The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Autozone $10 off Mobil 1 synthetic 5 qts

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM

I've been running M1 in my '06 HHR since new. No isuues with it and it seems to last the DIC said 15% oil life after 11,000 miles before the last oil change.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stephenm
I called my local autozone and the 5+ jug was $36.99 before the coupon
That's where they git ya.....(Joe Pesci)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Well I just got back from the closest wallymart.

And they Refused it. NOT because of the 5 or 5.1 thing, but because it was a 1) PRINTED coupon, and
2) was not a direct manufactuters coupon WITHOUT "Auto Zone" on it.

WTF? Typical wallmart BS CRAP!

No wonder I Don't ever like going there and just would rather pay more Elsewhere.

How much does Auto Zone sell the Mobile 1 for in the 5.1?
That's what I figured would happen. What I'm curious about is why anyone would think this would work. Obviously, Auto Zone has some kind of a deal with Mobil 1 on these coupons. Wal Mart doesn't. Why would anyone expect Wal Mart take these coupons if they have no agreement with Mobil 1 to get their 10 bucks back? Best deal on Mobil 1 is when Costco has the coupon out for $9 off a case of 6. It ends up costing less for 6 qts. than the 5 (or 5.1) qt. jug does at Wal Mart.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM

I stopped at my nearby Auto Zone and 5-30 M1 was $37.99 for a 5 quart jug. Wal-Mart has the 5 qt jug for $24.99 so the $10 coupon still doesn't get the price down to a standard Wal-Mart price. I figured that with the Auto Zone only on the coupon it wouldn't work at Wal-Mart. The old Gotcha trick, making you think you are getting a deal.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Wal Mart accepted the coupon from me. The computer didn't but the manager did an override. 5 quarts for $15!!! I'm going back today to try again.

JIm
Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jeda13
Wal Mart accepted the coupon from me. The computer didn't but the manager did an override. 5 quarts for $15!!! I'm going back today to try again.

JIm
Well, I'm going to try it but it just doesn't make sense from a logistics point of view for Wal Mart. I'll report back.......
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Okay, I just got back from the local Wal Mart here in San Bernardino. They said no. I spoke to the service manager and he said it had nothing to do with it being a printed coupon but the fact that it says 'Coupon valid at Autozone stores only' on the coupon. It's really hard to argue with that logic. If a Wal Mart does honor the coupon, they are actually mistaken in doing so because they have no way to recoup the 10 bucks from Mobil, as I stated in an earlier post.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM

All my engines run synthetic too, including the flat tappet engine.

Mobil is currently having a problem with their synthetic in relation to OLM's.
For years, they've been brainwashing everyone to change ALL oil at 3000 miles. OLM's, as we all know from our HHR's advise you to go well beyond 3000, some as high as 10,000 miles. Another nameless synthetic oil company has been pushing extended drain intervals for years, so now Mobil has supposedly "reformulated" and is telling customers to run the oil for 10,000 miles or so. The truth is, they could have told you that 20 years ago, you could run MUCH longer than 3000 miles, it's only when they are painted into a corner that they give up the goose that laid the golden egg.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
but you obviously aren't running Mobil 1. I have seen flat tappet cams wipeout within just a few oil changes once they started running different synthetics instead of convential oils. I know Amsoil is ok to run with flat tappets, but you have to be careful when you put out a blanket statement like you did. Some people, that don't know any better, or don't look into things, will think that all synthetics are ok for flat tappets and that definitely isn't true.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by diskullman

Mobil is currently having a problem with their synthetic in relation to OLM's.
For years, they've been brainwashing everyone to change ALL oil at 3000 miles. OLM's, as we all know from our HHR's advise you to go well beyond 3000, some as high as 10,000 miles. Another nameless synthetic oil company has been pushing extended drain intervals for years, so now Mobil has supposedly "reformulated" and is telling customers to run the oil for 10,000 miles or so. The truth is, they could have told you that 20 years ago, you could run MUCH longer than 3000 miles, it's only when they are painted into a corner that they give up the goose that laid the golden egg.
Would you care to explain this in a little detail? I don't understand how the OLM KNOWS if you're using synthetic, or olive, peanut, or "fossil" oil.

I don't believe Exxon/Mobil is specifically stating you should run the oil for 10,000 miles. I believe the disclaimer is check with your Owners Manual and/or manufacturer to determine the proper lengths (the same as some nameless synthetic oil companies). At least that's what it essentially says on the bottles I purchased today.

Now what I did notice is Mobil 1 has an "advanced" product that has a REPORTED extended 10,000-12,000 mile life. That oil, however, does not MEET OR EXCEED the GM spec.s'......much like other nameless synthetic oils it is RECOMMENDED by the oil manufacturer......which is a misleading play on words, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Autozone $10 off Mobil 1 synthetic 5 qts