Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

So Many Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM

So Many Problems

..I don't know where to start; chronologically...
1. tried to rotate dash vent - it snapped into 2 pieces
2. opened drivers side door - pull latch snapped off (we now use piece of wire threaded thru hole in stub (that i drilled)
3. power steering failed - some sort of chip ($172)
4. AC/Heat fan started making very loud noise on "high" causing dash to vibrate - noise apprx 90 db.
----the above four items happened in the first 3 months of ownership - we bought the car used and were told by chevy dealer that warranty had expired.
5. put car in "Park" one day and went to remove key from ignition; A. engine stopped, but ignition could not be turned off & key could not be removed. Dealer quoted $452 but couldn't get to it for 3 days! Went to local shop owned by friend of friend - he took console apart and had the key out in 30 minutes - you have to depress a very small switch underneath the shifter while turning the key.
6. AC/Heat fan (#4 above) stopped making 'blender' noise, BUT front radio speakers stopped working at the same time. Now we only have right rear speaker.
7. alarm that indicates lights are "on" has stopped working.
8. alarm that indicates key has been left in ignition has stopped working.
9. switch on rear cabin overhead light has broken - light will not turn off.
10. cigarette lighter has stopped working - can't use GPS or charge phone anymore.
11. second AC/Heat vent flow director broke.
12. rear wiper will not shut off when engine is running - removed wiper but we get strange looks from folks behind us when they notice wiper holder going back and forth.
Other than that . . . powertrain runs well; we get 25 mpg @ 75 mph, BUT it is obvious to us that the interior trim, controls, electrical system, finish in general - is cheap plastic junk. I DID receive a letter from Chevrolet offering me a "Maintenance Plan" ostensibly due to my facebook postings about each and every problem (wonder how they got my snailmail?) anyway when i called they said a "plan" for a used vehicle could be purchased for as little as $500 per year.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by whopper; 12-29-2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: removed reference to illegal activity for posters protection
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Welcome to the site.

The "drivers side door - pull latch" is NOT a pull, it is a latch handle. The door pull is that hole in the armrest. That is the reason it broke. There is a repair part available from Dorman.

Unless your HHR has a "smoker package" You have no cigarette lighter, you have a 12 volt power outlet. There is a big difference. The fuse is probably blown and/or the receptacle has melted.

The shift interlock is a fairly common failure, a spritz of WD40 to the solenoid under the shifter sometimes fixes it. (the small button trick is in the Owner Manual) you can get a digital copy by using the Search box at the top of this page.

The "alarm" problems come from your driver door speaker being broken (that's where the sound comes from). Fan noise from water through the Butyl patch if it's a 2006, could have splashed enough around that everything in the waterfall area got wet and possibly shorted.
The rear wiper and the power outlet may be related since they are very close to each other, maybe a couple of wires melted together.

Use the aforementioned SEARCH box and you will find that others have had the same problems and most of them found solutions.

So, what's the point of your post? Did you want help? Or just a place to spew? We are happy to help, but spewing not so much.

I doubt that the "Maintenance Plan" has anything at all to do with Chevrolet. You just advertised yourself as a consumer in need of xxxx product. Did you get any help from Facebook? Maybe you should have tried Twitter.

I don't even know for sure what kind of car you have, year, model etc..
Old 12-28-2013, 10:29 PM

Welcome, I sorry your not having good luck with your hhr. The 2006 model hhr had some growing pains that for the most part got worked out in that first year.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Deceased

Hmmmm.....Lacy, where to begin?

The dash vents can break if "manhandled", and being that you bought your HHR used, they may have been broken and repaired before you even got your hands on the vehicle.

The chrome latches are used to open the doors as Don pointed out, using them to pull the doors closed will break them, but they can be replaced for less than $60 and an hour of your time.

No chip at fault with the power steering, it was a failure of the steering assist motor, a DIY replacement job that can be done for less than $125.

The stuck ignition key may have been a problem with the shift interlock, or ignition lock cylinder. Your friend of a friend didn't properly diagnose and repair the problem if you still have to use the "Emergency Key Release" under the column.

The heater fan noise can be damage from a known water leak issue on '06 HHR's, or it could be a blocked or missing cabin air filter allowing debris like leaves and twigs to get into the blower.

The dead front lighter/power port is a blown fuse or bad port as Don has pointed out.

The other electrical issues could be loose connections, blown speakers, and a bad rear wipe/wash switch assembly.

None of the above is insurmountable, but you will have to spend a few bucks, and be willing to accept our advice and guidance as to where you can find the appropriate resources here.

The letters purporting to be from Chevrolet are probably not genuine, but instead they are from third party aftermarket warranty companies. Most likely the dealer where you bought your HHR sold your info to them in hopes of getting your business for repairs and/or a fee from the warranty company for every lead sold to them.

We're more than glad to help any member here, and I'm sorry that your particular HHR has been a problem child.

Last edited by 843de; 12-29-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Edited in response to editing of the original post
Old 12-29-2013, 01:54 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site, I feel guilty, both of mine have been good to me. There are lots of hhr smart owners here I'm sure a lot of those problems can be cleared up.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Humm - now that is a good idea - post how unhappy you are with your vehicle, then state how you are about to commit fraud. Good plan.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Deceased

No need to feel guilty Sam, the great majority of HHR's run like Swiss watches, only needing routine maintenance to stay dependable and trouble free.

With the knowledge base here, and tons of members willing to help, no issue is insurmountable.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sorry you happened upon an HHR used from a dealer that should be more helpful and not so money hungry.
My niece was just quoted $800.00 for ball joints on her '07 Dodge Caliber, I sourced both lower control arms including ball joints and rear bushings for $130.00 new on E-bay, saved her $670.00. so if you're handy and patient we'll guide you thru the repairs.
Cheers
Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Deceased

aboard
sorry for all the issues
Old 12-29-2013, 09:06 AM

We owned ours for 7+ years. The only issues we had that are on your list were that one of the instrument Panel air outlet vanes broke and the shifter interlock problem which was repaired under warranty.

Quick Reply: So Many Problems