Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

The second HHR needs upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 PM

Cool The second HHR needs upgrades

Hi! I am of course new but this is our second HHR. The first was a 2007 fully loaded and my wife loved it from the first second she saw it on the show room floor, she even named it. At the end of august last year she was T boned by a careless driver totaling the car with 38000 miles on it completely breaking her heart and the only HHR I could find at the time was a 2011 with only 16000 miles on it as they were not available new and all the other used ones were not very good. Unfortunately it does not have XM, which she loves but won't let me clutter the dash with an aftermarket, standard center rear view mirror and no fog lights. I did get her some cool floor mats, front and cargo, with very large HHR lettering on them and since it is black with light metal flake and the chrome package, we put a silver pinstripe down the side ending in HHR, Looks cool and helps bring out the metal flake.

I would like to bring it up to snuff for her and am seeking advise on doing so. It did not come with remote start but does have keyless entry and I would like to add the remote start feature. I would also like to know if the existing radio supports XM. It looks like the other but I can't find a way to do it, also I would like to get some fog lights that snap in with out the dealer prices.

Anyway, we love the HHR but she will never completely accept it until it is up to par.https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif
Old 07-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Welcome to the site.
The 2011 does support XM. You should see a CAT button on the HU. You can press that all you want, and it will more than likely say that it is for XM radio only. You can get the OEM XM box that gets put in the left cargo panel, where the sub enclosure is also located.

And here is a how-to for the remote start, which is from this great forum group.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=28551&page=11
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site, EDTHESCOT, I just bought my second HHR also, as always hindsight is 20.20 the best way to get the features you want is to buy one with them all. My second one has all the buttons but no bluetooth, since they no longer make or sell them, don't be surprised if the chevy dealers treat you like a red headed step child. That is the ugly truth, But don't you love the HHR anyway ?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 PM

In order to have the bluetooth on the 2011, is if you have Onstar. The BT is embedded into the Onstar system, instead of the HU...which is really ridiculous.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Ha ha My second one is an 08, I have a premium head unit from my 09, would it plug and play in the 08 ? Not trying to jack your thread , the correct answer might help us both
Old 07-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.
No XM and no remote start. Doesn't that mean that's it's a previous rental?
If so. Aren't there some issues with adding these features to one?
Someone can chime in with the correct info.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:24 PM

Yes, it basically means that it was a previous rental. Its the same setup that mine has. Ive been battling myself on whether or not I actually want to go through and install the XM component on it.
As for the remote start...there apparently is a way to bypass it.

You will have to check and first make sure you HHR has the "Remote Start" option.

So on your wheel press and hold these buttons for at least 5 second. (Info and Return)

Click the "INFO" button until you see "Remote Start" and turn it on.

Now that it is on, go to the passenger side and remove the panel cover. Some are hard to pull off, but no worries, you wont break it.
Once the cover is off, look for the "PURPLE" wire. There is a Dark Puple and a Lite Purple. You want the Dark Purple one. Use a wire connector to clamp to the wire and a 3" to 6" jump wire. No need in cutting the wire.
Ground the jump wire to any metal around that is a good ground.

The reason the Purple wire is for is for safety. If you had remote start, your hood would have a switch on it that would not let your HHR start if the hood is up.

So once you have all that done, time to test it out.

On your key fob, press and hold the "LOCK" button down and then hold down the "PANIC" button. Hold them both for about 3 to 5 seconds.

Once the engines starts, you can only turn it off by putting the key in and turning the engine off. There is no button on the key fob that will turn it off remotely. Remote start will run your engine for 10 minutes and shut off by itself.