The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Anyone here ever retap a bracket etc where the threads have been stripped?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Anyone here ever retap a bracket etc where the threads have been stripped?

Bought a Mustang motorcycle seat today for real short money...300 dollar seat for 100 bucks..thing looks mint but I digress

Went to install it today and found that one of the threads is stripped Well it was partially working until I decided to get all crazy with it and used a ratchet thinking I could just force it on...bad idea

So now I have a totally stripped bracket...some guys on another forum suggested bringing it to a mechanic or a machine shop and having them rethread it using a tap...

This concept is foreign to me...they say easy job...I take a look at it and say yah right! I look and see a messed up hole where threads used to be and now that hole is a bit larger from me playing superman with the ratchet. Not sure how after they retap it the same size bolt can be used?

Anyone familiar with this process?

Goose
Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 PM

If the bracket is thick enough, it could be re-tapped to the next size. May be a thin bracket with a nut welded on. There is also a fix-it called a helicoil. Looks like a mini coil spring...kinda depends on the bracket how you go about fixing it. If the same size bolt is required, can the seat be easily disassembled?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM

So I have to assume this is a mount for the seat.

There are fixits called thread inserts (Heli-Coil, Etc.) that come in kit form. Basically, you need to now the thread size. 10mm, etc and the thread pitch. If you have the bolt, a parts store can assist here. Then using the designated drill size, you drill the stripped portion out, use the supplied special tap,then install the thread insert. It will restore the hole back to the original size. Perhaps you can post a pic of what you are trying to fix.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 PM

You need to use a helicoil repair. You drill it out and tap it for a helicoil thread insert. This is pretty easy if you have any mechanical aptitude (ask a mechanically inclined friend otherwise) here is an example on eBay, for a specific thread. Take one of the fasteners in to a good hardware store and explain what you want to do. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Perma-Coil-1...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Here are some pics...it looks like there is an insert in there already??

Name:  IMG_0062.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0063.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  17.3 KB

Goose
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM

That is a crimped in nut. It could be knocked out and replaced, or a nut welded in place of it.

I've used JB weld, fill it in, drill and tap, but not for something load bearing.

btw, I rebuild industrial equipment for a living, I do this sort of thing all day.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 PM

I thought it was an insert..so Mongo...easy fix? Who would you recommend I bring it to? (machine shop, motorcycle dealer etc?)

Thanks

Goose
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 AM

Called Mustang this morning and they are going to send me out a new bracket at no cost. I just need to pop rivet the new one on.

That says a lot about that company even though I bought the seat 2nd hand.......

I think I will be doing a lot more business with them

Goose
Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 PM

An honest company supports their products. That bracket likely cost them a buck, but they now have a loyal customer.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Goose
Called Mustang this morning and they are going to send me out a new bracket at no cost. I just need to pop rivet the new one on.

That says a lot about that company even though I bought the seat 2nd hand.......

I think I will be doing a lot more business with them Goose
See, it worked, all they wanted to do is make you a loyal customer. I love these stories.