The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Anyone here work in photography? (wedding shots, family portraits, general hobby)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 AM

I just upgraded to an Sony α77 from an A300 and an A350 (I still have).
With a full-time job, I'm (almost) exclusively hobby now. I still get published every once in a while.

I update my flickr page often.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 AM

I'm not a pro photographer at all but I used to take a lot of photos at weddings and other gatherings.

I have a Pentex K-1000 35mm SLR and an amazingly cheap Kmart focal flash unit that have worked out nicely for me over the years.

When I would shoot video for folks I used a big JVC VHS camcorder that I would sometimes put on a tripod. I'd send someone out in the crowd with a cheap Mr. Microphone and use a small stereo radio {set to mono} to feed sound into an ear bud and the camera at the same time. The headset used to have two ear buds but I cut one off and put a 1/8th” mono headphone plug in so I could plug it into the camcorder.

Since my camcorder only records audio in mono anyway this worked out great. I could hear my roving reporter with the ear bud and usually was able to follow with the camera from across the room.

I know the newer camcorders record direct to a hard drive or a flash card and have stereo ability but hey, this was cutting edge until lately. Few professional photographers use film cameras anymore either. Everything is digital these days. I have to admit that it is nice to be able to print your pictures with your computer at home.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 AM

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/8glUc0...tin-Schoeller/

I would guess that the photographer that did these would have an amount of money and tools at their disposable far behind what i'm capable of but I love the look of these. Whether they edited through a program and/or had a lot of the camera and lens do the work, I love these and would go for their looks. Certain ones over others but It's a good reference for what I would want.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM

I missed my old stolen K1000 enough that I jumped on one as soon as it showed up cheap on eBay... works great, too! While most of the normal venues for color development have started to dry up locally, you can still mail 'em in, and I have the gear to develop B&W.

There's still nothing quite like a super-sharp film photo, and I do like the process, especially with my medium format cameras.

Still do most of my shooting on the digis, though.

There's still a community of analog photograhers out there, though. Enough, probably, to maintain film as a cottage industry, at least. Check out apug.org