no time flat made a great deal (several thousand off sticker), and the extra cash from the GM Card made this one of the best deals that I have ever got on a car.

This thing really is fun to drive, but still practical as well. A "family" car shouldn't be this fun and cool!

Will try to post pictures soon.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:43 AM

Congrats.

Definitely consider the LNF Turbo Upgrade (some call it Stage 1)...it's reasonably priced, makes a huge difference in terms of performance, and because it's made by GM, doesn't void any warranties.

If you ever get the urge to do any kind of customization, you'll find everything from $10 to $X,000 mods here. One thing I've always liked about the SS is that it already has a modded look to it, with the SS-only body kit...but there's plenty you can do to make yours stand out from the masses (though there really aren't many SSes around) if you so desire.

As far as the exterior goes, all I've really done is paint the canvas a little differently...the only actual parts I've changed are the taillights...just goes to show you can find a distinctive look without changing the bones up too much:

Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Welcome from Detoilet, MI. And you're right... it's good to be here in both cases.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 AM

Cool

Welcome.....
Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Welcome Rob! There is a get together at the Hooters Show this Sunday in Lake Forest if you're interested. You can meet alot of the So Cal HHR'ers. Would love to see your new ride!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Welcome!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 PM
jx3

[CENTER]Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 20
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Originally Posted by Devils950003
Congrats.

Definitely consider the LNF Turbo Upgrade (some call it Stage 1)...it's reasonably priced, makes a huge difference in terms of performance, and because it's made by GM, doesn't void any warranties.
Yeah, that is nice. That is a huge increase in HP for that kind of money, that's for sure.

It is really amazing to me that they can get that kind of HP out of a four banger! Under factory warranty no less.

If you ever get the urge to do any kind of customization, you'll find everything from $10 to $X,000 mods here. One thing I've always liked about the SS is that it already has a modded look to it, with the SS-only body kit...but there's plenty you can do to make yours stand out from the masses (though there really aren't many SSes around) if you so desire.
I love the look of the SS! The body kit makes a huge difference. There are relatively small things that I would like to do, and that's about it.

As far as the exterior goes, all I've really done is paint the canvas a little differently...the only actual parts I've changed are the taillights...just goes to show you can find a distinctive look without changing the bones up too much:
Your SS looks great with the black roof!

Originally Posted by socalhhrjjj
Welcome Rob! There is a get together at the Hooters Show this Sunday in Lake Forest if you're interested. You can meet alot of the So Cal HHR'ers. Would love to see your new ride!
Very cool! I won't be able to make it this weekend though as we have to pick up my 11 year old daughter from camp. Would love to make a future meet though.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 PM

Welcome from the OC and to the HHR familia!
Check out the South Pacific thread -- we always get together for usually no reason at all with the occasional planned event ...

And we like pix!

@ngelita and Sirius Blackie
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Corvette Owners Club meet next month at the Embarcadero down here in San Diego, Tom's Farm should be coming up soon, can't believe we aren't planning this yet!

Quick Reply: New Member of the HHR SS Owner's Family