Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Upgraded from a Saturn

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Upgraded from a Saturn

Hello folks. Well, I figure this is going to be a long read.

I bought myself a 2007 Saturn Aura on an impulse buy. It was the only affordable hybrid on the lot. I figured I would get great gas mileage. I bought that May 4th for $16,000. Well by May 15th the hybrid part went out. The only mechanic around here that could work on Saturns and hybrids was telling me even though hybrid components were under warranty, that the part that wasn't functioning wasn't under warranty and that I would have to shell out $2,000 to have a new battery installed.

Well I put down $1,300 for the car, and the dealer I bought it from wouldn't take the car back. They had a 50% parts and 50% labor warranty, but they said it only dealt with the drivetrain, NOT the hybrid portion. The mechanic whom I took the Saturn Aura to told me not only did the dealer mess with the hybrid part without knowing what they were doing causing the $2,000 bill, but also they never replaced the back brakes so there was no back brakes on the car. Also when I talked about the air conditioner not putting out cold air, I saw the dealer stick what looked like a screwdriver into the valve, leaking the freon out of the car. The mechanic told me the freon oil and the UV liquid was all over the interior of the engine compartment and on the belt, causing the belt to squeal every so often.

So I had to shell out $2,000 to get the hybrid back on the road. Well after that mess, I decided the smart thing to do was trade the 2007 Saturn Aura in. My $16,000 Saturn turned out to be only worth $9,000 because nobody works on Saturns around here except one guy, and since the Saturn line had been disbanded, it was hard to get parts for. So that was a big blow. I had already become $7,000 negative equity in my loan, and I was out $2,000 trying to fix the hybrid part to make it at the maximum worth of $9,000. And this was just on May 17th.

May 19th I tried to get a loan from the local bank. I had done some car searching. My wife is big on Chevrolets. I was thinking of getting a Chevy Malibu since it was the same body and everything as a Saturn Aura. However, the Chevy HHR caught my eye with it's roominess. It looked nice, like an old Mobster car. Chevy's website also stated what great gas mileage it got. When I got the loan from the bank, they told me about Enterprise whom they did business with, and they had a black 2010 Chevy HHR LS for $14,000 with 20,000 miles on it. So I drove up there to look at the Chevy HHR on May 20th, and even though it didn't have OnStar, power seats, roof rack, XM radio, etc., being the bare bones model, I figured beggars can't be choosers. Here I had $7,000 negative equity and was only approved for $18,000. I've read about negative equity before, and the websites were saying worse case scenario was someone being out $3,000. I was out $7,000. With MAJOR help from Enterprise, they took my 2007 Saturn Aura and wrapped up all the negative equity to where I only have to pay an extra $82 a month from the Saturn Aura payments for the next five years.

I'm still reeling from the dealer who I got the Saturn Aura from since it's been over thirty days and no vehicle tag and no refund of the $795 that they took from me for GAP insurance that I canceled within thirty days. Even OwnerGuard was shocked that they charged me that much. However, I'm enjoying this 2010 Chevy HHR. Anything is an upgrade from my 1996 Ford Crown Victoria. The funny thing about it is that the Saturn Aura's driver instrument console told me that I was averaging 26 miles to the gallon. When the hybrid part went out, it told me I was getting 30 miles to the gallon (And a bad thing to drive too considering that when the hybrid part went out, the electricity from the generator charging the 12 volt battery also went out, a bad design model I think since it meant I was running on 12 volts and when the battery died, the car died). With the Chevy HHR, I'm at 28.9 miles to the gallon according to the DIC, and no need for a hybrid battery to make it have that high a gas mileage.

The added benefit is that I can have a regular mechanic work on the Chevy HHR without needing to know what to do with a hybrid. I also don't have to pay for $2,000 replacement batteries. I like the look and feel of the HHR and when I'm driving down a lonely stretch of highway late at night, I like to envision myself as driving a car like the 1949 Chevy Suburban which I heard the HHR is based off of, without having to pay for obsolete parts, cost of maintenance, and low fuel economy. I just feel like wearing a black suit and tie with fedora whenever I'm behind the wheel of the HHR at night. All that's missing for that feel is the little strip of metal going down the middle of the windshield that I believe the old cars had since they didn't have the whole one piece windshield.

So I'm happy with the Chevy HHR, and had I been given the chance to buy another car without negative equity wrapped up in my loan, I would have bought a not so bare bones HHR model. However, I'm just satisfied that this Chevy HHR can get me around places and that I feel great being in it driving it around.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Sorry to hear about the Saturn issue. You'll love the HHR-even it it isn't loaded. I love my LS and with all the little mods I did to it-I feel like I'm driving a little piece of heaven...

Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Sorry it happened to you

I bought my loaded 2007 2LT with 57k miles for $9000 with no trade-in and no remaining bumper-to-bumper warranty. Out-of-town family picked it up for me without my seeing it first. I took a calculated risk that the car would be basically OK, which luckily it was. However, I had to repair several things left broken from neglect by its prior owner, from whom the car was repossessed! You were in no position to take the risk or make the immediate repairs I did. Your issues are more with affording the monthly payments, and having warranty coverage for otherwise expensive problems. I agree that having lots of options is fun, but if your choices are limited to no options or no reliable wheels, the better choice is obvious! YOU SHOULD BE PROUD THAT YOU DID THE BEST YOU COULD IN A BAD SITUATION and now have a usable car. Check the youtube video 2006 Chevrolet HHR, Walk Around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laJMb48QRBk to see how much usually optional stuff came standard on the HHR to begin with, and then in 2009 they added more airbags and antilock brakes/stability control standard. You can also read on the forums here that as you are able to afford them, useful things that were optional or never even came on the HHR can be added later. Unfortunately, the 2.4 engine isn't practical, but for instance stiffer KYB shocks can mimic the "sporty" FE3 suspension and a rear sway bar helps the handling a lot. Enjoy!

Last edited by Doctuh; 06-05-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:01 PM

you can get one of those wind shield dividers. Seen one on an HHR in Branson. Just peel and stick....
Old 06-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome...
Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 30
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Enjoy your new HHR. I'm sure you will. And enjoy the piece of mind of a real warrantee!

Good luck and many happy miles!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:53 PM

Me too 2004 Saturn IOn QC3 5spd with a ground effects, custom wheels and custom simulated carbon fiber leather seat upgrade. All that stuff was done by the dealer. (to be honest I should have kept the car instead of trading it in)
But I was on the opposite end of the spectrum, I never had one problem with my car for the 5 years I owned it before trading it in besides the ****ty GM rotors. Which I fixed myself the 3rd time with after market units.

Welcome to the HHR Family
Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 PM

My wife had a saturn sl2 from 02 and I have to say probably one of the worst cars. When I heard rumors of Saturn's end, I decided to dump the car and turned it in for another. We ended up $1k upside down on the transfer.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your HHR its definitely a different experience no matter which car you come from. :)
Old 06-12-2010, 05:31 PM

I'm still taking a beating from the Town and Country Select dealership I got the Saturn Aura from. Turns out I didn't have to pay them $400 for the new car tag because according to the DMV I had a tag credit of $400, and the dealership still won't go down to the local Florida DMV office to file the paperwork for the tag. Then the OwnerGuard gap insurance that I paid $795 for, Town and Country Select I don't think ever faxed in the contract cancellation, which would have been fully refunded had it been faxed within 30 days. I faxed it off myself before the 30 days but no word yet on the outcome. Town and Country Select wouldn't even give me the OwnerGuard contract number. So Town and Country Select might be getting that $795 and not refunding it to me.

I enjoyed the Saturn Aura, but the dealership's running around with me and the cost of maintaining a hybrid had me wanting a new car. Town and Country Select told me to look them up on the Better Business Bureau, that they had NO complaints. Well I went on the website that night, and found nine complaints since 2008, five within the last year.

Right now the guys at Enterprise are working around the clock trying to help me get this never received tag transferred from the Saturn Aura to the Chevy HHR. I bought the tag for the Saturn Aura May 4th and all Town and Country Select is giving me is another temporary tag and telling me they're waiting for the DMV to come back with the paperwork when the DMV told me there is no record of Town and Country Select even giving them paperwork on the Saturn Aura.

I'm enjoying the Chevy HHR, and the fact that it does get three more mpg than the hybrid ever did without the need for a rechargeable battery. I also love how it seems to be more roomy for a compact SUV. I just feel sorry for the guys at Enterprise who are now stuck with trying to sell the Saturn Aura knowing they're not getting full value from it.

I'm thinking of getting Major Guard from GM for the HHR. Does anyone suggest this? Does Major Guard take place after the bumper to bumper warranty, or does it take place after the 100,000 mile warranties?

Quick Reply: Upgraded from a Saturn