The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Anyone doing a 2nd career?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by n.j.hhr
you are right,you cant waste your life,,I use to enjoy my job,just like most companies they do cutbacks & make it tougher to go to work everyday.but you have to hang in to get a decent pension..I'm ready to jump ship finally
I thought the phone co pension would be pretty good by 34 yrs. Ours starts at 50% for 20 yrs, increases 2% per year and maxes 74% @ 32 yrs. Its based off a senior patrol officer's 20 yr full salary. That's one thing I don't like about it-- no pension reward for promotion to supervisory or command rank. A deputy chief gets the same pension as a career patrol officer. In some ways though, maybe that's fair.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:37 PM

no...the pension is only about 40% of base salary,the only good thing is you could take a lump sum when you leave,I was waiting for my wife who has 28 years,but I'm going to leave first,& she'll leave as soon as she gets 30
Old 10-26-2007, 03:52 PM

You need to talk to some retired military. They go into second careers at your age all the time.

I started my second career at age 32. I had work 10 years for insurance companies, the last 6 as an underwriter. I quit to join my military husband moving all around the world. My second career was in Air Force civil service. It's has great benefits but I, too, am looking to move on. Most of my retirement is in a 401K so I can take that with me. I just don't know if I can give up 26 days vacation and 11 holidays a year in exchange for new challenges and more pay!

You have a tough decision to make. Whatever you do, make sure your wife agrees 100%.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I just don't know if I can give up 26 days vacation and 11 holidays a year in exchange for new challenges and more pay!
That's the dilemma I have as well. I've been at the same place for so long I get 5 weeks vacation plus stat holidays. It's hard to walk away from a benefit like that which would take many years to get back.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM

That's my situation too... I have 6 weeks off a yr now, when I hit 20 yrs it will go to seven weeks. Wife only gets two weeks. So the bulk of my time off is spent piddling around.

I had a very informative chat this afternoon with the VP of the FBO where I trained (flight school and charter operation, etc). I scheduled a Biennial Flight Review to get my basic VFR ticket (basic private pilot license) current again, but it will probably take about 5 - 6 hrs to get frosty again. I haven't flown in five years. He confirmed that there is a pilot hiring boom going on in the airlines right now, actually everywhere... charter, corporate, fractionals, etc., called it a pilot's market. Whether it still will be in a couple years when I'm retired and have enough flight time logged to qualify for hire is another question.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Lone Ranger. I am not in your shoes but will offer maybe one more alternative to the , what seems like two, that have been offered. I am a CI and have held AGI, 135 and CFI tickets also. I did commercial aviation and flight instruction for a little over a year so I do have somewhat of a background in aviation On to the point. Getting the certifications you will need is not going to be cheap so you may want to consider this, Hold on to your job until you have gotten certified in all the areas needed then retire and go for it.. Just thought I would suggest it as I did not see that suggested. Either way hope it works out well for you..

Julian
Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 PM

I agree the vacation time (6 weeks) is hard to give up,but giving up the stress & moving to a new area & doing something new & getting out of that same old routine is worth taking the risk { I hope}