The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

9mm vs .40cal

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 PM

The 9mm vs 40 has debate since the .40 was introduced. Everyone seems to love/hate one caliber over the other. I have carry guns in both calibers, however i choose to carry the 40, a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 Compact. 10+1, its easily concealed and should the need arise that i have to use it, im confident that 1 magazine will do the trick.

My father, however, swears by his 9mm's, less recoil = faster target re-aquisition between shots, cheaper ammo, etc etc.

On the other hand, I also carry a Ruger SR22 pistol occasionally. Its small, extremely reliable, and small enough i can carry a second magazine in my pocket without discomfort. I carry two different rounds in each magazine, CCI hollowpoints in one and CCI shotshells in the other. The shotshells are great for snakes, larger spiders, ground squirrels, etc, but you have to manually work the action after each shot since the plastic cover over the shot doesn't seal the barrel and create enough pressure to work the action. Its a great round for mushroom hunting and fishing. After buying my SR22, my dad and cousin immediately bought one after shooting mine.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
Thanks for this. Yours is a better answer than Chev mngr's, but I mean no offense to him.....Its just so foreign to me that the average citizen in the us feels they need to carry a gun.
It couldn't be more different here just a few miles north of the border...
The only time I feel the need to carry a firearm, is when visiting my parents ranch, and going up into the back 40'.....bears, cougars etc. In the city.....no way.
Its one of the biggest differences between Canada and the US.....prob the biggest, not counting the population difference that is.....lol
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that the average citizen feels a need to carry in the US. Certainly, a majority believe they have the right to bear personal arms in some capacity. Personally, I haven't fired a shot since my teen years. But, every time I hear some guy in a suit talk about more restrictive gun laws, my blood boils, and I remind myself that I really need to go get some firearms training again. Of course, laws regarding ownership vary from state to state and are far more restrictive here in New York than down in Georgia or Texas.

Keep in mind too, that the cultural difference between our nations on this matter goes back a long way. Our paths to nationhood and independence were far different. The founders of this nation believed, almost to a man, that if the government had all the guns, their liberty would always be in danger. When the militia at Lexington & Concord first fired the "shot heard 'round the world" it wasn't directly over a tax on tea or stamps. They stood their ground because the British were coming for their guns.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 AM

I have been thinking on getting another weapon too. I love my wesson 357 but have been thinking on a 9mm or 380, want to get one soon, may not be able to get one next year.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by papa jim
I have been thinking on getting another weapon too. I love my wesson 357 but have been thinking on a 9mm or 380, want to get one soon, may not be able to get one next year.
If you are going to look at 380's then look at the Bersa Thunder 380 CC model. It is a nice compact J-body. It is shorter, narrower and yet somehow still holds more rounds then the full size Thunder 380. You can carry it in your pocket if you want and still be comfortable.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Police carry semi-auto handguns because they may need more then 5 or six shots. For personal protection where MOST cases only involve 1 or 2 shots consider the .375 “Snub Nose revolver. They are 5-shot and have superior man stopping power over a 9mm or .40 and anything else anywhere near it size and are very concealable
Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Back in the early 70s, in California, I had a 357. The first time I shot it, I thought I broke my thumb as I wasn't expecting such a recoil. I came back to NY and with all the rules and regulations in NY, I sold it to a cop, who had a part time busimess. It has gotten more unsafe in the decades after that and I think about getting some weapon for home protection. But the neighborhood has a cop living across the street and is a quiet place.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Well, made the decision and a purchase today. Glock 27 Gen 4. .40 cal. Came with a nice case, 3 mags, case lock, rear grip extenders, cleaning rod/brush. Before a shell goes in it, I'll take it apart and ensure I understand every aspect of it. This will be my carry weapon when I feel the need. The 4" 7 shot stainless .357 will still carry the nighstand duty. My trusty ole Titan .380 will be unloaded and kept in my gun case. My only complaint is the slide release, it's tight, but seems to be common with new Glocks.

Thanks for everyones
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
Thanks for this. Yours is a better answer than Chev mngr's, but I mean no offense to him.....Its just so foreign to me that the average citizen in the us feels they need to carry a gun.
It couldn't be more different here just a few miles north of the border...
The only time I feel the need to carry a firearm, is when visiting my parents ranch, and going up into the back 40'.....bears, cougars etc. In the city.....no way.
Its one of the biggest differences between Canada and the US.....prob the biggest, not counting the population difference that is.....lol
It's not like it seems, I do not know anybody personally that says they carry. IMO that is supposed to be the point. Only online do you see people bragging about it.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Went over the Glock today. Got to be one of the easiest auto to take apart. So much easier than my Titan. Here's a little family "shot" taken with my phone. As you can see, the Titan is easily mistaken as a Beretta.

Name:  guns.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  47.4 KB
Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by RobPerdue
... After buying my SR22, my dad and cousin immediately bought one after shooting mine.

On a recent trip had intentions of coming home with a S&W M&P 22 on sale. Once I actually held the clunker, for me it was a nobrainer to purchase the SR22 for significantly more instead. This from one who held the MK III in contempt whenever it came time to clean. Was assured contrary to common rumor, both it and my Walther P22 would willing cycle bulk ammo once broken in. Was I bamboozled?