The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

5 Myths about Stick Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 AM

5 Myths about Stick Shifts

Thought this was an interesting article about some of the myths people have about stick shifts.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...762694&msite=w
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 AM

They left off the most important one.

I like a stick shift because I prefer to drive one over a slushbox......
Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 AM

Well I think the other one they left off is that
on the big dollar cars ferraris etc. they usually put the paddle shift autos on the steering wheels since you really do need both hands on the steering wheel while going around corners.
Imagine a formula one car shifting. with one hand on the wheel.
I do remember back with the early muscle cars before the autos where perfected that a standard would always beet the auto now its a whole new ball game with the new auto converter technology

I do enjoy driving my 55 chevy with the 327 and muncie rock crusher close ratio 4 speed
but I would not even think of running a stick in my drag/street car.
but everyone is different.
One thing is for sure in drag racing once you get down to low 11's and below not to many standard transmission cars out there
then again a local guy I know just went into the 8's with a naturally aspirated small block ford in his mustang with a stick ,very fun to watch that car go.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 AM

No one can out shift an auto with today's electronic and pressure controled tranny's. Boy how times have changed though. My 70 olds cutlass has the his/hers (dual gate) gear shifter which used to be the stuff back in the day. I loved running through gears and chirping the tires with that thing....of course now it won't because I broke it and parked it years ago.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Auto for me!

When I was young, I wouldn't be caught dead with an Auto-trans car. I loved shifting & banging gears, chirping 2nd, etc. I grew up in the era of GTO's, Camaros, El Camino's, etc. If any of these muscle cars had an Automatic transmission it was looked on as a weakness ("everything about that car is cool except it's got an auto" ). Nowadays I prefer the ease of driving a AT. Put it in gear, mash the pedal & go! Especially in heavy slow-moving traffic!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM

I drive a manual because I prefer to control my vehicle's powerband, loft gears for better economy, downshift, and have less expensive repair costs when it comes time to service it.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM

I won't drive anything else. My grandpa said I'd convert to auto when I got married, but my wife drives stick just fine. 20 years since I got my first car, all have been stick.

Jim
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM

i like manual trans because it keeps the wife from driving it,

i took my driver's test in a standard trans, and passed with a 98, she deducted 2 points for "not adjusting the temp to hot for the defroster".....whatever

my son and I are building a S-10 for him, it's a MT, can't wait to drive it
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM

A 1979 280 ZX 5 spd , and this SS , Have been my only mauals.
I would have to say , They are the 2 most exciting cars i have owned. That Datsun flew once you got going ! 140 MPH no problem, Got scared about then and shut her down , A lot left with that Fairlady.

With a turbo it's nice to control the revs, For jeting around town.
My next car will be an auto , Hopefully with paddle shifters .
Chicago traffic is such a buzz kill with a manual.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 PM

A dual clutch 7 speed may be faster, but it's still not as engaging as having to use both feet and both hands.

Quick Reply: 5 Myths about Stick Shifts