The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

$2/gallon by Thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:23 PM

I agree with Songman...it's business, not politics. Alot of people are getting rich off us and it's certainly not the politicians. If they really wanted to get on the good sides of the general public, there would be more regulation on this so we weren't seeing such a glaring difference in price from one place to another. It seems like now, the larger the city is that we live in, the more we pay. Who knows where the answer lies...it's just distressing when the price of everything else is so dependent on the price of gas. Everything goes up but our wages.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM

Whats bad is they got us all thinking that 2.15 a gallon is a good deal. When it should only be about .99 a gallon.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 PM

The wonderful joy of paying $3.49/gal here in NorCal is just too much not to share...
Old 09-11-2006, 04:31 PM

The prices do seem to undulate more each season as future traders gain more efficient means to do their jobs. In the computer age traders are working 24/7 and having quick and immediate influence on worldwide markets in a more dramatic way than they did years back.

Also, it really is hard to divide where business ends and politics begins in many matters. Many govt folks take influential jobs in the private sector after their govt stints. They have areas of expertise and are paid to utilize these specialties. It makes sense, but can add to the blurring of the line between politics and business.

Heck to paraphrase the axiom, " War is politics by other means" one could say "Politics is business by other means" these days , and not be to far off.

Still, we will be in better waters if we get fuel efficiency up and create affordable hybrids, etc. Anything to lesson the oil stranglehold is welcome. Long road to go there.......................
I think The HHR would make a great hybrid platform. I'd get one if the maintenance does not outweigh what fuel expenditures would cost in a gas version. I'm less into performance as I get older and more into fuel efficiency. Go figure
Old 09-11-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by m0rie
The wonderful joy of paying $3.49/gal here in NorCal is just too much not to share...
Premium (91), is only $3.05/gallon down here in SoCal Morie!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:16 PM

9/11/06 2.57 ma
Old 09-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Deceased

2.19 at sams today when i drove by
plano, tx
Old 09-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Everyone had good points, in my opinion.

But it still comes down to supply and demand. The U.S. is the largest user of raw product in the world, with the vast majority being imported from other countries.

The U.S. is the largest user of refined gasoline product in the world. With refineries operating at 96-98% capacity (balance is for maintenace shut down, etc.).

The U.S. is at a slight surplus, last I heard, in both areas...probably due to less travel...business and personal. And, maybe more slightly efficient vehicles on the road (large American trucks, SUV's, etc. sales are down).

I do some "futures" trading.....and today, unleaded gas closed at basically, $1.61 for October 6th, add the federal and state taxes to this number, plus delivery and retail dealers nominal profit and you'll have essentially what the gas will sell for in your area (without extraordinary expenses).

By the way, who ever was commenting on the government .....is nearer to the truth than they think. The local and federal governments are the big profit takers when it comes to gasoline. Think of this......with little or no investment, they get 51 cents for every gallon sold in Arizona. Wish I had a business like that.

I noticed today top-tier unleaded regular selling for $2.43.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by trey1966
Not a chance...
at least not here in San Diego!!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:01 PM

The Bush family should do very well buying Christmas presents with their oil profits this year.

Quick Reply: $2/gallon by Thanksgiving