The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Autozone $10 off Mobil 1 synthetic 5 qts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Snoopy-
"Now what I did notice is Mobil 1 has an "advanced" product that has a REPORTED extended 10,000-12,000 mile life. That oil, however, does not MEET OR EXCEED the GM spec.s'......"

That wouldn't be the M1 Extended Performance oil, or would it be Mobil Super ?
Old 07-15-2011, 01:28 PM

No, not all sythetics have the extra zinc, but many companies have come up with products with extra zinc and phos, to replace the oils that are no longer available, not just the brand I use. I never claimed ALL synthetics were good for flat tappet engines, merely that there is now an option.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Would you care to explain this in a little detail? I don't understand how the OLM KNOWS if you're using synthetic, or olive, peanut, or "fossil" oil.

I don't believe Exxon/Mobil is specifically stating you should run the oil for 10,000 miles. I believe the disclaimer is check with your Owners Manual and/or manufacturer to determine the proper lengths (the same as some nameless synthetic oil companies). At least that's what it essentially says on the bottles I purchased today.

Now what I did notice is Mobil 1 has an "advanced" product that has a REPORTED extended 10,000-12,000 mile life. That oil, however, does not MEET OR EXCEED the GM spec.s'......much like other nameless synthetic oils it is RECOMMENDED by the oil manufacturer......which is a misleading play on words, in my opinion.
Who would you rather be misled by?

Mobil is just now coming out and mentioning extended drain intervals. They now MUST do this to be compatible with today's OLM's. They are FINALLY admitting that you should go by your vehicle manufacturer's specs, and also admitting that their own oil will last longer. They knew that 30 years ago, but kept perpetuating the 3000 mile myth.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:40 PM

I tried it at Walmart yesterday and they denied it (Leesburg, FL). I purchased it anyway and then returned it today when I realized that Mobil 1 had changed the specs. Something new called Dexos1 and it says ExxonMobile recommends it for GM4718M uses, but stops short of saying it meets that spec. Then I went to GM and their info on Dexos1 says it is OK to use providing the container has the Dexos1 logo on the front (Walmart did) AND the GM license 11 digit code on the back of the container (Walmarts did not). So that is why I returned it. Then I went to Car Quest and purchased 4 gallon containers of the Mobile 1 5W-30 which is marked as meeting GM' spec GM4718M for high performance use. Something has changed here and I am not so sure GM and Mobil are being above board with the changes. GM may have downgraded the original spec to the new Dexos1 spec. as a cost cutter. Just my guess, but I have enough oil to do my changes now for over a year using the original GM 4718M spec oil. By the way, the CarQuest store was selling the 4 quart containers for $21 & change.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

I guess I'm more "disappointed" in their reduced integrity. It's to bad they felt the need to resort to the same misleading advertising that some other companies use. I thought they were above that kind of trash since they have about 50% of the synthetic oil market (according to a salespersons statement on another Forum), more than all other synthetic producers combined. Nobody at this point is capable of outselling/out producing/ or gaining on them. Cheap advertising, IMO

But they resorted to this previously, in the Pennzoil challenge.

But to answer your question very directly..I would expect to be mislead by those companies attempting to gain market share, from Mobil 1, by producing and employing deceptive marketing. Is it low, you bet. As stated above, not from the #1.

Enough off topic, however.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Founding Member

I started working at dealerships in 1975. Mobil1 was brand new and they stated 25,000 mile oil changes. I remember this well, because we all talked about how that just wasn't going to happen.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Mobil was not always #1 in that market, they are not the technology leader in the synthetic market either, and were quite reluctant to enter the market in the first place. Nobody wants to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sidecardog1
Something new called Dexos1 and it says ExxonMobile recommends it for GM4718M uses, but stops short of saying it meets that spec. Then I went to GM and their info on Dexos1 says it is OK to use providing the container has the Dexos1 logo on the front (Walmart did) AND the GM license 11 digit code on the back of the container (Walmarts did not).
I do believe that Dexos 1 is a semi-syn oil..

I'll be sticking to M1

I have since studied on the "M1 Extended Performance" not meeting GM specs..

I don't believe that it is because of the oil, but the listed extended use 12 to 15K or 1 year. ..

That's just my .02
Old 07-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Have a read, folks.

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html
Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Here's another:
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...ification.html

Quick Reply: Autozone $10 off Mobil 1 synthetic 5 qts