The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Anyone doing a 2nd career?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM

I very well may chase my dream (as a second career). I'm approaching the 20 yr mark in my current job and will be eligible for retirement and 50% pension December 2008. Here's the dream: retire @ 50% and start training to fly commerically as a pilot for one of the small island hopper airlines in the Carribean or Florida region. I have my private pilot license already, albeit I haven't flown in a few years and will need refresher training and some dual time to get frosty again. Then I'll need to get my Commercial rating, Instrument, and Multi Engine rating (CIME in pilot-speak). After that you need to build hours before you're hireable by airlines. None of this comes cheap: you can easily sink $30,000 into just getting your CIME, depending on how you go about it.

I'll be 45 when I retire w/ 20 from my current career, BUT (a big but...) I can't start drawing pension checks until age 52. Seven year dry run. My wife however earns a decent wage in a pretty portable profession, and as it so happens Florida tends to pay people in her line of work better than other states (she's an ABO certified/licensed Optician and it has to do with state licensing req's). Because she would need to be the bread winner while I'm going through about 6 months of airline academy training.

First Officers (co-pilots) which is how you start out, don't make jack in wages for at least a couple years, captains do better but flying the smaller twin turbo prop commuters you just don't make the best bucks. In my case, though some financial relief would arrive @ age 52 when the pension begins. By then I would hope to be in the left seat (capt).

No desire to move into large jets. Want to fly the little 18 - 30 passenger turbo-prop jobs... more fun. Theoretically, should work out because the commuter/hopper airlines are full of young pilots just itching to move up in the airline pecking order into regional jets, with their sights ultimately set on flying big metal for the majors (AA, United etc) which is where the real money is at in airline flying. And as such there is a lot of air crew turnover in the small air link/connection airlines.

I still like my current job, no particular hurry to leave, but this would be chasing a life-long dream. I would be stepping out a big comfort zone, for sure.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM

That sounds like a great dream to pursue LR!

Go for it! Only live once!

Goose
Old 10-25-2007, 09:33 PM

The Beech 1900D is what I want to fly. Half bush plane half passenger plane, LOL.

Don't try this in a jetliner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbzwqIxt1q8

That's an 18 passenger "commuter" plane they're flying...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 PM

Go for it, you only pass thru this way once. I did, after 27yrs. at Eastman Kodak Co.,they didn't want me working on computers any more. I said Thank U and started my own Computer repair shop now for 15yrs. and 19yrs. doing a radio show about computers. I'm doing what I love to do and don't regret leaving my old job at all. ENJOY what you want to do...!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Thanks for sharing your dreams. Yes, I have a second career (?) It’s funny how easy it is to give someone else advice but how difficult it is to look objectively at our own circumstances. I know from experience. I would like to give my thoughts but first a little background, I owned and operated a NAPA Auto Parts franchise for 22 years and sold it about 10 years ago, then did all kinds of jobs, mostly on commission and did OK but missed being my own boss. Five years ago I opened a Used Book Store part time in a mostly tourist area and love it. Very little stress. I am 63 now.

The problem that I see with you situation is that;
1. You want to do what is your passion, which is great, unfortunately I have seen people turn their love of something into a job and the passion leaves.

2. The seven years without income will be very stressful and take the fun out of it quickly.

You can do it of course; you can do anything if you want to enough, but at what price? (Relationship / emotionally).

One option would be to stay employed at a reduced work schedule (if possible) and work towards your Commercial Rating while earning some income, then go for it.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 PM

I would say look into it, but like Old Ray said, sometimes your hobby or passion of something when turned into a job can become lost. But overall, I would say go for it.

Oh, by the way Lone Ranger, checked your profile, I see you have an Interest in Sombo, Back in '93 I got my BB in Combat Sombo. Had to quite tho, disability took over. Loved the moves.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Valid points all. It wouldn't be no income for the seven yrs from 45 - 52, but it would be reduced from what current household income is. That's what I'm balancing on the old decision scales right now. Definite sacrifice for a few years. I'm trying to look past the short term and at the long term. In 10 years do I still want to be a cop working in the same city (@ 300 member dept.) vs. where can I be if I capture this dream. An experienced Beech 1900 pilot can find work in some very cool locations, both in the USA and abroad. Wife says she's up for it, but she would follow me through anything and not complain-- I'm so lucky to have her, I keep explaining the pilot lifestyle to her, at least the [airline] low seniority years where you're overnighted, reserved, and routed all over and almost always away from home.

Very valid point about turning hobby into profession risks cooling off the passion for it. No way to know until you do it, I think.

I'm actually slotted for promotion in a month and just moved to the unit I will be supervising, to learn the ropes from the current unit commander and the learn the jobs of the people in the unit. Prior to the transfer I worked economic crimes (detective) for seven years, before that street crimes detective for six years, before that, patrol division six years. My bachelor's is in criminal justice and I've enjoyed all of it for the most part. I've always called policework a "front row seat in the game of life." But having said that, I see a trend where guys and gals stay too long and get cynical and jaded. I'm not there and don't want to end up there, either.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 AM

hey Lone ranger,I'm in the same position,been in the phone co. for 34 years & plan on leaving next year,getting burnt out. But i'm 54 & cant retire completely,plan on moving out of Jersey {too expensive to retire in}& start again,it's a stressful decision. but if i don't leave I know I will regret it..Good luck
Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by n.j.hhr
hey Lone ranger,I'm in the same position,been in the phone co. for 34 years & plan on leaving next year,getting burnt out. But i'm 54 & cant retire completely,plan on moving out of Jersey {too expensive to retire in}& start again,it's a stressful decision. but if i don't leave I know I will regret it..Good luck
Wow.. It took you 34 years to get burnt out?!?

I've been a mechanical drafter for only a year now, and it has become more work whereas before I actually enjoyed it.

As for the 2nd Career, I'd say do some precautionary planning and preparations and go for it. You only got one life, as it has been said already, to do what you love, so my recommendation is to not waste it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM

you are right,you cant waste your life,,I use to enjoy my job,just like most companies they do cutbacks & make it tougher to go to work everyday.but you have to hang in to get a decent pension..I'm ready to jump ship finally