Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New Member of the HHR SS Owner's Family

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:14 PM

It's interesting (and slightly comforting) to hear you preferred it over the Speed3. Several other factors went into my decision to go with the SS, but the main thing that drew me away from the Mazda without ever driving one was the styling. I kinda like the "mad grin" uber-Japanese look of the new model, but hate that it's so similar to the regular 3s. There's already dozens of non-Speed 3s around here, and you'd have to really WANT to know to be able to tell them apart from the fast one. But what REALLY turned me off was the weird red seat inserts, and red polka-dot interior trim. That would have driven this no-longer-a-kid crazy after a few months. No can do. Welcome to the club!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by damronjr
Corvette Owners Club meet next month at the Embarcadero down here in San Diego, Tom's Farm should be coming up soon, can't believe we aren't planning this yet!
Damron, I was thinking the same thing too and I am sure we will discuss this in SD! Once we park and check the place out, not much else to do but chat.

Rob, if you were willing to drive 100 miles to SD to get your baby, you might want to check out (or at least attend even if you don't enter) the show Damron is talking about: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/south-pacific-36/main-street-america-car-show-28685/

Absolutely one of the most gorgeous places to have a show and best run events we have been to.

@ngelita
Old 07-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by HHRemi
It's interesting (and slightly comforting) to hear you preferred it over the Speed3. Several other factors went into my decision to go with the SS, but the main thing that drew me away from the Mazda without ever driving one was the styling. I kinda like the "mad grin" uber-Japanese look of the new model, but hate that it's so similar to the regular 3s. There's already dozens of non-Speed 3s around here, and you'd have to really WANT to know to be able to tell them apart from the fast one. But what REALLY turned me off was the weird red seat inserts, and red polka-dot interior trim. That would have driven this no-longer-a-kid crazy after a few months. No can do. Welcome to the club!
Well, this really is interesting, as I agree with virtually everything you say here!

I have heard MANY people say how much they HATE the front end of the new Mazda 3's. I don't know why, because personally I really like the front end a lot!

But.......those seats! What in the world were they thinking? It looks ridiculous! Same with the door panels too.

As for the exterior differences between the 3 and the speed, the speed does have the hood scoop, and that's the biggest difference.

Another reason I went with the SS over the Speed3 is that I am replacing a Mazda Protege3. Even though the Speed3 was obviously faster, we all felt like I was simply updating my current car, whereas the HHR SS was something completely new, different and exciting. The fact that it has more room and is more practical for family outings was another factor, and the $3300 GM Card earnings I had saved over the years sealed the deal!