The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Anyone here an MCP or A+ Certified PC Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Anyone here an MCP or A+ Certified PC Tech?

I'm both from over 10 years ago.
I plan to get recertified in A+ and am thinking about MC Desktop Support Tech.
I am certified in NT4.0 Workstation. That's usefull

Anyone know when they plan to roll XP off as a dead system?

They used to axe them when 2 newer systems had certs.
So my NT4 was dead when Win2000 came out.

I'm not a member at any tech forums and don't know where to ask so just wondering if there are any IT guys/gals here that know the 411.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 AM

What the hell?
No IT professionals in here?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:02 PM

I got my A+ in 2004, and took the MCP courses for XP. Not really current though. My career path took me completely elsewhere (horticulture, heh).

XP should be supported for some time still although I believe retail sales have already stopped. If you're looking for OS certification, I'd go for Windows 7, or perhaps XP and 7. Businesses won't drop XP Pro for at least 8-10 more years. Vista is a dead end in soo many ways.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Oh, and the A+ doesn't expire, does it? I don't think taking the test again will get you anything. The hardware hasn't changed all that much. You'd be better off getting the Network+ cert. to compliment it, especially as a support tech.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wxman
I got my A+ in 2004, and took the MCP courses for XP. Not really current though.
My career path took me completely elsewhere (horticulture, heh).
XP should be supported for some time still although I believe retail sales have already stopped. If you're looking for OS certification, I'd go for Windows 7, or perhaps XP and 7. Businesses won't drop XP Pro for at least 8-10 more years. Vista is a dead end in soo many ways.
I've been inundated with Vista's bad reviews and I haven't even been looking.
I can imagine how bad it must look to administrators.
I'll consider 7 after it's been out for a year or two.
Right now I'm looking at MCDST. It's XP based.
I did desktop support on 98 & 2000 and really enjoyed diving under hot secretaries' desks to make their day

I think hardware has changed enough to warrant getting recertified in A+
I haven't been deep in a puter's guts since 2000 was fairly new.
A terabyte harddrive was a sarcastic joke and now it's a reality.
I'll start on Net+ after I re-do my A+ to segue back to puters again from carpentry .

Part of certs to me is to prove that I know what I'm doing and if I'm riding on certs I got 10 years ago well...

I'm relieved that you're so confident in XP.
I just upgraded to it (from 2000) a couple of weeks ago and I'm seriously impressed.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
I've been inundated with Vista's bad reviews and I haven't even been looking.
I can imagine how bad it must look to administrators.
I'll consider 7 after it's been out for a year or two.
Right now I'm looking at MCDST. It's XP based.
I did desktop support on 98 & 2000 and really enjoyed diving under hot secretaries' desks to make their day

I think hardware has changed enough to warrant getting recertified in A+
I haven't been deep in a puter's guts since 2000 was fairly new.
A terabyte harddrive was a sarcastic joke and now it's a reality.
I'll start on Net+ after I re-do my A+ to segue back to puters again from carpentry .

Part of certs to me is to prove that I know what I'm doing and if I'm riding on certs I got 10 years ago well...

I'm relieved that you're so confident in XP.
I just upgraded to it (from 2000) a couple of weeks ago and I'm seriously impressed.
The Network + Cert was changed this year and if I am not mistaken the A+ is suppose to change shortly as well. I was unemployed the middle of this year and most businesses want CURRENT or ACTIVE Certs. If CompTia hadn't just changed the whole certification then I would say an older one was still okay...but with the recent changes companies won't let the old one be enough for long.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stryker
The Network + Cert was changed this year and if I am not mistaken the A+ is suppose to change shortly as well. I was unemployed the middle of this year and most businesses want CURRENT or ACTIVE Certs. If CompTia hadn't just changed the whole certification then I would say an older one was still okay...but with the recent changes companies won't let the old one be enough for long.
I don't believe that companies will require someone with a 1 or 2 year out-of-date cert to go update it.
Either you know it or you don't.
I got mine when P3 was all the rage and you could only afford DDR on video cards.
I can build nice furniture and roof a house but don't know the diff between DDR & DDR2 and 1M other new things a tech should know
Old 10-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Any new OS like windows 7 wont be too different from XP, and I wouldnt worry about recertifying. Do you have a job now that is requiring you to get it?
You should just read up on some windows support forums, you will find a lot of useful information and what problems are most common.
I still support several customers running dos-based apps. XP wont just dissappear.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Do you have a job now that is requiring you to get it?
You should just read up on some windows support forums, you will find a lot of useful information and what problems are most common.
XP wont just dissappear.
Been woodworking for myself but IT is easier and more lucrative.

I want to get recertified.
Back in the day it got me interviews that i wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

People used to say NT4 isn't going anywhere...
I actually believe it about XP.
Most everyone must finally be sick of "upgrading" to the newest, shiniest POS OS when they have a stable, working OS.