The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Anyone here work in photography? (wedding shots, family portraits, general hobby)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Anyone here work in photography? (wedding shots, family portraits, general hobby)

I'm looking into getting a camera for purposes such as: Wedding photography, Family portraits, Pet photos, and HD video use.

Those are the biggest purposes. I want to work towards a hobby that can eventually pay out ( I'm going through friends and family to practice photography once camera is acquired.)

I am working with photoshop and have been over the year.

I'm curious about persons preference in SLR choice or if they have other preferences and why?

Anyone have the same use? wedding, family portraits, and using it for video?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Banned

I know Canon Rebel I think it's Ti's are good. As are Nikons. Haven't researched them much but have used and know people who own Rebels and they love them.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Rest In Peace

Just a hobby I suck at.

Lots to Learn and I don't take the Time to do so.

I like the Nikon DSLRs.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 PM

Nikon d3100 is a good starter camera....priced right...the next step up is quite a jump in price ..most the D series cameras are good..
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 PM

Any of the bigger names will do you a good job. I'd choose Canon or Nikon mostly for accessory and parts availability, but I understand the Pentax models are quite good too.
My primary camera is a Canon 60D, and I love the danged thing. The price was quite reasonable through the company's loyalty trade-in discount (hint: get a cheap 35mm point/shoot Canon at the flea mall and send it in), and I kept my Rebel XSi as a spare body.

You can do nice work, and even get paid well for it, even with the more entry-level bodies. The photographer has a lot more to do with image quality than the hardware. Heck, some folks have made a bit of money with cellphone pics.

If you're looking for a package deal, these cameras come with a usable kit lens, but by the time you go pro, you'll be looking for more expensive glass. If you're wanting to stretch your purchase a bit, the higher end kits generally come with a better lens than the entry level cams. My Rebel came with a fairly cheap, but still decent, 18-55 lens. I keep it on that camera still, as it rides on the passenger seat, ready for quick shots.
The 60D came with a very nice 18-135 IS lens that will produce photos sharper than I'm capable of appreciating at my current level.

They're loads of fun, too, but sometimes I do like to take out some of my older film cameras just for the halibut. Gotta shoot B&W, though, as the local color film developers are dropping like flies.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Rest In Peace

I have NO clue about this web site, but they have the Nikon D3100 on sale at $389.00.
Anyone Know if this website is Legit, and that the camera is a made for the US Market for Nikon Warranty?

Found a bad review on them, for an Xbox, buyer said they took his info, then claimed that microsoft was out of XBoxes. Gave his money back, but now has all his info.

http://elecstore.org/nikon-cameras/powershot-sx120-is/

Amazon has it at $549.00, still a good price.

I Reported the Lower price to Amazon, IF they Match it, I'll JUMP on one.

My Nikon D50 works Perfect, but I have had it since they came out, Hope Amazon Matches that $389.00 price, I'll buy one from Amazon if they do.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 AM

If you know someone with a bunch of lenses or flashes they might lend you, get the same type, probably nikon or canon. Right now there are good deals on canon T3i or nikon 5100, either would make a good starter camera.
Since you want to do portraits, also get the fixed 50mm lens, not too expensive and gives decent low light performance and bokeh (blurred background).
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by prod
If you know someone with a bunch of lenses or flashes they might lend you, get the same type, probably nikon or canon. Right now there are good deals on canon T3i or nikon 5100, either would make a good starter camera.
Since you want to do portraits, also get the fixed 50mm lens, not too expensive and gives decent low light performance and bokeh (blurred background).
I'll agree with this. The camera body will end up being a fairly minor cost in the long run. The ability to borrow, or even rent, lenses will go a long way toward maintaining flexibility while saving up for the high-end glass.
The relatively inexpensive sub 2.0 lenses are pretty nice, especially when some of 'em are going for a little over a hundred bucks. I have a "knockaround" 50/1.8 that I really do love, especially on the Rebel, as it makes such a lightweight, compact rig... it's a natural for a 'grab-n-go' camera.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM

I have worked as a professional photogapher and have been involved in the ownership. I settled on a Cannon 30D, this was a few years ago. I am now retired from that business though I still keep up with it some.I would recomend something heaver than a
rebel body as they are lighter built. I would also recomend the IS (Image Stabilazition) lenses, they cost more but they allow more effective shooting in lower light. The other thing to consider is flashes. For weddings I have used Metz 45 flashes, they have a higher guide number and are warmer than most flashes. For portrait work there are several lighting sources, I chose Novatron. I hope this helps
Ron
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM

I'll second getting a higher end cam for pro use. My Rebel still works great, though, so it gets to ride along in the car when I'm not really on a photo outing... besides, it's so light and handy with a short lens that it's still fun to use.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hold up to rigorous use, though.

Quick Reply: Anyone here work in photography? (wedding shots, family portraits, general hobby)