The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

It Was 10 Years Ago This Month.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Deceased

I had vaguely remembered something about the scrambling to fold Pontiac into the Truck & Bus Division(dated myself there), but that the continued per unit losses on the "Tin Indians" made the situation impractical.

And you're so right about Chinese sales bolstering Buick. The Buick brand has been considered a "Premium Mark" since the days of Chiang Kai-shek and his predecessor Sun Yat-sen.

Even with Mao's Cultural Revolution, the Chinese cultural memory made for a prime market after Mao's death and the opening of free trade.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:39 AM

RIP Oldsmobile. I had an Intrigue that I bought new in 1998, and I just loved that car. It was my first (and only) "grown-up car" purchase... The van and SUV since were not mine after all.

Olds definitely was getting their act together but GM had too many overlapping cars to have made it work. If they could have shrunken Buick, Pontiac, and Olds down to a couple of vehicles each, that might have worked, but the dealers would have flipped their lids.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 AM

In reality, GM consists of Chevrolet and Cadillac since the powertrains became 'corporate'.
'
I'm doing a little 'what if' project of my own.... 'what if' Pontiac wanted to enter the van market in the 60's instead of the late 80's.....

I'm putting a Pontiac OHC 6

Name:  CAM00884_zps7a2c78b4.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  337.8 KB

Into this

Name:  CAM01217_zps5d25e40e.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  174.6 KB

with a few Pontiac cues here and there...
Old 04-18-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
That decade went fast, and even down here in "The Land That Rust Forgot", you just don't see many Oldsmobiles on the road.

Well except the old A-Body Cutlass Ciera's, those never die, and their owners all seem to be north of 80 years old.

Maybe they know something we don't. Drive a Cutlass Ciera, never exceed 30mph, and live forever.

And why are they always white?
That it did Mike and really? I still see quite a few Oldsmobile's on the road. Mostly Alero's or Intrigue's and the occasional 88, but surprisingly very few Cutlass Ciera's lol. Just goes to show you the differences on the road based on where you live.

Originally Posted by 843de
With GM and Ford both closing their Australian factories by 2016, Holden will become rebadged American and Korean assembled Chevrolets.

Ford will begin exporting various American assembled models to Australia, both companies say it makes sense economically. The Australians are furious, and despondent.

The Chevrolet SS and Caprice PPV will eventually be killed off, and despite teases over the last twenty years, no "Utes" will come here either as El Camino's of Ranchero's(For the Ford fans).

Detroit and Dearborn have decided to turn Australia over to Toyota, Mazda, and Honda.
Actually Toyota announced that it was pulling out of Australia too and closing its factories in the country by 2017.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-1...ources/5250114

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
RIP Oldsmobile. I had an Intrigue that I bought new in 1998, and I just loved that car. It was my first (and only) "grown-up car" purchase... The van and SUV since were not mine after all.

Olds definitely was getting their act together but GM had too many overlapping cars to have made it work. If they could have shrunken Buick, Pontiac, and Olds down to a couple of vehicles each, that might have worked, but the dealers would have flipped their lids.
Yeah my first 2 cars were both Oldsmobile's. I had a 2001 Alero that my parents gave me as my first car and a 1999 Intrigue that was my second car and my first car that I purchased myself. Both were great cars too. The Alero had over 200k miles when I sold it and the Intrigue had over 150k miles when I traded it in for the HHR. The Intrigue did start to have little quirks though mostly from stuff that the previous owner had messed with and didn't know what he was doing.

I agree Olds was definitely getting its act together when GM pulled the plug. It's just a shame that GM couldn't make it work. Had they stayed in business we would've seen the OSV cars make it to production, possibly an Alero convertible, and who knows what a new Oldsmobile would of looked like today, but based on where the brand was heading it looked promising. That's for sure. It was an automaker that had its life end way to soon.